Sponsored

Shake, rattle, and roll...

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Or at least the Rattle part on interior, hardtop pieces and surrounding roll bar moldings. Up to almost 6K miles now and I've developed a few rattles. Up to now, I've been able to tighten a bolt here and there and stop most, but I've got one now from the passenger side that I haven't been able to find yet.

I kind of thought, a certain amount of rattle s probably unavoidable long term on a Hard top Jeep that gets taken off road occasionally. I haven't gone completely topless yet (only freedom panels out), and have never had the doors off. But I have found that I aquire new rattles after most off-roading. So far I've been able to get rid of them by tightening the door screws, roll bar plastic molding screws, and freedom panel quick release mechanisms. I'm sure I'll find this new one, just might take me a little longer.

How's your "rattle level"? Is it just a "jeep thing" as I expect? Curious to see what others are experiencing.
Sponsored

DFWJEEP

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Or at least the Rattle part on interior, hardtop pieces and surrounding roll bar moldings. Up to almost 6K miles now and I've developed a few rattles. Up to now, I've been able to tighten a bolt here and there and stop most, but I've got one now from the passenger side that I haven't been able to find yet.

I kind of thought, a certain amount of rattle s probably unavoidable long term on a Hard top Jeep that gets taken off road occasionally. I haven't gone completely topless yet (only freedom panels out), and have never had the doors off. But I have found that I aquire new rattles after most off-roading. So far I've been able to get rid of them by tightening the door screws, roll bar plastic molding screws, and freedom panel quick release mechanisms. I'm sure I'll find this new one, just might take me a little longer.

How's your "rattle level"? Is it just a "jeep thing" as I expect? Curious to see what others are experiencing.
I have a rattle in the same area that sound like the top, but is in the rear seat. It goes away if I lower the back seat and I can make it happen by just pushing on the back seat when it is in the upright position. Let me know if this might be the same issue you are having.

OP
OP
ATLalien

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I have a rattle in the same area that sound like the top, but is in the rear seat. It goes away if I lower the back seat and I can make it happen by just pushing on the back seat when it is in the upright position. Let me know if this might be the same issue you are having.
Interesting, I had not checked the seat, but will try that tonight. The one I'm tracking down now sounds like it's coming from the front, passenger roof or molding, but I'll try that tonight.

Do you have a lot of rattles generally, especially after off-roading?

DFWJEEP

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Interesting, I had not checked the seat, but will try that tonight. The one I'm tracking down now sounds like it's coming from the front, passenger roof or molding, but I'll try that tonight.

Do you have a lot of rattles generally, especially after off-roading?
I just have the one right now.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say I've been off-road with it yet but one road I've taken is beat to heck, even the patched patches are patched with pavement heaves here and there. Twice in two years a train derailed and fell over onto the highway busting it up bad when they brought in equipment to clear the rail line.
It's a road that literally cracked another car I have, and my JT took it just fine and is quiet as a dead mouse. Not a squeak or rattle. Only 380 miles on it but still, very quiet.

Sponsored

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Over 10,000 miles and the only rattles was a loose bolt on the drivers freedom top ( my fault) and the occasional rattle from the trailer hitch in the receiver on rough roads. The bass used to rattle the sound bar sometimes but that has gone mostly away. I was going to add foam in there but don't see the need now yet.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I drive gravel roads daily. My main rattle comes from the passenger rear where the hardtop/tub/door come together. If I loosen the hard top bolts, shift the top 1/16th inch, and retorque the bolt the noise goes away. Last time I had the top off I guess I forgot to do that.

OP
OP
ATLalien

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Interesting, I thought most of these trucks would just develop rattles over enough time and enough rough road with all removable junction points. Sounds like you guys don't have as many rattles as I do on the whole.
Maybe there's a relationship to mileage? Anyone have 6K plus, with a little off-road and no rattles at all? I didn't have many either until I racked up maybe 2000 miles and a couple off-road outings (nothing close to serious, just forest service roads). Now with 6K, seems like I need to re-tighten all the roof stuff every couple weeks. That usually does stop them, but they come back. I've never even had the roof or doors off yet, but use the freedom panels on the regular.

Tried putting the rear seat down as was suggested, but apparently that was not the source of my current rattle.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
10,000+ miles, a good bit off road. That's where I usually hear a rattle. Like I said if I have a hitch in the receiver, that will rattle. The one other rattle I had was the drivers side freedom panel. I didn't tighten the rear left bolt completely. It was driving me crazy for a few miles until I stopped to check it out and tighten it.

This is a well equipped Rubicon also. I test drove a sport and an overland and both were tinny sounding and not pleasing at all to me. I remember at the time thinking this will only get worse. I've had the top and doors off numerous times and still no rattles.

ijeep2

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator
I had a rattle in the same read passenger area and it ended up being the seat belt. It went away if I buckled the seat belt, flipped the seat down or used the clip to keep the buckle from rattling against the corner wall.

Sponsored

1STJ100

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
TV Director
7600 miles. not a squeak.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At 600 miles I actually heard a rattle. Oh, man, on a Jeep that's otherwise pretty quiet? It was only when on certain rough spots that caused it to jounce in a certain way.
Aha! Idea......... Pulled the left rear seat forward, padded my hitch pins and locks I had stashed behind the seat, put the seat back. Rattle gone.

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I had a rattle in the same read passenger area and it ended up being the seat belt. It went away if I buckled the seat belt, flipped the seat down or used the clip to keep the buckle from rattling against the corner wall.
Found the same cause on my gladiator.
Drove me nuts for two weeks, embarrassing fix.

also have very bad rattle coming from the freedom panels, the latch on the passenger rear is loose.
Took it into the dealer and they couldn’t fix it so they had to order a new top.
They keep pushing out the replacement saying they had to do a redesign on the top.
Going on 3 months now.

Last edited:

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Only current rattle I have after 2K miles is self induced - Added a breakerbar and extension to the underseat storage. Have to add the tool box to the Deck'd system get that out of the cabin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Only current rattle I have after 2K miles is self induced - Added a breakerbar and extension to the underseat storage. Have to add the tool box to the Deck'd system get that out of the cabin
Put them in sections of old hose - like old heater or garden hose. Or like I did, saved the thin foam bags I get stuff in. Amazing how much a 1/8" thick piece of those styrofoam type bags can do.
Sponsored