Hidden/Buried features of the JT

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I will say that I alway thought proximity locks where lame. Once I bought the JT with push button start I see the convenience of it. The only time I need to take the key out of my pocket is to unlock it.
Confused by this: the point of proximity locks is that you DON'T have to access the FOB to unlock . . . even if you've remote started it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That's one thing we looked at going down the list, said we wanted it, talked about it, but in the end he never checked that box and we never caught the mistake or that being left out until too late. REALLY wanted that badly with this huge 5 pound, football sized key fob.

Stickyteflon

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Cherokee Trail Hawk, 2019 MX5 RF GTS
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar need to step up there game. No proximity gas cap? What the crap:giggle:

I will say that I alway thought proximity locks where lame. Once I bought the JT with push button start I see the convenience of it. The only time I need to take the key out of my pocket is to unlock it. I would of bought this over the all weather group if I had the money for one or the other. I had no more money for my truck so I got neither.:(:LOL:
Our MX5 has a proximity fuel filler door release.. Won’t open unless the key is near.

Last edited:

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
That's one thing we looked at going down the list, said we wanted it, talked about it, but in the end he never checked that box and we never caught the mistake or that being left out until too late. REALLY wanted that badly with this huge 5 pound, football sized key fob.
So, without being aware of the possibility of this kind of dealer error, I made a costly but safer choice by going with the Launch Edition!?!

Sponsored

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or MX5 has a proximity fuel filler door release.. Won’t open unless the key is near.
A proximity fuel filter door release seems interesting, but a proximity gas cap unlock would be a great engineering feature!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So, without being aware of the possibility of this kind of dealer error, I made a costly but safer choice by going with the Launch Edition!?!
As long as you like it - LOL - then it was a good choice. Safe? I dunno - I've never been know to play anything safe.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you like it - LOL - then it was a good choice. Safe? I dunno - I've never been know to play anything safe.
You probably know what it is... when I was building a Jeep Gladiator online, I was always ending with Rubicon with almost all the boxes checked...

Then I was trying to remove some options...
The winter group? No, it’s obligatory here...
The proximity lock? No, I’m too used to it with our other cars...
The sway bar and differentials of the Rubicon? No, I was missing them in our JK...
The leather seats? No, it’s mandatory when you have some cats...
The Nav system and a premium sound? No, I don’t want to have the only vehicle of the family that don’t have it...
The electrical outlet in the bed? No, I was always connecting something to the 12V outlet in the JK...
The front camera? Now that’s the only option unchecked, go for the Launch Edition!

And today, it’s the model where I can find more of the hidden features mentioned in this thread! Isn’t the best selling argument at the end? Perplex? My wife too!!! :CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You probably know what it is... when I was building a Jeep Gladiator online, I was always ending with Rubicon with almost all the boxes checked...

Then I was trying to remove some options...
The winter group? No, it’s obligatory here...
The proximity lock? No, I’m too used to it with our other cars...
The sway bar and differentials of the Rubicon? No, I was missing them in our JK...
The leather seats? No, it’s mandatory when you have some cats...
The Nav system and a premium sound? No, I don’t want to have the only vehicle of the family that don’t have it...
The electrical outlet in the bed? No, I was always connecting something to the 12V outlet in the JK...
The front camera? Now that’s the only option unchecked, go for the Launch Edition!

And today, it’s the model where I can find more of the hidden features mentioned in this thread! Isn’t the best selling argument at the end? Perplex? My wife too!!! :CWL:
I don't know if I should even MENTION in this forum what my wife said to me today while we were running errands.......... good grief.
She asked me about Christmas presents - I had some pages sitting on the table that I had printed - Amazon - goodies for the JT like the thing that goes in the grab handle on the dash to hold a phone or coins or whatever, the ones that go on the side of the shift area to hold a phone or wallet or spare change or pencil or whatever, sill guards since this is the first vehicle I have owned that didn't come factory with really nice ones..... that sort of thing.
She asked if they were all the same - would they fit OUR truck. I said yeah, the interiors of the Gladiators are really the same, it's features, towing, payload, the suspension and underside that's different "FOR THE MOST PART" but accessories pretty much fit them all. I explained about the three basic levels (wasn't worth trying to explain the plan Sport vs. Sport S so I kept it Sport, Overland, Rubicon) and she said well, you were looking at the bottom one when I got involved, why? I told her about the payload and the towing. She said yeah, but it wouldn't have all this other stuff we wanted. Well, that's correct - but now the Overland won't tow as much and has a lower payload so you can't load it down as much, it's not as much of a work horse as the others.
Then she asked - well why then didn't you go up to the next one? You were at three, I pushed you up to 2, why didn't you get the top one? I told her - money...........
Then she asked - well, how much difference, 2, 3 thousand or so? I said yeah, probably about 3 for the same equipment on the Overland vs. Rubicon.
Then she blew me away with "well, I got my 4 season sunroom the way I wanted it, why didn't you get the best truck then? She added - What would it cost to trade now? Is this one worth anything?

Holy cow!
Why the heck didn't she ask about other choices weeks ago?
Probably too late now. The depreciation and all - I did a quick build online today and yeah, to get the EXACT SAME options in the Rubicon would have been 3 grand more - but no, that's adding the proximity locks, too! - for the exact same truck I have but Rubicon WITH proximity locks instead of Overland without, all other equipment the same.
Now it would likely cost several grand.
The towing would be a thousand pounds better, the payload only 150 or so better but it's TOWING that I care about. I rarely have over a thousand pounds to haul, in fact, it's been years since I hauled over 7 or 800 pounds in the box of a truck.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Don't do that to your self Shadows

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Then she asked - well why then didn't you go up to the next one? You were at three, I pushed you up to 2, why didn't you get the top one? I told her - money...........
Then she asked - well, how much difference, 2, 3 thousand or so? I said yeah, probably about 3 for the same equipment on the Overland vs. Rubicon.
Then she blew me away with "well, I got my 4 season sunroom the way I wanted it, why didn't you get the best truck then? She added - What would it cost to trade now? Is this one worth anything?

Holy cow!
Why the heck didn't she ask about other choices weeks ago?
Probably too late now. The depreciation and all - I did a quick build online today and yeah, to get the EXACT SAME options in the Rubicon would have been 3 grand more - but no, that's adding the proximity locks, too! - for the exact same truck I have but Rubicon WITH proximity locks instead of Overland without, all other equipment the same.
Now it would likely cost several grand.
The towing would be a thousand pounds better, the payload only 150 or so better but it's TOWING that I care about. I rarely have over a thousand pounds to haul, in fact, it's been years since I hauled over 7 or 800 pounds in the box of a truck.
Go for it. It's just money. You've spent this much on it, see if you can get a really good trade in value and only lose a grand or so on the trade. Can't hurt to ask around, especially with all those deals I keep reading about. You could even have it delivered. I was in the same dilemma, I could have gotten a Rubicon for about what I paid for my Sport Max Tow, of course Rubicon wouldn't have any packages except a trailer package and automatic transmission. In the end I decided I wouldn't be getting into circumstances (hopefully) where I would need lockers, and the only peace of mind I wanted was a winch (and accompanying steel bumper), so I decided to keep my extra towing (the main reason I got a Sport over Rubicon) and put the extra $1000-2000 a better Rubicon would have cost me into the bumper/winch. If I wanted an more capable off-roading vehicle I'd have gotten a 2dr Wrangler with it's shorter wheelbase.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Go for it. It's just money. You've spent this much on it, see if you can get a really good trade in value and only lose a grand or so on the trade. Can't hurt to ask around, especially with all those deals I keep reading about. You could even have it delivered. I was in the same dilemma, I could have gotten a Rubicon for about what I paid for my Sport Max Tow, of course Rubicon wouldn't have any packages except a trailer package and automatic transmission. In the end I decided I wouldn't be getting into circumstances (hopefully) where I would need lockers, and the only peace of mind I wanted was a winch (and accompanying steel bumper), so I decided to keep my extra towing (the main reason I got a Sport over Rubicon) and put the extra $1000-2000 a better Rubicon would have cost me into the bumper/winch. If I wanted an more capable off-roading vehicle I'd have gotten a 2dr Wrangler with it's shorter wheelbase.
Exactly my rationale. I bought a truck. If I wanted a primary off-roader, I would have kept my 2dr JK Rubi. Loved Rubi, but didn't feel like buying and storing a utility trailer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I still have a little bit of my inheritance from Dad. I was planning on using it to enclose my lean-to and get a lift for my shop. Enclosing the lean-to would be the only way to have "enclosed space" for the truck, otherwise it's under roof but only one wall. And it's Iowa.

We didn't go Sport S - my first choice, because of the lack of the body colored roof and certain other options my wife insisted on. No truck unless the roof and fenders could be body color - and had to have leather interior. (and the big screen which FCA added to Sport days after i ordered)
My looking at Sport was the max tow. Granted I'd never need the 7650 or whatever it is - even my other trailer would have had me under 6,000 pounds with a car on it. But the other stuff she insisted on put us in Overland. I told her of the weight of my trailer and the car on it and she said - so go buy a lighter trailer, you hate the heavy iron ramps anyway... yeah, and I did just that.
I think a big reason we landed where we did was part that I didn't push thinking she'd wonder about the money (and I'm sort of surprised she isn't but then who knows) and the sales person didn't even try to upsell. Honestly it was like he was afraid we were going to be mad if he even pointed out hey, there's this here you might look at. But no - he even said "skip this and buy online later" for a couple of things. He never even showed any of the others, and some options we had to ask him about, he never volunteered. He's a bit too laid back when suggesting upselling or other options.
Anyway...... so now I do all the comparing and look at all options, compare my current truck towing, payload and such to a Rubicon and see if it's worth it at all...... It's not easy when you are so happy with a truck so far - I mean the handling is excellent, the ride very very good, the comfort is unreal as the seats fit like gloves, I feel right at home in it. But then the cabins are the same so that's not an issue.
I think one thing she REALLY misses is the proximity lock thing and I suggested that I'd be pretty much at the limit with towing - even though my car and trailer will or should top out at under 5,000 pounds - with nothing in the bed so I'd be using about half the payload with a tongue weight of 450-500 pounds.

Not a hidden feature but boy do we love the fact that tailgate locks and unlocks with the other locks. My Chevy I had to REMEMBER to go back with a key and lock it. Today we were shopping and had a bunch of stuff in the back and she asked if I locked it - yeah, the WHOLE thing - even the back, with the push of a button. But when we came out of a store to stow stuff in the back, I had to dig for the 5 pound football size fob LOL

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly my rationale. I bought a truck. If I wanted a primary off-roader, I would have kept my 2dr JK Rubi. Loved Rubi, but didn't feel like buying and storing a utility trailer.
I have a 4x6 small utility trailer I put nice sides on and I have my car hauler - 18' tilt bed, so a trailer of not of concern. I MAY be maxed if I am towing my car hauler with a car and want to fill the bed with stuff, though. I'll only have about 600 pounds left for payload.
Otherwise for building supplies or heavy stuff - that utility trailer can haul 3 or 4 hundred pounds.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I don't know if I should even MENTION in this forum what my wife said to me today while we were running errands.......... good grief.
I agree with @ZTMAN - don't sweat it; enjoy your Overland!

But my wife did the same thing when I bought my A5. We were chatting a little while afterwards about how I waited and got exactly what I wanted (Competition Package in Daytona Grey) rather than settling. Then I cheekily said "yeah, but I really wanted the S5" and she said "why didn't you get it?". I said "price" and she told me I should have just got it if that's what I really wanted.

She's the responsible one, so I never bothered to mention it since I figured it would be a tough sell! :facepalm:
Sponsored