Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to consider before trying to increase your towing/payload...practically speaking, you could do it. But even after throwing $$ at axles, suspension, brakes, cooling, etc. etc. etc., the sticker on your door jamb doesn't change. So if you get into trouble (accident, cop in a bad mood, etc.), you are hooped.

I still say put it out of your head and enjoy your Jeep! If you find it lacking in towing/payload down the road, trade it in then. If the JT follows the depreciation curve of the Wrangler, you will still get decent $$ for it in a few years.
Here's the thing - I'm not looking to increase the amount I carry or the amount I tow - I'm pretty much set with trailer and car on it that I won't exceed the towing of the Overland - however, I like the stability and being above that level even further.
I like having a LOT of gap between what I am doing and what it COULD do.
Will I ever tow over 6,000 pounds? Very unlikely.
But I'd like the vehicle to have that stability and strength.
Will I haul more than 1000 pounds in the bed?
Not likely - I'd likely use a trailer for that, but I'd want it to be ABLE to, if I do put 1,000 pounds on/in it (including myself, of course) I prefer knowing that I'm not even close to capacity. (even if still legal according to the sticker)
If 3 nails will hold it, I use 6. If a few brads will hold it, I use brads and water-proof glue.
No, not looking to build a "max tow" and be able to haul 1600 pounds - but I'd like a vehicle that COULD do that. Heavier, more meat, better springs. These springs are soft on these.......... my wife "gets it" - more truck, not that I'll blow past the tow capacity of this - no use pushing it to the edge. Rough roads mean a payload suddenly acts like more than a thousand pound load, too.

So no, I'm not looking to tow 7,000 pounds, just want the truck to be tough enough to do so and be that much over my REAL trailer weight as far as capacity. Not looking to haul over 1,100 pounds, just want it tough enough to do so. Not push it so hard.
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Looking through this post, the only difference between what you have under your Overland vs. the Max Tow is the wider axles with 4.10 gears and HD brakes. There are other features, but none that would impact what you are trying to do.

I'm sure you could easily swap the Max Tow axles and brakes to yours for way less than the cost to trade up.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Here's the thing - I'm not looking to increase the amount I carry or the amount I tow - I'm pretty much set with trailer and car on it that I won't exceed the towing of the Overland - however, I like the stability and being above that level even further.
I like having a LOT of gap between what I am doing and what it COULD do.
Will I ever tow over 6,000 pounds? Very unlikely.
But I'd like the vehicle to have that stability and strength.
Will I haul more than 1000 pounds in the bed?
Not likely - I'd likely use a trailer for that, but I'd want it to be ABLE to, if I do put 1,000 pounds on/in it (including myself, of course) I prefer knowing that I'm not even close to capacity. (even if still legal according to the sticker)
If 3 nails will hold it, I use 6. If a few brads will hold it, I use brads and water-proof glue.
No, not looking to build a "max tow" and be able to haul 1600 pounds - but I'd like a vehicle that COULD do that. Heavier, more meat, better springs. These springs are soft on these.......... my wife "gets it" - more truck, not that I'll blow past the tow capacity of this - no use pushing it to the edge. Rough roads mean a payload suddenly acts like more than a thousand pound load, too.

So no, I'm not looking to tow 7,000 pounds, just want the truck to be tough enough to do so and be that much over my REAL trailer weight as far as capacity. Not looking to haul over 1,100 pounds, just want it tough enough to do so. Not push it so hard.
Exactly

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
A quick search finds the Mopar Rubicon axles at Quadratech. Both front and rear for $5500 with no brakes, but including the e-locker. You wouldn't need that, so I'm sure you could order the Max Tow and HD breaks from somewhere (certainly from a dealership parts department) for around the same cost.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looking through this post, the only difference between what you have under your Overland vs. the Max Tow is the wider axles with 4.10 gears and HD brakes. There are other features, but none that would impact what you are trying to do.

I'm sure you could easily swap the Max Tow axles and brakes to yours for way less than the cost to trade up.
Yup, my thoughts. Of course I could run into trouble - fenders, clearances, other fun stuff - with different brakes and so on.
That's one of the things I was wondering - the "standard" brakes on the Overland - if there was an option I definitely would have opted to spend some money on HD brakes.
I put Kelsey-Hayes HD disk brakes on the front of my 73 - why would I not want HD brakes on a truck? I bought it to use.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, my thoughts. Of course I could run into trouble - fenders, clearances, other fun stuff - with different brakes and so on.
That's one of the things I was wondering - the "standard" brakes on the Overland - if there was an option I definitely would have opted to spend some money on HD brakes.
I put Kelsey-Hayes HD disk brakes on the front of my 73 - why would I not want HD brakes on a truck? I bought it to use.
Clearance won't be an issue, but the tires will poke out. Given your detestation of road spray, you'd want to get the wider fenders as well.

I can't see how swapping the brakes out would cause trouble. I have no idea what the difference is between the "standard" brakes vs. the "heavy duty" ones would be without seeing both. Maybe larger diameter discs or different pads?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Clearance won't be an issue, but the tires will poke out. Given your detestation of road spray, you'd want to get the wider fenders as well.

I can't see how swapping the brakes out would cause trouble. I have no idea what the difference is between the "standard" brakes vs. the "heavy duty" ones would be without seeing both. Maybe larger diameter discs or different pads?
If the calipers are different - as in bore, then the pedal travel could change - basic hydraulics. Larger diameter bore in the caliper, you need more fluid to fill it so the pedal moves farther but you have more pressure on the brake pad because your master cylinder pressure in PSI is now spread over more caliper piston, so more force. It's something we watch when swapping brake stuff around on old cars. Change to a different caliper or wheel cylinder it can impact the force at the wheels and travel of the pedal.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
. . . or put that $10K (or whatever) toward her next vehicle that you can both enjoy . . . and if can tow, so much the better!

Enjoy your Overland . . .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
. . . or put that $10K (or whatever) toward her next vehicle that you can both enjoy . . . and if can tow, so much the better!

Enjoy your Overland . . .
I mentioned next year, which will be close to time for her new vehicle, that she could have this JT and we could trade her Grand Cherokee for a JT for me - she said naw, she likes her Grand Cherokees too much - all that space inside to stow her quilting and sewing stuff when going to her quilting retreats or to friends's houses.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Contentment with an existing owned (preferably paid off) vehicle is a wonderful thing!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Contentment with an existing owned (preferably paid off) vehicle is a wonderful thing!
I mentioned to my wife tonight about some of the chat on here, what I've dug into, etc. and said that some suggested, as I was starting to think, spend the money I might have spent on trading this one on upgrades instead. It runs and drives nice, steering is good, only minor uconnect issues, other than not having proximity lock system and tougher axles and springs, it's good.
She agreed- take that money I would have spent on a Rubicon (3 grand more than the Overland) add a bit to that and upgrade this one - tires, springs, MAYBE MAYBE axles, brakes, etc. and build and customize this one.
It's a known thing - so use this as the basis for something more.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your money and your choice, but I think the upgrades aren’t enough to justify the cost. You like the way your truck handles and drives, so enjoy it for the next year or so and see if you really need the extra capability. If you do and you really like the Gladiator sell yours and Get a sport s max tow. But if you end up truly needing 1500lb payload and 7500 lbs towing grab a full size truck. If you want a midsize with more capability see what the 2022 Ranger will offer. I imagine it’s going to be class leading across the board.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your money and your choice, but I think the upgrades aren’t enough to justify the cost. You like the way your truck handles and drives, so enjoy it for the next year or so and see if you really need the extra capability. If you do and you really like the Gladiator sell yours and Get a sport s max tow. But if you end up truly needing 1500lb payload and 7500 lbs towing grab a full size truck. If you want a midsize with more capability see what the 2022 Ranger will offer. I imagine it’s going to be class leading across the board.
Sorry, there were reasons I didn't get the Sport S max tow - the options we wanted simply are not available with it.

Maybe you didn't see my other post laying out the reasoning and what the upgrades would do for me. I won't be towing 6,000 pounds but want the extra margin there. Same for payload - I want the margin there. Also want the toughness of the larger axles. The width for stability wouldn't hurt.
There's reasons I didn't go with a Ranger, too - I could have kept the silverado but the open cab, more legroom, ability to take the panels out, visibility you get with no other truck, bar none.
I was aimed specifically at Jeep.
I just am wanting the more rugged springs and other parts than the Overland has.
I'll never tow 7,000 pounds, that's not the point. I can haul tons on my trailer, although the 1,000 pound payload WILL be restrictive - I want the capacity "just in case" and for margin. The Overland has the lightest of everything as far as the drivetrain. I'd prefer a little heavier duty on the bottom side, the rest is perfect - no way I'd give up this cabin and these seats. No one makes a seat that helps my back like these do. Even my Silverado was a pain in the back to drive and it was a luxury interior. These seats cannot be beat.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Apparently no difference in the brakes.
Max Tow spec brakes - ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC HD BRAKES (BR6) - Are standard on all models of the JT according to pg 15 of the order guide.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Sorry, there were reasons I didn't get the Sport S max tow - the options we wanted simply are not available with it.

Maybe you didn't see my other post laying out the reasoning and what the upgrades would do for me. I won't be towing 6,000 pounds but want the extra margin there. Same for payload - I want the margin there. Also want the toughness of the larger axles. The width for stability wouldn't hurt.
There's reasons I didn't go with a Ranger, too - I could have kept the silverado but the open cab, more legroom, ability to take the panels out, visibility you get with no other truck, bar none.
I was aimed specifically at Jeep.
I just am wanting the more rugged springs and other parts than the Overland has.
I'll never tow 7,000 pounds, that's not the point. I can haul tons on my trailer, although the 1,000 pound payload WILL be restrictive - I want the capacity "just in case" and for margin. The Overland has the lightest of everything as far as the drivetrain. I'd prefer a little heavier duty on the bottom side, the rest is perfect - no way I'd give up this cabin and these seats. No one makes a seat that helps my back like these do. Even my Silverado was a pain in the back to drive and it was a luxury interior. These seats cannot be beat.
I did read your posts but can’t remember exactly what features the overland has over the Sports S that you mentioned other than the leather seats and the 8”!monitor. Seems like it be easier to take the seats and larger monitor out of a Rubicon or Overland than it would be to swap axle, brakes, etc. I was actually referring to the new Ranger coming out in 2022. The current one is just a rehash of the global Ranger that has been out since 2011. Enjoy your Overland.
Sponsored