Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That limitation is for the remote start platform Jeep uses. I know when I was looking at F150's the stripped down Lariats did not have remote start but you could use you phone to remote start the truck.. That is why I figured when the salesman and the manager told me you could use your phone to remote start the JT, I did not think twice about it.
Adding remote start to the F-150 is literally plugging in the antenna behind the glovebox, changing a setting in the computer, and then programming the key fob. It's a piece of cake that can all be done at home for very little money.

I'm 95% sure the Jeep Gladiator is the same way. If you buy the kit, you can install it and then the dealer can "turn on" the feature in the computer and program the key fob.
Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Thanks for all the feedback. Went on a final shopping trip this morning and am picking up a Granite Crystal Rubicon this afternoon.
I got the same! You will not regret it. I hope love her as much as I love mine :)

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
IF I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW, PURCHASE DECISION - - I would not do anything different! I am happy with the way I packaged my gladiator and don't know of any option I missed or may want or may need in the future that cannot be added. I would have liked the steel 3 piece bumper but it was not available when I ordered and didn't want to wait. I have enjoyed the truck and plan to keep it for a long time. This thread seem to have strayed from the original poster's intent but emphases one thing to me as I read it from beginning to end. Jeep created 4 different models to meet different customer needs whether that being price, towing or off-roading or even a mall crawler. Lastly, there are so many aftermarket parts and accessories one can build any jeep truck of your dreams. Thanks for all the various opinions!!

Last edited:

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Well I have had Uconnect on my Ram for 2 years now and I have yet to get the Uconnect to do anything (Remote Start, Unlock, Lock). My truck is equipped for it but I can send all the signal request I want and it doesn't work worth a crap. Took it back to dealers to look into and they don't have a clue. They tried it themselves and nothing happened. Said it was software issues and problems with the Uconnect subscription so nothing they could do.
I had the same thing on the ram and literally nothing worked. WIFI didn't work, lock unlock, alarm, on and on.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Adding remote start to the F-150 is literally plugging in the antenna behind the glovebox, changing a setting in the computer, and then programming the key fob. It's a piece of cake that can all be done at home for very little money.

I'm 95% sure the Jeep Gladiator is the same way. If you buy the kit, you can install it and then the dealer can "turn on" the feature in the computer and program the key fob.
Nope - the BCM won't allow it. At this time multiple dealers I have checked with say no dice. You can do whatever you want but the security won't allow you to plug parts in and change the BCM. It's apparently not just a "feature" at this time - and likely because these were targeted to a different audience than the Grand Cherokee, for example.
For example - you can't get lane departure in these...... it's just not there, and yet even the GC and Compass have that at most "trim levels".
People here have checked, I've asked two dealers, one guy went back to the shop and asked his tech guy and another guy - both said, nope, "not at this time" the module won't allow that change.
The parts are cheap, but the electronics don't allow it.
I've been trying to find a way since I bought my JT - pretty much from week one back in November.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nope - the BCM won't allow it. At this time multiple dealers I have checked with say no dice. You can do whatever you want but the security won't allow you to plug parts in and change the BCM. It's apparently not just a "feature" at this time - and likely because these were targeted to a different audience than the Grand Cherokee, for example.
For example - you can't get lane departure in these...... it's just not there, and yet even the GC and Compass have that at most "trim levels".
People here have checked, I've asked two dealers, one guy went back to the shop and asked his tech guy and another guy - both said, nope, "not at this time" the module won't allow that change.
The parts are cheap, but the electronics don't allow it.
I've been trying to find a way since I bought my JT - pretty much from week one back in November.
I suspect this is another BCM change that could be made with the Tazer, if Joe would just add it. The Tazer already does a lot of things that normally only a very expensive dealer tool will do. Activating DRLs, turning on the LED light option, turning off the seatbelt chime, changing tire sizes, changing gear ratios, allowing lockers in non-factory modes, etc. All things that involve the BCM. I don't see why activating remote start would be any different.

That's what we did with the F-150s. Some bright person wrote software, we downloaded it, programmed it to the truck using a OBD dongle, and then poof it all worked. No trips to the dealer.

It'll happen, it's just a matter of somebody doing it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect this is another BCM change that could be made with the Tazer, if Joe would just add it. The Tazer already does a lot of things that normally only a very expensive dealer tool will do. Activating DRLs, turning on the LED light option, turning off the seatbelt chime, changing tire sizes, changing gear ratios, allowing lockers in non-factory modes, etc. All things that involve the BCM. I don't see why activating remote start would be any different.

That's what we did with the F-150s. Some bright person wrote software, we downloaded it, programmed it to the truck using a OBD dongle, and then poof it all worked. No trips to the dealer.

It'll happen, it's just a matter of somebody doing it.
I don't disagree - that is exactly why I read every post about the proximity locks - one of these days someone clever will find a way - OR, it was sort of funny the dealer said "not at this time", so perhaps FCA could even make such a change. Who knows......... software is always being updated, refined, bugs worked out and so on. This is a newer system for them - I know, yeah, Wrangler, and so on, but still - we have a tailgate and other fun stuff on these. And I LOVE that the tailgate locks when I lock the truck.
If I had been watching, and if that sales guy had said "do you want this or that" or "did we miss anything, let's go over the list of stuff we didn't include", but nope........... we all missed it, so.........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
………...so, enter the Rubicon!! :like:
Yeah, wish it was that easy. When one factors in the taxes, and other fun stuff............ not so sure how feasible that is.
There is truth to the fact that when dealers are selling trucks like mine, new, never registered, for 52 if you have those affiliate things applied, and you have to figure mine wouldn't bring that as a trade, even if they allowed 46, the Rubicon I "built" online is 59395
I checked with a dealer that does under-invoice on the JT - he admitted "that's for stock vehicles on the lot, if we ordered one we could only knock a couple thousand off". So that's roughly 57,000 if their couple thou was fudged. If they even went lower, say, 56, and mine was up to 47 trade allowance - that's 9k difference, plus tax on the trade difference, etc. So, is it worth it? Not so sure after really figuring hard.
59395 plus undercoating, etc. I'm over 60. If the discounted it I strongly doubt even those that do the heavy discounts would be under 56.
When new like my Overland can be bought for 52 from some dealers, they can't allow 50 on a trade-in.
I figure best case over 6K to switch, more likely 10K to switch. Then I have to wonder - what could I do with this one for 6K?
Can't increase payload or towing capacity at all - that's stuck. No way to change that short of sticking max-tow axles under it. Then I'd have to have some serious programming done to compensate for gear change and so on - fenders? Hmm - wider axles means different fenders.
I have honestly wondered about sticking different axles and springs under it. But on a modern vehicle that's a lot different than my sticking a Jeep 4.0 liter engine in my 82 Eagle SX4. That was easy.
Anyway, assume I could do a trade but would that money also buy stuff to make this Jeep closer to what I should have done on day one?
It's a question my wife may well ask!

Sponsored

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Yeah, wish it was that easy. When one factors in the taxes, and other fun stuff............ not so sure how feasible that is.
There is truth to the fact that when dealers are selling trucks like mine, new, never registered, for 52 if you have those affiliate things applied, and you have to figure mine wouldn't bring that as a trade, even if they allowed 46, the Rubicon I "built" online is 59395
I checked with a dealer that does under-invoice on the JT - he admitted "that's for stock vehicles on the lot, if we ordered one we could only knock a couple thousand off". So that's roughly 57,000 if their couple thou was fudged. If they even went lower, say, 56, and mine was up to 47 trade allowance - that's 9k difference, plus tax on the trade difference, etc. So, is it worth it? Not so sure after really figuring hard.
59395 plus undercoating, etc. I'm over 60. If the discounted it I strongly doubt even those that do the heavy discounts would be under 56.
When new like my Overland can be bought for 52 from some dealers, they can't allow 50 on a trade-in.
I figure best case over 6K to switch, more likely 10K to switch. Then I have to wonder - what could I do with this one for 6K?
Can't increase payload or towing capacity at all - that's stuck. No way to change that short of sticking max-tow axles under it. Then I'd have to have some serious programming done to compensate for gear change and so on - fenders? Hmm - wider axles means different fenders.
I have honestly wondered about sticking different axles and springs under it. But on a modern vehicle that's a lot different than my sticking a Jeep 4.0 liter engine in my 82 Eagle SX4. That was easy.
Anyway, assume I could do a trade but would that money also buy stuff to make this Jeep closer to what I should have done on day one?
It's a question my wife may well ask!
I would imagine you could really stick some bad ass axles, and gears in that thing for 10. Id rather do the upgrades and get axles that are way better than the max tow/rubicon, than lose money on a trade.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would imagine you could really stick some bad ass axles, and gears in that thing for 10. Id rather do the upgrades and get axles that are way better than the max tow/rubicon, than lose money on a trade.
I'm starting to think that way, too. .However, no matter how good I might be at other things - my cars, there's little I don't know and pretty much nothing I can't do. I could take my 73 up to 500 hp in a heartbeat and likely do all of it at my own shop save for crank balancing.
Build the TF727 in my Jav, no sweat, have done dozens if not more. Swap to a stick, no sweat. Lift my Eagle - yeah, I have the stuff if I wanted to. I could swap out almost anything else in my cars, you name it - but when it comes this sort of Jeep - lack of solid hands-on experience will slow me greatly. I have no idea, for example, what axles ARE available. What would it take if I swapped to something heavy so I could raise the tow and payload a bit - as far as reprogramming everything?
I could likely get a whole axle setup for max tow or even Rubicon for a decent price - and I could install - but what else would I run into. Perhaps that's fodder for a thread dedicated to a "what-if" with this truck.
I also have to factor in aside from the bed cover needing to be tighter and the uconnect kicking the some apps may not be available message, it's been smooth sailing. It runs great, goes down the road straight, easy to control and drive. I have to factor in risks when trading, too.....

So I'm looking to learn.
And leaning toward instead of losing some money and the risk of another truck - spend that money on this one.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
I'm starting to think that way, too. .However, no matter how good I might be at other things - my cars, there's little I don't know and pretty much nothing I can't do. I could take my 73 up to 500 hp in a heartbeat and likely do all of it at my own shop save for crank balancing.
Build the TF727 in my Jav, no sweat, have done dozens if not more. Swap to a stick, no sweat. Lift my Eagle - yeah, I have the stuff if I wanted to. I could swap out almost anything else in my cars, you name it - but when it comes this sort of Jeep - lack of solid hands-on experience will slow me greatly. I have no idea, for example, what axles ARE available. What would it take if I swapped to something heavy so I could raise the tow and payload a bit - as far as reprogramming everything?
I could likely get a whole axle setup for max tow or even Rubicon for a decent price - and I could install - but what else would I run into. Perhaps that's fodder for a thread dedicated to a "what-if" with this truck.
I also have to factor in aside from the bed cover needing to be tighter and the uconnect kicking the some apps may not be available message, it's been smooth sailing. It runs great, goes down the road straight, easy to control and drive. I have to factor in risks when trading, too.....

So I'm looking to learn.
And leaning toward instead of losing some money and the risk of another truck - spend that money on this one.
Id appreciate if you started that thread. Not looking to do it, but love learning new info. My 10g comment was with install prices. So for 10g's doing it yourself Im sure you could do a lot with that 10g, and by the time you were done Im positive it would be better than any stock rubi or max on the road. If you did this yourself you could start a youtube channel also showing people how to do it and Im sure you would get a ton of people to watch that. Who knows you may become youtube famous, get a ton of sponsorship, and have the baddest gladiator on the planet in a bout a year lol. If I had your skill set/shop, I would definately take that 10 and build that thing up myself. Im currently doing the same with my max tow. Lift put on yesterday.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Id appreciate if you started that thread. Not looking to do it, but love learning new info. My 10g comment was with install prices. So for 10g's doing it yourself Im sure you could do a lot with that 10g, and by the time you were done Im positive it would be better than any stock rubi or max on the road. If you did this yourself you could start a youtube channel also showing people how to do it and Im sure you would get a ton of people to watch that. Who knows you may become youtube famous, get a ton of sponsorship, and have the baddest gladiator on the planet in a bout a year lol. If I had your skill set/shop, I would definately take that 10 and build that thing up myself. Im currently doing the same with my max tow. Lift put on yesterday.
LOL - ya know, i really like your thinking, but me - and famous? In the same sentence? Infamous comes to mind.
Well, there are some rad Overlands out there (that's a term my kids used to say - some Turtles said it I think, probably as old as sliced bread by now, though)

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

So I'm looking to learn.
One thing to consider before trying to increase your towing/payload...practically speaking, you could do it. But even after throwing $$ at axles, suspension, brakes, cooling, etc. etc. etc., the sticker on your door jamb doesn't change. So if you get into trouble (accident, cop in a bad mood, etc.), you are hooped.

I still say put it out of your head and enjoy your Jeep! If you find it lacking in towing/payload down the road, trade it in then. If the JT follows the depreciation curve of the Wrangler, you will still get decent $$ for it in a few years.
Sponsored