Rock Rails Thread

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Roam just sent me a pic of their body mount JT Rails :like:
We have the same set on my wife's 4dr and they have taken a fair amount of abuse from Rocks and our 4 wild boys.
They informed me that JT sets will all be E-Coated unlike the early JL steps
1127_1.jpg
I like how roam re-engineered a whole new part and didn't just slap an extension piece onto their jl rail like RSE did.
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I must say that those are some very nice looking steps. I just wonder how wide(deep) the step part is. I would have been interested in them if they had them available when I first got my Gladiator a couple of months ago. Ended up getting some N-Fab Predator Pro steps. Very wide steps, very easy to step on to and a nice drop down to make the step up and into my truck easy for a person like me, born short. But the one thing that bugs me a little bit about them is that they show “N-Fab” on them. I really don’t like to be a rolling advertisement for anyone.

The Roam steps don’t have the brand name on them. And it looks like the steps offer great grip to them. But the step part does that appear to be too deep. Makes me wonder if it’s easy to step fully onto them. Again very nice looking.

Hey @steffen707 please give a full report on them if you put a pair on Gladys. Same thing for you @TTEChris

Roam just sent me a pic of their body mount JT Rails :like:
We have the same set on my wife's 4dr and they have taken a fair amount of abuse from Rocks and our 4 wild boys.
They informed me that JT sets will all be E-Coated unlike the early JL steps
1127_1.jpg

meon4wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I like these a lot...but have heard some issues with corrosion. Especially living in the rust belt area. If I wasn't concerned about that I'd jump on these.
Same here. I had these steps on my 2011 JK. Strong and provided excellent side protection. Unfortunately mine started rusting after the first winter. - they sent me a little bottle of touch up paint! Actuation system required regular lube which created a mess. One side locked up @3 yrs and had to replace the motor. Traded the JK this year for a JT and the steps were pretty rusted at that point. I really like the RSE design and protection - but don't want to lay out that kind of money again to go through the same experience. AMP research should be more corrosion resistant but I want something that sticks out further for more side protection. Unless I can be convinced RSE coating is much improved, I think I'll wait this out for a while and watch this thread for some real world experience.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I like how roam re-engineered a whole new part and didn't just slap an extension piece onto their jl rail like RSE did.
they just messaged me. Body mounted for now at $699 and they’re testing out the frame mounted version shortly. Not too much longer!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
they just messaged me. Body mounted for now at $699 and they’re testing out the frame mounted version shortly. Not too much longer!
i too got an email from Anthony! YAY!

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
i too got an email from Anthony! YAY!
While we're waiting, what are your thoughts on Body vs. Frame mounted? Everything I've researched leads me to believe there isn't much of a difference for someone doing light to moderate offroading. Heard any different?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While we're waiting, what are your thoughts on Body vs. Frame mounted? Everything I've researched leads me to believe there isn't much of a difference for someone doing light to moderate offroading. Heard any different?
i thought i replied to this, didn't work.

i think body would be fine for most abuse. I doubt i'll ever "NEED" frame mounted, but it just seems to make more sense in my head to absorb the impact to the frame, not to the body......Frame seems tougher, unless you're talking Tesla Cybertruck whos doors are its frame..... :lipssealed:

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I don't think its either / or for body / frame mount. Based on how your going to use your jeep - having both or hybrid of both gives you the best support. Even if you had a strong frame mount - tying into the body is going to give you additional reinforcement to minimize any flex or give in the rock rail as you drop onto it. Frame mount might be stiff - but 12" of leverage it will move a bit. Tying into the body at the pinch weld will also allow for moving the body with the rail. that all said - big and bulky is going to have more opportunity to catch, hang up or drag on a obstacle.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Personally I don't think its either / or for body / frame mount. Based on how your going to use your jeep - having both or hybrid of both gives you the best support. Even if you had a strong frame mount - tying into the body is going to give you additional reinforcement to minimize any flex or give in the rock rail as you drop onto it. Frame mount might be stiff - but 12" of leverage it will move a bit. Tying into the body at the pinch weld will also allow for moving the body with the rail. that all said - big and bulky is going to have more opportunity to catch, hang up or drag on a obstacle.
I think it would be tough to tie into both the frame and body since the body tends to "float" over the frame due to the rubber body mounts.

The frame mount sliders typically have a bigger gap to account for the body movement which to me is a bit of an eyesore if you don't wheel hard enough to really need them. I've had both on our JL's and while the frame mount are stronger we have dented one of the body mount set bouncing on a rock and they didn't budge where they mount to the body :rock:

Sponsored

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Is there someone at ROAM (Anthony?) I should email to be on a waiting or email list when available?
you could. Either that or just put a watch on this thread. between myself and Steffen, it won't be public knowledge for more than 5 minutes before one of us posts about it :CWL:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tying into the body at the pinch weld will also allow for moving the body with the rail.
I read that doing both is a bad idea. The body can't move independent of the frame then and then stuff starts to get tweaked.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you could. Either that or just put a watch on this thread. between myself and Steffen, it won't be public knowledge for more than 5 minutes before one of us posts about it :CWL:
got that right!

@MadMan81 anthony at roamoffroad.com

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
My bars must be nearing completion just received the invoice
Screenshot_20191203-072544.png

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been researching for awhile now, between getting good rock rails and good rock skins its just expensive. I found these at gladiator motorsports from JCR. so far this is the best price i could find and the best looking with the easiest installation.

https://www.gladiatormotorsport.com...usader-2020-and-jeep-gladiator-jt-jcr-offroad

JTSL-CRL-BARE_3-JCR.jpg
Anybody sell the rock skins that aren't also part of the rock rail? I want to add some to the roam rails once I get them.
Sponsored