Sponsored

JT headlights not blinding others?

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it me or I never get flashed by incoming vehicles when I’m in my Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition?

It was almost a joke with our Jeep Wrangler 2011. We were flashed every night by drivers blinded by our headlights... Even Lite Brite were talking about it for the JK and JL...

But for now, it seems OK for my Jeep Gladiator...

Are the new LED headlights softer on the eyes or are the JT headlights adjusted and angled differently?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stickyteflon

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Cherokee Trail Hawk, 2019 MX5 RF GTS
Vehicle Showcase
i Followed a friend of mine on the Hwy the other night and I asked him if my LEDs were blinding him. He said they did not. He said they look really focused and threw out a very clean light but not blinding. I like how well they work especially now that it’s the season for driving home from work in the dark.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They have a good cutoff - that's what's lacking in too many after-market lights. Guys want mucho-mondo-macho light, more the better, able to land a 747 by those lights and while they are convinced they are helping themselves see, they are fooling themselves and blinding others.

I've noticed these have a nice sharp cutoff yet really light up the sides so I can see the deer just waiting to pounce. The JT headlights saved me twice already from lurking deer - the last one a rather decent 8 point fellow. The week before it was a herd of about 8 of them wanting to cross - three did and the others decided the JT looked too tough.

I've seen photos on this very forum of lights changed out and you can see how much light is projected up above the cutoff of the stock lights - and all they are doing is blinding other drivers.

I really like the stock lights - not sure how the LED will do in our wet snow storms but so far I've not had to drive in one.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
After the 2" Mopar Lift and 315 tires, I had to adjust mine down a bit. Flat surface 20' from a wall or object, measure up 36" and adjust the top of the light (nice cutoff like @ShadowsPapa said above) to that 36" and you'll be fine. Still plenty of bright side light to see deer and other critters in the ditches.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Halogen kit and have been flashed a couple times. Stock rubi. May try the 20' from a wall and measuring 36" trick.

Sponsored

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Jedi
I have the Halogen kit and have been flashed a couple times. Stock rubi. May try the 20' from a wall and measuring 36" trick.
That is a solid practice even with stock to check the height of your lights. Hard to believe but sometimes the factory and/or dealer get it wrong!!;)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The LED option has a very sharp horizontal line that is upper cutoff of the headlight. It is the first time I have seen such a sharp cutoff on a headlight. If you adjust this line correctly for your ride height, it is designed so that there is no way you would get flashed by an upcoming driver.

Note: This new design also means that you will not see overhanging trees or protruding branches coming from on top when you are wheeling at night.

Check out my post on the lighting section - "Help, I cannot find the aux wires" .... I show some pics of the headlights vs. the off-road lights and you can clearly see the difference between a real horizontal cutoff and the off-road flood lights.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The LED option has a very sharp horizontal line that is upper cutoff of the headlight. It is the first time I have seen such a sharp cutoff on a headlight. If you adjust this line correctly for your ride height, it is designed so that there is no way you would get flashed by an upcoming driver.

Note: This new design also means that you will not see overhanging trees or protruding branches coming from on top when you are wheeling at night.

Well that's why you either hit the highs or have off-road lights........ seems logical to me. Around here, though, even our rural roads have so bloody much traffic you would wear out the dimmer switch. Love my son's Compass - AUTOMATIC DIMMING and it works almost flawlessly. I know Jeep guys say that's a car and not a true Jeep - but he might disagree a bit having been through Iowa winters and using it to haul a pretty loaded trailer during his move to Florida last spring.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That is a solid practice even with stock to check the height of your lights. Hard to believe but sometimes the factory and/or dealer get it wrong!!;)
GASP! Say it isn't so!!
Can't use them on modern vehicles, but then I collect classics - I got the Hoppy headlight aiming setup from my former boss when he retired. I was the one that did the headlight aiming when I worked for him in the 70s and when he was forced to retire at 82 he gave me the headlight tools. Ticks me off that half the vehicles on Iowa roads have headlights that blind you - or burn your eyes out because idiots toss in giga-watt bazillion lumen lights and don't know what aiming them means. I swear sometimes their INTENT is to blind and force you out of their way, or to start fires along the roads.

BK_Hanfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - Hydro Blue, MT
Vehicle Showcase
Is it me or I never get flashed by incoming vehicles when I’m in my Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition?

It was almost a joke with our Jeep Wrangler 2011. We were flashed every night by drivers blinded by our headlights... Even Lite Brite were talking about it for the JK and JL...

But for now, it seems OK for my Jeep Gladiator...

Are the new LED headlights softer on the eyes or are the JT headlights adjusted and angled differently?

I have the LED lights in my Overland, I've been flashed by oncoming traffic 2 or 3 times; I'm planning on lowering them a little bit

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the LED lights in my Overland, I've been flashed by oncoming traffic 2 or 3 times; I'm planning on lowering them a little bit
Anyone who levels or lifts needs to have them checked, or check them............ but even stock they should be checked. We know dealers aren't spending any of their time doing it during prep or other so-called "100 point checks".

BK_Hanfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who levels or lifts needs to have them checked, or check them............ but even stock they should be checked. We know dealers aren't spending any of their time doing it during prep or other so-called "100 point checks".
I'd agree. Mine is still stock. I've noticed some numbers/letter markings on 1 of the wheels. When the windshield fogged over, there were a few build markings in the upper left corner. Kind of funny when and where things show up. Nothing major but someone needed to apply a little more effort when prepping it for delivery.

Delta24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Mercedes E300
After the 2" Mopar Lift and 315 tires, I had to adjust mine down a bit. Flat surface 20' from a wall or object, measure up 36" and adjust the top of the light (nice cutoff like @ShadowsPapa said above) to that 36" and you'll be fine. Still plenty of bright side light to see deer and other critters in the ditches.
First post, more to follow... I've had my 2020 Gladiator Overland edition for 7 weeks. It has a Rough Country leveling kit that was dealer installed. Almost Every car that I meet bright lights me, and it has pulled to the right since the day we brought it home. I reported both issues to the dealer immediately, but they claim that they can't get the specs from RC to re-align it...???
I'm at 2,400 miles already and pretty pissed. I'm 9 days away from a total hip replacement to boot (at 54 y/o!) How do I adjust the top of the light? I may play with air pressure a little more to address the pulling until the, well I won't get ugly in my first post, Dealership decides that they can realign it.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Jedi
First post, more to follow... I've had my 2020 Gladiator Overland edition for 7 weeks. It has a Rough Country leveling kit that was dealer installed. Almost Every car that I meet bright lights me, and it has pulled to the right since the day we brought it home. I reported both issues to the dealer immediately, but they claim that they can't get the specs from RC to re-align it...???
I'm at 2,400 miles already and pretty pissed. I'm 9 days away from a total hip replacement to boot (at 54 y/o!) How do I adjust the top of the light? I may play with air pressure a little more to address the pulling until the, well I won't get ugly in my first post, Dealership decides that they can realign it.
There is a plastic piece that takes a Phillips screwdriver. See the picture here.
84037DAA-45CE-4CC7-8E33-0AC6E936AEEB.jpeg

BK_Hanfield

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
passenger side was pretty easy to adjust, the driver side has some stuff in the way that doesn't want to move, takes a flexible tool; I did adjust for 2-3" lower, see if that helps me out
Sponsored