Is Recalibration Needed for going to 33’s

Forshy1075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I am toying with the idea of getting a Tazer Lite to recalibrate the speedometer for the 33’s I’ll be putting on my Sport S. Part of me is wondering if it’s necessary going from stock ~31.5” tires to 33”. Besides the speedometer reading slightly lower of a speed is there anything that I am missing that will be effected with not recalibrating for the 33’s?

Thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I am toying with the idea of getting a Tazer Lite to recalibrate the speedometer for the 33’s I’ll be putting on my Sport S. Part of me is wondering if it’s necessary going from stock ~31.5” tires to 33”. Besides the speedometer reading slightly lower of a speed is there anything that I am missing that will be effected with not recalibrating for the 33’s?

Thanks in advanced!

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Looks like you have a 1-1.5mph increase in actuals vs read in the 20-35mph range, and a 3-4mph difference in the 60-80mph range. If these 33s will be spending a lot of time on your vehicle then I would recalibrate, but if like me you have a set of street wheel/tires and a set of off-road wheels/tires then I wouldn’t recalibrate

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I up graded to Rubicon wheels and M/T 33s on my my Sport S with max tow.
At 70 MPH speedo was reading 4 off. Corrected by the RC correction unit. Speedo now matches two independent GPS units. Had to use 32.5 inches as the new tire height. Truck now feels much better on the highway and around town. Very solid feel.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Besides the speedometer reading slightly lower of a speed is there anything that I am missing that will be effected with not recalibrating for the 33’s?
Recalibrating also should change your transmission shift points.

OP
OP

Forshy1075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Thanks guys for the replies. I will most likely go ahead and get a tazer to do the cal, should I be concerned about voiding warranty if I do the cal? I know when I had my Chevy Colorado the dealers service departments would check the on board CPU when checking in for service. They would tell me they are checking for any modifications by a 3rd part application. I was told they were required to do this as any mod to the CPU would void any warranty.

Sponsored

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon

Thanks in advanced!
In addition to what pyrpatriot the larger tire size will through off all your computer functions that rely on your tire size such as your MPG's. A 33" tire will travel almost 5" more per rotation than a 31.5" tire.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't re calibrate, the mileage calculated on your odometer will also be incorrect.

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Thanks guys for the replies. I will most likely go ahead and get a tazer to do the cal, should I be concerned about voiding warranty if I do the cal? I know when I had my Chevy Colorado the dealers service departments would check the on board CPU when checking in for service. They would tell me they are checking for any modifications by a 3rd part application. I was told they were required to do this as any mod to the CPU would void any warranty.
Supposedly the Taser will not show as long as you unmarry before you take it in for service....

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I up graded to Rubicon wheels and M/T 33s on my my Sport S with max tow.
At 70 MPH speedo was reading 4 off. Corrected by the RC correction unit. Speedo now matches two independent GPS units. Had to use 32.5 inches as the new tire height. Truck now feels much better on the highway and around town. Very solid feel.
Was towing capability affected at all?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If you don't re calibrate, the mileage calculated on your odometer will also be incorrect.
....which could (and should) also void your warranty.

Get the Tazer. It's useful for a LOT of things, not just tires. The Rubicon tires are 4% taller than Sport tires (from my own measurements with a level and tape measure) so it's worth it in the long run to correct your instrument cluster.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
....which could (and should) also void your warranty.

Get the Tazer. It's useful for a LOT of things, not just tires. The Rubicon tires are 4% taller than Sport tires (from my own measurements with a level and tape measure) so it's worth it in the long run to correct your instrument cluster.
Does using the Tazer void any warranties?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I sometimes run 255/75/17 for shorter periods (i.e. off-roading or for about 1000 miles when we get a snow storm), does the increase from my 245/75/17 require a recalibration? It seems like the difference is so small it is negligible.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Does using the Tazer void any warranties?
It shouldn't, because it's not altering how the powertrain functions in any way. All it's doing is calibrating the instruments so they're correct. No honest dealership should ever throw a fit about that.

Having said that, on the rare occasions that I take my Jeep in for service, I'll unmarry my Tazer and plug the security gateway harness back in before dropping the Jeep off. No sense in giving them a reason to look for something.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It shouldn't, because it's not altering how the powertrain functions in any way. All it's doing is calibrating the instruments so they're correct. No honest dealership should ever throw a fit about that.

Having said that, on the rare occasions that I take my Jeep in for service, I'll unmarry my Tazer and plug the security gateway harness back in before dropping the Jeep off. No sense in giving them a reason to look for something.
So a Taser needs to be continuously plugged in? If you take it off it goes back to factory? Does the car’s computer log the new device?
Sponsored