Sponsored

Why a Gladiator (JT) and not a Wrangler (JL)?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I want one! But my driveway is only 40 ft long and I'm worried my neighbours would talk about me.
They already do....... oops, wasn't supposed to let that out....

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I had a JKU and got tired of hauling dirty items (bags of dirt/fert, crap to the dump) so I got a truck. Well now I can have my jeep and haul it too!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had a JKU and got tired of hauling dirty items (bags of dirt/fert, crap to the dump) so I got a truck. Well now I can have my jeep and haul it too!
Yup - I bought Dad's WJ after he died and used it to haul stuff in the back - tired of putting plastic down, didn't yet spend the hundred bucks for the fancy mat back there, wanted to sort of take care of that because it was nice inside but I loved driving it as a daily driver. Well now I can haul stuff - keep the inside nice and still have a vehicle I love to drive - and get a bit better MPG and performance, too.
Don't even THINK of asking my wife if I can take her Grand Cherokee to Lowes to pick up 10 bags of potting soil or a bunch of plants - yikes!

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Yup - I bought Dad's WJ after he died and used it to haul stuff in the back - tired of putting plastic down, didn't yet spend the hundred bucks for the fancy mat back there, wanted to sort of take care of that because it was nice inside but I loved driving it as a daily driver. Well now I can haul stuff - keep the inside nice and still have a vehicle I love to drive - and get a bit better MPG and performance, too.
Don't even THINK of asking my wife if I can take her Grand Cherokee to Lowes to pick up 10 bags of potting soil or a bunch of plants - yikes!

My Honda Element was great for hauling stuff like that. Lots of room, floors could be mopped out. Unfortunately I didnt believe the payload being limited to 675lbs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hope you have that secured SO WELL...... I say that because there used to be a guy in the forum I run for AMCs that loaded his truck and had stuff secured and got into an accident. The abrupt change in speed (sudden stop) broke the ties loose, the stuff came forward through the back window of his truck and impaled him. He would have otherwise survived the accident.
Just sayin' - please be careful! I guess working for a place that did 24/7 towing, I saw too much and some stuff just freaks me out now. Sort of like a small version of PTSD in a way (not trying to take away from my friends who have it for real in big ways) but when the boss tows in a car with no top because a trailer came loose on the highway and you know the older couple inside were decapitated...... I almost lost it.
Sorry, just please be careful folks - that's all. Please.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
They already do....... oops, wasn't supposed to let that out....
That's only because I only loosely tie my robe when I take out the trash.

QX434Kn.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Pogoda

First Name
Rob & Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins; 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Our dilemma is this:
We have at least 1 good truck for towing the little camp trailer, so towing capacity isn't paramount but would be nice. We can't get the full size truck(s) into gnarly places where we hunt without fear of damage underneath, so something with a shorter wheelbase would be great.
Looking at the Glad Rubi because we could still tow, have rugged underbody, shorter wheel base than standard truck...
But if we went with a Wrangler Rubi 2-door we could tackle the gnarly hunting roads without worry. Any thoughts on this dilemma? Oh plus the Wrangler would save us some $

OP
OP
LANGeek

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
Our dilemma is this:
We have at least 1 good truck for towing the little camp trailer, so towing capacity isn't paramount but would be nice. We can't get the full size truck(s) into gnarly places where we hunt without fear of damage underneath, so something with a shorter wheelbase would be great.
Looking at the Glad Rubi because we could still tow, have rugged underbody, shorter wheel base than standard truck...
But if we went with a Wrangler Rubi 2-door we could tackle the gnarly hunting roads without worry. Any thoughts on this dilemma? Oh plus the Wrangler would save us some $
Sorry, but I am an engineer. I always go back to the requirements and design a solution that meets the requirements. You have two conflicting requirements: towing a camper and rough off-raod access with tight margins.

Your next steps is prioritize the requirements. Do you need to tow the camper more or less than driving into the deep woods?

Next, are there other technologies that can accomplish this task. Such as, no camper and use a tent. Or, larger tow behind RV with a tow hauler for Jeep, ATV, or UTV. Or, a self powered RV with a trailer for a Jeep.

Or, a smaller Jeep with a tiny little tow behind.

Compromise in the middle and get a Gladiator that can tow a decent size tow behind and can reach pretty deep in the woods.

Oh, find a buddy with a tow rig and follow them in your little Jeep ;-)

As I said, you need to define and prioritize your requirements first. Then then a solution will be evident. Emotions may cloud your judgement.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, but I am an engineer. I always go back to the requirements and design a solution that meets the requirements. You have two conflicting requirements: towing a camper and rough off-raod access with tight margins.

Your next steps is prioritize the requirements. Do you need to tow the camper more or less than driving into the deep woods?

Next, are there other technologies that can accomplish this task. Such as, no camper and use a tent. Or, larger tow behind RV with a tow hauler for Jeep, ATV, or UTV. Or, a self powered RV with a trailer for a Jeep.

Or, a smaller Jeep with a tiny little tow behind.

Compromise in the middle and get a Gladiator that can tow a decent size tow behind and can reach pretty deep in the woods.

Oh, find a buddy with a tow rig and follow them in your little Jeep ;-)

As I said, you need to define and prioritize your requirements first. Then then a solution will be evident. Emotions may cloud your judgement.
I think everyone, including myself, should talk to you first. That's excellent. With my condition, "decisions" or choices are extremely difficult. Normally with out knowing or thinking about it the mind breaks things down into pairs - choose between A and C, then choose between the winner of that and D, then choose between the winner of that and choice M and so on.
I have to literally pencil it out and then distractions come into play and even that doesn't work well.
Your logic means I can't use the typical engineer jokes now - darn. ........ Just kidding.
Sponsored