Sponsored

Hidden fees?

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
So you've gotten your 7% below invoice and worked all of that out. Now the dealer goes to mention misc fees you have to pay on top of that

What fees do dealers normally charge you on top of the vehicle cost? What are some nonsense fees to avoid?

Normal:
Destination fee ($1500)
Tax and title (varies by state)
???

Nonsense:
Detailing
Market adjustment
???
Sponsored

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
just a heads up...destination fee is included in the vehicle price. it's right on the window sticker. there shouldn't be an extra line on the bill of sale for destination.

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Technically tax/title isn't a fee and has nothing to do with you and the dealer (other than they probably must collect). What I asked for was an out-the-door price with a breakdown. I think the only fee above the destination that I paid (it's required), was $550 admin fee with processing the transaction at 6% below invoice.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Admin or Documentation (Doc Fees) are usually a dealers way of marking up the price. When you negotiate, you should ask up front if they charge a doc fee. My dealer was kind enough to subtract their doc fee from the price of the vehicle.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
I was charged a doc fee of about $100; its a pretty standard thing when they're creating all the paperwork for you to sign

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
My plan is to make offers that are phrased: $X + tax, title. How they get there is up to them!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So you've gotten your 7% below invoice and worked all of that out. Now the dealer goes to mention misc fees you have to pay on top of that

What fees do dealers normally charge you on top of the vehicle cost? What are some nonsense fees to avoid?

Normal:
Destination fee ($1500)
Tax and title (varies by state)
???

Nonsense:
Detailing
Market adjustment
???
It's amazing how many people don't figure the tax and such as part of the cost of buying - then get shocked when all is said and done. They figure gee, I'm paying xx,xxx dollars and am done - then get shocked by a 5% fee - which is based at least in Iowa on the vehicle cost minus the value of your trade. So if you don't trade anything in, you pay the 5% on the full purchase price. It can really add up.
It's another 2500 on a 50,000 vehicle.

The other stuff -detailing? Really? Shouldn't cleaning it all up and checking it over and giving a bath as needed be part of dealer prep which they should figure as part of selling a vehicle?
Anyone can sell product x, it's what the value added is that makes one seller better than another.
That's what we figured when we owned our store years ago - anyone can sell the products we did - we blew away the competition by our value added.

OP
OP

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
It's amazing how many people don't figure the tax and such as part of the cost of buying - then get shocked when all is said and done.

The other stuff -detailing? Really?
Exactly! I'm just trying to think of what extra costs there will be that should be expected and what extra garbage the dealer may try to add in to line their pockets

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want
Or just email me, $75 admin/doc fee, 5% under invoice with affiliate pricing, plenty of members on here can comment on their experience with us. Can have you in and out of the store in 20 mins or less when delivery day comes

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Or just email me, $75 admin/doc fee, 5% under invoice with affiliate pricing, plenty of members on here can comment on their experience with us. Can have you in and out of the store in 20 mins or less when delivery day comes
I was going to email you as my wife asked me if it would be realistic to trade our 1,100 mile fairly well loaded Overland for something with more capability - more towing and a bit more payload. I told her all I could do is ask.
I think part of it was not just hearing how much less towing the Overland has, but the fact that we missed getting proximity locks and there was something else, too, but can't think of now. Can't add the proximity locks later.
May not be worth doing now....... and the guy we ended up going through the the opposite of hard sell - he never tried, never even hinted about up-selling, never once said "if you do this you can get that". I don't like pushy sales people but I DO want them to offer up things I hadn't thought of or didn't know about. But she asked me what it would cost, if it was doable and if any dealer would even think about taking a new JT in trade for another. I said all I can do is get bad news in response.

Sponsored

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want
I was going to email you as my wife asked me if it would be realistic to trade our 1,100 mile fairly well loaded Overland for something with more capability - more towing and a bit more payload. I told her all I could do is ask.
I think part of it was not just hearing how much less towing the Overland has, but the fact that we missed getting proximity locks and there was something else, too, but can't think of now. Can't add the proximity locks later.
May not be worth doing now....... and the guy we ended up going through the the opposite of hard sell - he never tried, never even hinted about up-selling, never once said "if you do this you can get that". I don't like pushy sales people but I DO want them to offer up things I hadn't thought of or didn't know about. But she asked me what it would cost, if it was doable and if any dealer would even think about taking a new JT in trade for another. I said all I can do is get bad news in response.

You can do anything you want, but as I suspect you already know, its gunna hurt

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was tossing stuff around in my head and figured that since we paid almost MSRP for this one, the only discount was after I showed them what you could do........ then they balked - anyway, since we paid almost MSRP and the raw MSRP for what we have and the same thing in a Rubicon is only about 3500 - if we got one less than MSRP it could be not much difference but then the value of ours being titled drops and that's the unknown. The value of what we have.
If I compared the MSRP to what we have to the MSRP of a Rubicon with the same options, and add in the proximity locks, the price, MSRP is almost exactly 3 grand (and don't tell me wife or she'd really have a fit that I didn't spend 3 grand more and move up a notch) but at the time, the dealer never even showed us anything else and never brought up any other configs on the screen, like he didn't want to sell Rubicon or thought the price would scare us away. It was actually rather funny how opposite he was as far as sales people.
So given that the MSRP numbers are about 3-3500, a Rubicon with any sort of discount drops that difference down a bit, the only question is how hard we'd be hit on this one at this point.
What's the worst that can happen? We see - and decide - naw, stay put. I have no clue what my wife's numbers are in her mind. I never know until later.

(I always have my WJ I could sell to raise cash, too, I guess....... and that would get the JT in the garage instead of out under a lean-to. )

Last edited:

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
Avg Odo (mi)

Avg Cond
Typical Range
$45,100 -$46,800

this is current wholesale for your Overland.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Avg Odo (mi)

Avg Cond
Typical Range
$45,100 -$46,800

this is current wholesale for your Overland.
So you are saying 10 grand down right off the lot? LOL, sorry, not even close.
Besides, how can you call a new JT average - it's actually a 10 out of 10 because it's totally clean, loaded, plus the miles are 1100.
Don't know where you got that info - but you are saying that these drop about 10 - 11 grand right off the lot.
Even my 9 year old Silverado was "above average" condition. Can't see a month old truck being only average.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So you are saying 10 grand down right off the lot? LOL, sorry, not even close.
Besides, how can you call a new JT average - it's actually a 10 out of 10 because it's totally clean, loaded, plus the miles are 1100.
Don't know where you got that info - but you are saying that these drop about 10 - 11 grand right off the lot.
Even my 9 year old Silverado was "above average" condition. Can't see a month old truck being only average.
You are stuck in a bad position because you are competing with new below invoice pricing that most dealers are going to factor in on what they offer for a trade in value.

Buyers remorse always has a financial penalty. I traded my then 3 month old 2018 JL on a RAM 2500 and it was $7K hit for me unless I wanted to try and private party sale it but that has it's own value of time equation to it.
Sponsored