What did you do TO your Gladiator today? [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
People wonder why I have 3 floor jacks, 4 pair of jack stands, and a transmission jack and gantry crane and engine hoist. When you work alone in your shop you can never have too many hands made of steel.

Let me know if you find a skid plate or figure out if a Rubicon plate will fit. I looked at a couple of Rubicons lately and their skid plate looks like it bolts right up to the frame horns and that should be the same on all three levels, Sport, Overland and Rubicon. I figured if the frame is the same up there, the Rubicon skid plat would fit - would need the brackets they use, though, as the skid plates bolt similar to that metal air dam backing, but also using brackets that bolt the plate to the frame.
I want to put a skid plate on in place of the plastic air dam.
And no, those Rubicon plates did not connect with the bumper in any way - the Rubicons I looked at had the standard poly over steel bumpers like the others.
Note: There are two Rubicon front skid plates (protecting the sway bar disconnect motor). One that comes with the Plastic Bumper and another one that comes with the steel bumper that actually bolts to the bottom of the steel bumper. For any after market bumper, of course, you want the skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper. The part numbers are different between the two.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Note: There are two Rubicon front skid plates (protecting the sway bar disconnect motor). One that comes with the Plastic Bumper and another one that comes with the steel bumper that actually bolts to the bottom of the steel bumper. For any after market bumper, of course, you want the skid plate that comes with the plastic bumper. The part numbers are different between the two.
Yup - I looked at every single JT on two lots and concentrated on a couple of things - one being the Rubicon skid plate. It looks to me like it could be a bolt-on for Overland and others as two of the bolts go into the same holes as the metal plate behind the "plastic" air dam.
The other obviously would only work with the steel bumper.
I was referring the type that is on the Rubicon with the metal/poly bumper (the whole bumper isn't poly, only the skin and ends)
Those also do more than protect just the disconnect, which sits up so high it's almost behind the bumper.
I have full skid plates on my Eagle and it's the ONLY way I'd run an Eagle in deep snow or take it off road - heck, around here road and construction debris can puncture oil pans and actually rip up steering parts. Been there.
( Eagle has a metal plat that protects the axle disconnect already - AND a full skid plate to protect steering and suspension parts like the steering stabilizer and so on. So if it was to protect the disconnect, they could use a plate like used on Eagle to protect the axle motor/disconnect)
If it was "only to protect the disconnect" it wouldn't need to be but a fraction of the size it is.
I'm hoping to find a good used Rubicon front skid plate or may end up buying the kit from a dealer or someone.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Yup - I looked at every single JT on two lots and concentrated on a couple of things - one being the Rubicon skid plate. It looks to me like it could be a bolt-on for Overland and others as two of the bolts go into the same holes as the metal plate behind the "plastic" air dam.
The other obviously would only work with the steel bumper.
I was referring the type that is on the Rubicon with the metal/poly bumper (the whole bumper isn't poly, only the skin and ends)
Those also do more than protect just the disconnect, which sits up so high it's almost behind the bumper.
I have full skid plates on my Eagle and it's the ONLY way I'd run an Eagle in deep snow or take it off road - heck, around here road and construction debris can puncture oil pans and actually rip up steering parts. Been there.
( Eagle has a metal plat that protects the axle disconnect already - AND a full skid plate to protect steering and suspension parts like the steering stabilizer and so on. So if it was to protect the disconnect, they could use a plate like used on Eagle to protect the axle motor/disconnect)
If it was "only to protect the disconnect" it wouldn't need to be but a fraction of the size it is.
I'm hoping to find a good used Rubicon front skid plate or may end up buying the kit from a dealer or someone.
I have a Rubicon skid plate that came with the plastic bumper it also requires two brackets to mount. Your far away from me and shipping would be more than the cost of the skid plate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Rubicon skid plate that came with the plastic bumper it also requires two brackets to mount. Your far away from me and shipping would be more than the cost of the skid plate.
That's what I figured after looking yesterday - there are brackets that bolt to the frame then the plate bolts to the brackets and to the frame where the steel plate behind the plastic air dam mounts. So the brackets would be required but otherwise it really should be a direct bolt-on piece.
Shipping is a killer for pretty much any of the parts I'd want - I see plenty even on this forum for sale, but always in FL, CA, WA, ME, never in MN, MO, IL, NB and such - and absolutely nothing in Iowa. In fact I've still to this day only have only seen three that were not on dealer lots - that's it, only 3 JTs in the wild in central Iowa.

The only other thing I could think of would be have some friend or AMC forum member in your area grab it and meet in Colorado Springs next June - will be there for the big international AMO meet.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
That's what I figured after looking yesterday - there are brackets that bolt to the frame then the plate bolts to the brackets and to the frame where the steel plate behind the plastic air dam mounts. So the brackets would be required but otherwise it really should be a direct bolt-on piece.
Shipping is a killer for pretty much any of the parts I'd want - I see plenty even on this forum for sale, but always in FL, CA, WA, ME, never in MN, MO, IL, NB and such - and absolutely nothing in Iowa. In fact I've still to this day only have only seen three that were not on dealer lots - that's it, only 3 JTs in the wild in central Iowa.

The only other thing I could think of would be have some friend or AMC forum member in your area grab it and meet in Colorado Springs next June - will be there for the big international AMO meet.
I have the brackets also. I`m in Simi Valley Ca. if you know someone in my area i`d sell the brackets and skid plate for $50.

Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Need to take the center panel out of my JT to mount the Trail Cam.

Where did you buy the center panel insert from for the grill? Can you post the link and is it painted/color black? Does the pattern match the side patterns? Can you post a close up picture of the panel insert with the hole? Thx!

I’m wondering if the camera panel swap would work with a Bolt hood lock.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

Powered the tab, inreach and phone with 3 spare out let's too.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package

Check the JL forum, there might be someone closer to you selling their JL version.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
Finished putting on the Bartact sest covers and installed a Fox steering stabilizer
20191207_182933.jpg
20191207_182920.jpg

Sponsored

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
1.5-inch Terraflex level kit on front, 0.75-inch Daystar level on rear and a Fox Performance TS steering stabilizer installed today.

6DE6DAFF-3761-45E4-BD12-2C807E0B7A50.jpeg

8D8DAB9A-B7DA-402A-B579-980DDEAF7090.jpeg

F85E4C68-FC86-455E-B371-B4794FB69C7F.jpeg

7EA4D14D-37CF-41E2-A83F-5F8910520231.jpeg

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
1.5-inch Terraflex level kit on front, 0.75-inch Daystar level on rear and a Fox Performance TS steering stabilizer installed today.

6DE6DAFF-3761-45E4-BD12-2C807E0B7A50.jpeg

8D8DAB9A-B7DA-402A-B579-980DDEAF7090.jpeg

F85E4C68-FC86-455E-B371-B4794FB69C7F.jpeg

7EA4D14D-37CF-41E2-A83F-5F8910520231.jpeg
Nice shop - and is that a noodle on the jack handle to prevent banging or scratching the bumper?

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
Very nice. I will be getting Bartacts for mine as well. Black with Orange insert to match the Punk'n :)

Did you get the rear?
Yes and no, i pulled the 60 side out for my service dog, so I paid 130 for the seat behind the driver.