Factory V8

daspes

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
We already know that MOPAR's Hemi lineup (5.7, 6.4, and 6.2 SC) will git in the Gladiator (along with LS/LT chevy engines). They're already installed aftermarket into the JL's which is the same up forward as our JT's.

Only reasosn not too are EPA MPG requirements across the brand (#1 right there), possible NHSTA standards, and what it would do to RAM sales. Doesn't mean that it won't happen at some point, maybe even sooner than later. But Jeep isn't known for being quick to the market with anything...
Sponsored

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I’d bet a dollar, maybe even 2 that the new grand wagoneer and grand Cherokee are designed around the I6, and never get a V8. Rumors talk about 360-500hp and you’d assume they save some weight and improve gas mileage over the Hemi v8. With a possible 500 hp I6 I just can’t see why they would offer the v8 also.

Assuming that happens on those two platforms I think the likelihood that they expand the v8 into additional vehicles is very low.

I would like to hope they’re working on a new smaller/lighter/better v8 and manual trans to suit but can’t imagine they are.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Wouldn't that make the gas mileage even worse?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I think there's a good chance they'll do it, and with an existing engine. BUT, I think it will be a very expensive Package with many other options and priced to make it hard for the everyman to purchase.

Hell, they put the 6.4 in the Durango. Expensive, but it's out there...and I'd love to have one. The Durango is a driver's SUV, in as much as there is such. Well balanced, V8, rear wheel drive, and unibody. Good towing numbers, too.

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Turbocharged or supercharged Pentastar engines were actually planned at one point, and could still be according to some info:
I think Turbocharged smaller engines is the way Jeep will go, over the V8. In today’s climate, I think V8s are on their way out the door (they may linger on in the larger truck market, but nothing new is going to happen with Jeep putting any new V8s in their line up.
Cheers

Last edited:

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Who knows? If FCA has the gall to call a mid-sized truck with a NA V6 a 'Gladiator', then a 'Hercules' with a turbo V6 should be in line I suppose. Times, they are a-changin'.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would think if anything it would get the new I6 they are developing. Though I also think that would be even harder to get through crash testing with the current structure.

Add me to the list of if they put the v8 with a manual in it, I would buy.
IS there room for an I6? This is an I6 here -

sx4-engine-bay.jpg

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah you have to remember that the last FCA midsize truck that was on sale had a 4.7L V8, which is only a 1.1L increase over the current Gladiator engine. At the same time, Ford was stuffing 4.6L V8s into almost everything they made. So from a "can it fit?" standpoint, it's certainly possible. But it would have to be a clean sheet design I would think. I don't see any current U.S. FCA V8 engines being usable.

And that was the main argument against it from the engineers that were interviewed before the JL made it's debut. They said it would be hard to make it fit properly around the brake booster and other things while maintaining the cooling they needed, and it would also make crash testing sketchy. Remember, the JT already lost the 2.0L turbo option over cooling concerns. I don't see a larger V8 being any easier to keep cool under this tight hood. And the space for a "crumple zone" would also diminish.

I'm still skeptical, but like I said that comment in Four Wheeler was interesting.
You have seen the V8 Grand Cherokees.......... world's fastest SUV according to one magazine.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
The motor in my Alfa Stelio Quad puts out 510HP and uses the same trans. as the JT it`s a motor derived from Ferrari. It would easily fit in the JT and you would not have the weight of a V8. It`s one of the fastest cars i have ever driven and i have bee a member of the Ferrari and Porsche club for 40 yrs.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yes but all the other V8 Jeeps are not solid axles... IFS
I know - I've owned Cherokees and multiple Grand Cherokees and have two now - but there should be space - maybe......... the engine bay of the GC is SHORT, although more narrow in the JT I suspect.
More easily done than an I6 as far as front to rear engine bay space.
Not sure what having a solid axle has to do with it - IFS takes up engine bay space on the sides.
There's still a differential up there to contend with - sitting higher than with a straight axle.
There are some Eagles running around with Jeep front axles under them and V8s under the hood.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I know - I've owned Cherokees and multiple Grand Cherokees and have two now - but there should be space - maybe......... the engine bay of the GC is SHORT, although more narrow than the JT
More easily done than an I6 as far as front to rear engine bay space.
Not sure what having a solid axle has to do with it - IFS takes up engine bay space on the sides.
There's still a differential up there to contend with - sitting higher than with a straight axle.
There are some Eagles running around with Jeep front axles under them and V8s under the hood.
yes I remember the Eagle.. and I assume there is room.. but the handling of an IFS vs solid axel might be an issue considering the issues with JL JT steering...
Sponsored