Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Message sent with requested information. Thank you. Perhaps if we can work to resolve this - find the cause, it would help others who may see the issue get a resolution more quickly.
If I am out in my shop working, due to my living in a rural area with spotty cell service and the fact my shop is a 2 story double steel wall insulated building - I can't get calls out there. I CAN get emails as I have my network extended into my shop and have wi-fi and my chromebook out there. Otherwise I check messages when I return to the house in case I miss a call.
Does your cell phone provider support Wi-Fi calling? There are also extenders available that will pick up the cell signal and relay it to the inside of your shop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Does your cell phone provider support Wi-Fi calling? There are also extenders available that will pick up the cell signal and relay it to the inside of your shop.
The cell repeaters are system specific to some extent - and like with me, I bought one years ago for the home before the towers came out here and it's 3G and old technology so there's about 400 bucks out the window. They aren't cheap and you have to buy one that supports your system. One that works with AT&T may not work with Verizon for example (just pulling names out of the air)
The ones that actually work are NOT cheap. Hundreds of dollars.
Wi-fi calling simply means that your call goes out over your network and you have an adapter that takes the signal transmits it over your internet service provider to their system that puts it on the cell system. We had to install one in our of our state offices (Mason City, Iowa) because there was no Verizon cell coverage in downtown Mason City! Now the kicker - since it uses your ISP to get out - it uses your data - your bandwidth. I'd only use that for emergencies - because our cell provider IS our ISP since we can't get broadband out here. So we are very limited data-wise. Our cell bills were running about $300 a month for a while until I re-arranged our "package" and got it cut down a bit.
So I don't want much going out over our data. I'd never take ordinary calls. Only emergencies or important things.
In any case, I'd have to get the equipment and install it - it has to connect to your home network.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The cell repeaters are system specific to some extent - and like with me, I bought one years ago for the home before the towers came out here and it's 3G and old technology so there's about 400 bucks out the window. They aren't cheap and you have to buy one that supports your system. One that works with AT&T may not work with Verizon for example (just pulling names out of the air)
The ones that actually work are NOT cheap. Hundreds of dollars.
Wi-fi calling simply means that your call goes out over your network and you have an adapter that takes the signal transmits it over your internet service provider to their system that puts it on the cell system. We had to install one in our of our state offices (Mason City, Iowa) because there was no Verizon cell coverage in downtown Mason City! Now the kicker - since it uses your ISP to get out - it uses your data - your bandwidth. I'd only use that for emergencies - because our cell provider IS our ISP since we can't get broadband out here. So we are very limited data-wise. Our cell bills were running about $300 a month for a while until I re-arranged our "package" and got it cut down a bit.
So I don't want much going out over our data. I'd never take ordinary calls. Only emergencies or important things.
In any case, I'd have to get the equipment and install it - it has to connect to your home network.
I have one of the AT&T microcell's attached to my network. It is essentially a mini cell tower that sits inside the house. It was originally 3G and at some point was upgraded to 4G capability. The function provided by this box is now built into most newer smartphones. If your carrier supports it, it is an option on the phone you can turn on and off.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of the AT&T microcell's attached to my network. It is essentially a mini cell tower that sits inside the house. It was originally 3G and at some point was upgraded to 4G capability. The function provided by this box is now built into most newer smartphones. If your carrier supports it, it is an option on the phone you can turn on and off.
It's not in our new LG phones. there is no such feature.
(It wasn't in any of the phones we had at the state before I retired for that matter - we had to get the providers to provide the devices - of course for a fee)
Like I said, I'd have to have a device connected to the network, and that means it would consume our limited bandwidth. But that doesn't matter because there is no such device for our carrier - only some carriers provide those - AT&T and Verizon, for example. USCellular doesn't have such a device. We don't use the other carriers because their service doesn't work where we live (or in a few other places in Iowa for that matter).
Anyone who uses them for a provider ends up having to drive up the road to use their phones. So far the only carrier that works in our area is USCC. It's funny to watch people get frustrated trying to receive calls. It was really funny when a guy with a very expensive high-end iPhone found it wouldn't work out here. Yup - not the best antenna in the world, eh? LOL
Contrary to popular belief or what the cell companies would have you believe, the whole country isn't covered, even some cities aren't well covered.
There is no DSL, no cable, out here. None. Cable and DSL both are about 3 or 4 miles away.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's not in our new LG phones. there is no such feature.
(It wasn't in any of the phones we had at the state before I retired for that matter - we had to get the providers to provide the devices - of course for a fee)
Like I said, I'd have to have a device connected to the network, and that means it would consume our limited bandwidth. But that doesn't matter because there is no such device for our carrier - only some carriers provide those - AT&T and Verizon, for example. USCellular doesn't have such a device. We don't use the other carriers because their service doesn't work where we live (or in a few other places in Iowa for that matter).
Anyone who uses them for a provider ends up having to drive up the road to use their phones. So far the only carrier that works in our area is USCC. It's funny to watch people get frustrated trying to receive calls. It was really funny when a guy with a very expensive high-end iPhone found it wouldn't work out here. Yup - not the best antenna in the world, eh? LOL
Contrary to popular belief or what the cell companies would have you believe, the whole country isn't covered, even some cities aren't well covered.
There is no DSL, no cable, out here. None. Cable and DSL both are about 3 or 4 miles away.
At&t no longer advertises the microcell's. They still support them, but I don't think they sell them anymore. Instead, they activate the wi-fi calling feature in the phones. I still have one because my sister uses a flip phone (Samsung Rugby). She doesn't want a smartphone because it wouldn't survive very long.

I looked at one of the generic repeaters when my microcell died. They were $300+ for a good one. Luckily, I found another microcell on ebay for around $100.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
At&t no longer advertises the microcell's. They still support them, but I don't think they sell them anymore. Instead, they activate the wi-fi calling feature in the phones. I still have one because my sister uses a flip phone (Samsung Rugby). She doesn't want a smartphone because it wouldn't survive very long.

I looked at one of the generic repeaters when my microcell died. They were $300+ for a good one. Luckily, I found another microcell on ebay for around $100.
Yeah, I think I paid 350 or so for the one I bought a few years back. It was top of the line then but technology has changed and it no longer works with the new phone systems. I think it was a different frequency or something - I've forgotten the details.
A repeater would work fine because my shop is tall and an antenna on the roof would catch cell signals "ok". Not great because my shop is also in a low spot, but it's 27' high to the peak.

shop-2019.jpg

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
It popped up again today. Seems almost random. Sometimes I am driving, sometimes I'm sitting putting on my seat belt after starting the truck as it sits in the lean-to of my shop. Today I was on the way home from doctor and it popped up and stayed there until I hit ok. In fact it always stays there until I hit ok. The music kept playing and nothing seems to have stopped but this is like the 4th or 5th time...

apps-unavailable.jpg
yep - mine just did this as well - greyed out a bunch of apps...I PM'd Jeep Cares, hope they can fix this...

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yep - mine just did this as well - greyed out a bunch of apps...I PM'd Jeep Cares, hope they can fix this...
I've never had it on the app screen - always on media/music, so I've not noticed apps being greyed out. I'll have to drive with it on the apps or something. Hard to watch the screen when merging into heavy interstate traffic.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
:angry: Yeah, something is definitely not working. I hope they can figure out easily and not just start swapping components out until it goes away. I will keep you updated with what my dealer says.
I've never had it on the app screen - always on media/music, so I've not noticed apps being greyed out. I'll have to drive with it on the apps or something. Hard to watch the screen when merging into heavy interstate traffic.
Hi everyone,

I reached out to Uconnect engineering to get this concern resolved. I've been told that making an appointment with your dealer and having them do a hard reset should stop the apps from greying out. Please let me know if you need any assistance with getting in contact with your dealer. I would be happy to help.

Alison
JeepCares

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Hi everyone,

I reached out to Uconnect engineering to get this concern resolved. I've been told that making an appointment with your dealer and having them do a hard reset should stop the apps from greying out. Please let me know if you need any assistance with getting in contact with your dealer. I would be happy to help.

Alison
JeepCares
excellent - thanks

Sponsored

bloran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline. Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Hi everyone,

Alison
JeepCares
Thanks Alison. I’m taking mine to dealer Monday and will have them do this and report back if it works.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

Alison
JeepCares
Thanks for checking - I'm not going clear across the county to the selling dealer and through their crazy maze of service writers - will take it to a closer smaller dealership and show them your message.

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Thanks for checking - I'm not going clear across the county to the selling dealer and through their crazy maze of service writers - will take it to a closer smaller dealership and show them your message.
Mine cleared after I I used the UConnct phone app to connect to my Jeep - I’ll wait and see if it happens again...

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine cleared after I I used the UConnct phone app to connect to my Jeep - I’ll wait and see if it happens again...
Already did that - I've had the phone app check my Jeep status, fuel level and even use the lock/unlock etc. and connected my phone directly via cable to check out the other features (not a fan - will likely keep using bluetooth)

bigbeerdrinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKU Sahara, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I am not getting the App message that you all are getting yet, but I noticed yesterday, and today that my "OffRoad Pages" app keeps disappearing. I wasn't there yesterday day while I was driving, but it showed back up on my way home last night. Then this morning on the way to work I checked and it was there. I happened to check again when I arrived at work while I was parked, and it disappeared again. Very strange...wondering if I should have mine reset as well @JeepCares
Sponsored