Sponsored

2020 Jeep Gladiator Crash Test

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
I'm curious as to why the driveshaft was spinning prior to impact. Was it in 4wd? Would that change the impact? I know, I'm weird...
So if I understand the operation correctly, the CAD only disconnects the right side axle shaft. The left side is still attached to differential and driveshaft, thus the driveshaft is always turning. But the t-case is not engaged until you pull the lever.
Sponsored

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2015 NIssan Frontier SV crew cab VTP 4x4, 1996 Chevy S10 excab sportside 4.3 5spd
Occupation
F*rd parts guy
And the best part is they crashed the worst color.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So if I understand the operation correctly, the CAD only disconnects the right side axle shaft. The left side is still attached to differential and driveshaft, thus the driveshaft is always turning. But the t-case is not engaged until you pull the lever.
No, it's not, because the motion of the left axle runs through the carrier and spider gears. The reason you disconnect one axle, in this case, the right, is to prevent the carrier itself from spinning and thus the driveshaft.
No, if the right axle is disconnected, the driveshaft will NOT spin.
I've worked on the systems with axle disconnects for years.
In fact, with my Eagle, I could tie the front driveshaft - and have done so, to diagnose noises.
Left axle spins the left differential side gear, motion goes through the spider or differential gears, then to the right side gear and spins the inner half of the right axle the opposite direction. The carrier stays put, the driveshaft doesn't turn.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My problem with running the seat all the way forward is that they still use full size dummies. My wife is only 5ā€™2ā€ so she keeps the seat forward but her knees are still a decent distance from the dash.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well obviously that JT's collision avoidance system failed miserably............. it should have stopped short of that wall.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Well obviously that JT's collision avoidance system failed miserably............. it should have stopped short of that wall.
Great... now Iā€™m questioning if I should have gotten the advanced safety package...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
So, we recently replaced the wifeā€™s 20 year old Lexus RX300 with the Volvo XC40 (which she loves and I like). It has every safety feature out there, and will basically self drive as long as you keep your hand on the wheel. Which will spoil you on a long highway trip. The crash avoidance features are impressive if occasionally annoying. If someone is about to hit your car, it will start to make all sorts of noises tighten the seatbelts and prepare for he double hockey sticks. It will break and steer to avoid. This is great when you are actually having an accident, not so great when the dumba$$ in front of you turns right on the highway but doesnā€™t get completely out of your lane. It will come to a dead halt if necessary to avoid a car turning in front of you slowly. You can easily override its over protective nature, by hitting the gas and swinging left to go around them. That said when you are driving and someone cuts in front of you and you donā€™t see it coming it will do everything to keep you from hitting that maroon.

I am fully impressed. It is not as good as my buddies Model S Tesla, but it is impressive.

JC

Bradsgladiator

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
My problem with running the seat all the way forward is that they still use full size dummies. My wife is only 5ā€™2ā€ so she keeps the seat forward but her knees are still a decent distance from the dash.
That's what I take issue with. Why put a 5'10 dummy in the vehicle and then place it in an unrealistic position to operate the vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I take issue with. Why put a 5'10 dummy in the vehicle and then place it in an unrealistic position to operate the vehicle.
Not unrealistic at all - watch how some other drivers sit - my wife, 5'6" seat clear forward. I know of other drivers who do the same.
Not everyone sits in a vehicle as YOU do and they must account for that percentage, even if it's only 10% - and I may not be far off with that, having worked in auto service for decades moving cars around, it's amazing how often me, only 5'8", has to move a seat back. You see in cases like my wife - she's always bumping the headlight switch with her knees.

There are many handicapped people who must run the seat clear forward, or those with injuries that prevent them from reach out far with their arms - seat forward so they can reach things.
It's very realistic and they must account for it.
(one of my jobs years ago was adaptive equipment for vets and other people with life changing injuries)

Anyway, I am glad they DO test like that because my wife is one of those who MUST run the seat forward to reach the damned dash.
They are working for people like my wife and many many others who drive in that position because they MUST.

Maybe my work at On With Life, or Voc Rehab or other places has colored my points of view, but I can see how some folks get frustrated when others seem to believe the rest of world that's 5'8" should have the seat back farther.
Please consider the other % who aren't perfectly built and able as yourselves............
Americans tend to forget - there's a larger world out there.

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Frontal offset is going to be brutal unless youā€™re running a full width steel bumper.

I rear ended a Nissan pickup in my TJ with an ARB bull bar. It folded the bed up off the frame And against the cab so hard that the rear glass broke. It also collapsed the rear frame and ruptured the gas tank. I drove away from the accident completely fine and the Jeep had zero damage

the Jeep had a 4ā€ rubicon express long arm kit and 35s on it which also added to my safety, in my opinion

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Didn't see this posted, so it's nice to compare the JT to the JLU. Play simultaneously, they almost match up perfectly and you can get side-by-side views with occasionally pausing one or the other as the other catches up

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Didn't see this posted, so it's nice to compare the JT to the JLU. Play simultaneously, they almost match up perfectly and you can get side-by-side views with occasionally pausing one or the other as the other catches up

kinda fun playing them simultaneously.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
The frontal offset is designed to favor small cars I. The lab but doesnā€™t translate to the road. Frontal offset is supposed to simulate a head on collision. The problem is head on collisions, more often than not, involve two vehicles off different mass. In a big dog little dog fight I always put my money on the big dog. Which dog you got your money on in an F250 vs Ford Focus battle?

Interesting point a Jeep dealer in Australia pointed out. The stars are only applicable to vehicles of similar mass. So a 5 star Corolla vs. a 1 star JL will see the JL surviving best. But pit a 1 star JL against a 5 star Land Cruiser and you may see a far different outcome.

I've heard rumours that the 2020 JL is expected to garner 3-4 stars, MUCH better than the piss-poor effort Jeep allowed for the 2019 JL.

Let's also hope they got it correct with the JT. The testing looks good, but things to watch in the JT are where the 1 star JL failed. How is the chest and legs on the dummies in the JT? They were crushed and critical in the JL. Also, with no rear side curtain airbags the rear passengers (child dummies) didn't fair well in the side impact, head injuries.

I thought the JL had side curtain airbags in the front, but not rear?!? I see NO side curtain airbags in the JT. Anyone know what the deal is on this?

Cheers all from Down Under,
Capt. Starboard

Last edited:

brewerydad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Laramie
JL and JT both have front seat side airbags--neither has side curtain airbags.
Sponsored