• Poll closed .
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I wish I could take credit for the box. I just researched and mounted it. I did find it on Amazon for $30 less than the manufacturer sells it for on their own web site. https://smile.amazon.com/SOUTHWEST-...8?keywords=battery+box&qid=1575372389&sr=8-58

I'll get some better daylight pictures when I finish the wiring. Hoping to get some time to work on it this week.
HA! well thanks for posting up where we can get one. What brand/size battery did you put in there?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
HA! well thanks for posting up where we can get one. What brand/size battery did you put in there?
I put a link in post #12. It's a Marine Deep Cycle AGM type 34M with similar capacity to the factory battery. It just barely fits in the box.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I put a link in post #12. It's a Marine Deep Cycle AGM type 34M with similar capacity to the factory battery. It just barely fits in the box.
Barely fit is good, IMO.
And - you'll be able to drive all around your area jump-starting everyone else in cold weather with all that capacity. Isn't that what Jeeps are for - going anywhere, any time, when and where no one else can go?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Barely fit is good, IMO.
And - you'll be able to drive all around your area jump-starting everyone else in cold weather with all that capacity. Isn't that what Jeeps are for - going anywhere, any time, when and where no one else can go?
That thought did cross my mind. I bought a set of the 16ft Warn jumper cables with the winch.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a daytime shot from a short distance.
20191203_160239.jpg
NICE! Yeah, you dun good. Good quality jumper cables, nice battery box. You give me ideas for my own Overland,.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
NICE! Yeah, you dun good. Good quality jumper cables, nice battery box. You give me ideas for my own Overland,.
Thanks. I'll put up more pictures when I get the wiring done and have it all working.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Boy oh boy look how far you've all come . Remember, in the beginning all the talk of the town was . . . PRICE . . . now so many threads later and the talk of the town is . . . what can I add to make it mine ! I swear some of you are going "all-in" with the extravagances . . . any regrets not just getting a 4x4 camper van with all your favorite "bring HOME along to our next "camping" trip ? Portability is the name of the game with such a small platform to "work with" - a Zamp system or other suits my needs and I am not "cluttering up the tiny bits & pieces with more "crap" adding to the WEIGHT !
But it will be fun & interesting to see all your projects get done - LOTS of PHOTOS . Maybe a RAM with an 8ft. bed would solve some issues ? Still just considering all options . . .

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Here's a daytime shot from a short distance.
20191203_160239.jpg
Wonder if the RSE step can still go there, then you wouldn't see the box at all, is there a similar location on the driver side, or is that blocked by exhaust piping?

One last question, did you have to drill into the frame to mount that?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if the RSE step can still go there, then you wouldn't see the box at all, is there a similar location on the driver side, or is that blocked by exhaust piping?

One last question, did you have to drill into the frame to mount that?
The same space on the driver's side is where the exhaust pipe sits. Depending on how it mounts, there should be space for a step on each side.

I did not have to drill into the frame. There are two threaded spots that accept 10mm bolts. I used the two discarded bolts from the front receiver install to attach the shell to the frame. I put a nutzert in an existing cutout for the third 10mm bolt, and the lowest bolt goes through a hole in the receiver. I did have to drill a couple holes in the mounting shell for the battery box.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The same space on the driver's side is where the exhaust pipe sits. Depending on how it mounts, there should be space for a step on each side.

I did not have to drill into the frame. There are two threaded spots that accept 10mm bolts. I used the two discarded bolts from the front receiver install to attach the shell to the frame. I put a nutzert in an existing cutout for the third 10mm bolt, and the lowest bolt goes through a hole in the receiver. I did have to drill a couple holes in the mounting shell for the battery box.
Well that is very good news.

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Where is the factory inverter? Can we replace it with a 600 or 800 watt somehow ? I just need a little bit more for power tools.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Where is the factory inverter? Can we replace it with a 600 or 800 watt somehow ? I just need a little bit more for power tools.
I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that it sits near or under the steering wheel.

I would check the tools to see what the actual draw is. Use the number for the tool with the highest draw, and look for something that can provide about 20% above that number. Depending on what the need is, a portable power pack or inverter generator might be a better fit than an inverter upgrade.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that it sits near or under the steering wheel.

I would check the tools to see what the actual draw is. Use the number for the tool with the highest draw, and look for something that can provide about 20% above that number. Depending on what the need is, a portable power pack or inverter generator might be a better fit than an inverter upgrade.
likely the 300watt inverter wiring FROM the battery is too small.

As @Mr._Bill said, calculate your watt need, then find out what gauge DC wire you need to feed that inverter.

mortalsphere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator wannabe
This is what you need for an in-bed battery, a battery switch this company has everything you need to get it done it`s really very simple and the run from the battery switch would not be that long. https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/11/Manual_Battery_Switches
Reviving this just to ask about this switch system. Looks great. Where do you put the inverter in this circuit? Is it after the switch, or in between the switch and the charging relay? Thanks!
Sponsored