Indy to Hampton, VA

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR / GCM - 2016 KIA Optima
We are planning a trip this spring from Indy to Hampton, WV. We will be traveling 64 all the way and I'm looking for a simple easy place to get off-road while in-route. Not looking to travel a great distance off 64 to do this and it would be ideal if there were some antique stores near by for the wife as she has no interest in off-roading with me. I say easy because I probably won’t have a winch and recovery gear at that time, I am a JTR with 35” Ridge Grapplers and almost no experience so I just wanna enjoy a trail without any worries plus I gotta start somewhere. Thanks.

18366EA7-B353-4AD7-8183-B8FF16D50609.jpeg
Sponsored

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
We are planning a trip this spring from Indy to Hampton, WV. We will be traveling 64 all the way and I'm looking for a simple easy place to get off-road while in-route. Not looking to travel a great distance off 64 to do this and it would be ideal if there were some antique stores near by for the wife as she has no interest in off-roading with me. I say easy because I probably won’t have a winch and recovery gear at that time, I am a JTR with 35” Ridge Grapplers and almost no experience so I just wanna enjoy a trail without any worries plus I gotta start somewhere. Thanks.

18366EA7-B353-4AD7-8183-B8FF16D50609.jpeg
I can't speak for outside Virginia, but the town of Staunton in western Virginia is one of my favorite little Blue Ridge cities that your wife would love. It's right near where I-64-E splits off from I-81, and totally worth the detour. Check out their visitstauntondotcom website. Tons of antique places, local crafts, and also some very good restaurants (It's been a few years, but the Depot Grille was great last time I went there). Also, for you: About an hour north of Staunton on Rt, 81 just west of Edinburg, Va, is the Peter's Mill Offroad trail in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. This is a relatively easy trail, and as a bonus it's part of the Jeep Badge of Honor Program, so you can get a badge for your Gladiator if you do that run. It might be the closest "Badge of Honor" trail on your route, and many people don't even switch into 4WD if the weather is good. Google "Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System" and you should get the Forest Service website with all the info. FYI, you will need to buy a $5 Forest Service Permit to run the trail.

If you are looking for a more leisurely end to your trip, I would head southeast after the Peters Mill run to the town of Luray, which has a neat little zoo and some of the largest caverns on the east coast, then head a few miles east on Rt. 33, get on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, and wind your way back south to 64. Spending the night at either Skyland Lodge or Big Meadows in the park is an awesome experience, and also totally worth it, with Park Rangers offering free programs every day - the Ranger-guided walking tour through the rare high-altitude wetland meadow at Big Meadows is one of my favorites. You will be refreshed for the final 5 hour run to Hampton. Good luck, and have fun!

OP
OP
JOKER8R

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak for outside Virginia, but the town of Staunton in western Virginia is one of my favorite little Blue Ridge cities that your wife would love. It's right near where I-64-E splits off from I-81, and totally worth the detour. Check out their visitstauntondotcom website. Tons of antique places, local crafts, and also some very good restaurants (It's been a few years, but the Depot Grille was great last time I went there). Also, for you: About an hour north of Staunton on Rt, 81 just west of Edinburg, Va, is the Peter's Mill Offroad trail in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. This is a relatively easy trail, and as a bonus it's part of the Jeep Badge of Honor Program, so you can get a badge for your Gladiator if you do that run. It might be the closest "Badge of Honor" trail on your route, and many people don't even switch into 4WD if the weather is good. Google "Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV System" and you should get the Forest Service website with all the info. FYI, you will need to buy a $5 Forest Service Permit to run the trail.

If you are looking for a more leisurely end to your trip, I would head southeast after the Peters Mill run to the town of Luray, which has a neat little zoo and some of the largest caverns on the east coast, then head a few miles east on Rt. 33, get on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, and wind your way back south to 64. Spending the night at either Skyland Lodge or Big Meadows in the park is an awesome experience, and also totally worth it, with Park Rangers offering free programs every day - the Ranger-guided walking tour through the rare high-altitude wetland meadow at Big Meadows is one of my favorites. You will be refreshed for the final 5 hour run to Hampton. Good luck, and have fun!
A lot to process and exactly the info I wanted to receive. Thank you so much for the details. Just curious and I realize many things can determine the outcome but roughly how long would/should it take to complete the trail you mention.

Since we are flexible on timing do you have any suggestion on when or when not to be doing this due to weather.

Last edited:

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I finished Peter's Mill Run in 2 hours with only a couple of stops.
In addition to the Jeep Badge of Honor, you can do the Bluestone Overland Trail Hunter GeoCache hunt for a patch. They also have one for Flagpole Knob, which is another trail close to your destination.
http://www.bluestoneoverland.com/trailhunter/index.html

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I assume you're coming down I-65 before getting on I-64 to WV? If so, bypass it a bit by taking I-71 towards Cincinnatti when you hit Louisville, KY. Along the way is a place called Dirty Turtle Offroad Park. Once done, you keep going on I-71 where you can then take I-75 down to Lexington and back onto I-64 or keep going East from I-71 when you hit Newport/Cincinnati to get to WV through Ashland, KY

Sponsored

OP
OP
JOKER8R

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finished Peter's Mill Run in 2 hours with only a couple of stops.
In addition to the Jeep Badge of Honor, you can do the Bluestone Overland Trail Hunter GeoCache hunt for a patch. They also have one for Flagpole Knob, which is another trail close to your destination.
http://www.bluestoneoverland.com/trailhunter/index.html
Thanks, I saw a video of flagpole knob, what I saw didn’t look bad. I gotta be cautious cause I will be going alone and probably won’t have a winch by then but probably bring some recovery gear.

OP
OP
JOKER8R

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume you're coming down I-65 before getting on I-64 to WV? If so, bypass it a bit by taking I-71 towards Cincinnatti when you hit Louisville, KY. Along the way is a place called Dirty Turtle Offroad Park. Once done, you keep going on I-71 where you can then take I-75 down to Lexington and back onto I-64 or keep going East from I-71 when you hit Newport/Cincinnati to get to WV through Ashland, KY
Thanks for the suggestion, hadn’t planned on going that direction but I’ll save that one for a future ride.

Moose95

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland; 2018 Colorado Z71
Since we are flexible on timing do you have any suggestion on when or when not to be doing this due to weather.
Sorry for the rambling reply, but I think May is the best month for traveling through the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia (except for the fall with the changing leaves). The weather will be warm but not too hot, and sometimes brisk in the morning, and it won't be as humid as June-Sept. If you are flexible on your schedule, then I would definitely schedule a trip to the Shenandoah National Park and drive Skyline Drive. It is often listed on lists for "Best drives in the US" - google the Department of Interior "hit the road with 8 of America's best drives". It's not off road, but the overlooks are great as the road winds along the top of the Blue Ridge mountains. Big Meadows Lodge and Skyland Lodge, about 10-15 miles apart, are 1930's era mountain lodges in the park, and not outrageously expensive.

If you get to the Hampton Roads area by mid-May and like WWII airplanes, the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach is holding their annual "Wings over Virginia Beach" airshow and reenactment on May 15-17, 2020. It's one of the largest collections of flying WWII aircraft on the east coast, and they have aircraft, old cars and jeeps, and WWII reenactors. They have one of only two flying De Havilland Mosquitos in the world. It's also a lot of fun.

OP
OP
JOKER8R

JOKER8R

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for the rambling reply, but I think May is the best month for traveling through the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia (except for the fall with the changing leaves). The weather will be warm but not too hot, and sometimes brisk in the morning, and it won't be as humid as June-Sept. If you are flexible on your schedule, then I would definitely schedule a trip to the Shenandoah National Park and drive Skyline Drive. It is often listed on lists for "Best drives in the US" - google the Department of Interior "hit the road with 8 of America's best drives". It's not off road, but the overlooks are great as the road winds along the top of the Blue Ridge mountains. Big Meadows Lodge and Skyland Lodge, about 10-15 miles apart, are 1930's era mountain lodges in the park, and not outrageously expensive.

If you get to the Hampton Roads area by mid-May and like WWII airplanes, the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach is holding their annual "Wings over Virginia Beach" airshow and reenactment on May 15-17, 2020. It's one of the largest collections of flying WWII aircraft on the east coast, and they have aircraft, old cars and jeeps, and WWII reenactors. They have one of only two flying De Havilland Mosquitos in the world. It's also a lot of fun.
That’s a great ramble, thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome drive but I may need to save that one for a future trip.
Sponsored