Jon's Jeep Build

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Purchased my first Jeep in October, 2019; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Granite Crystal.

Purchase Day:
Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 61RdVBFtbD6pUMhIi1PX_n4VTPyNh81WTUxYzsJPH31DsNgJUXIVCF_SwEQ?width=4032&height=2268&cropmode=none

2 years later - Mojave it is!

Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 20211009_112701

2021 Mojave Mods:

2020 Rubicon Mods:

Off the lot mods:

- %40 tint windshield
- %20 tint front side windows
- Spray bed liner
- Access Tonnueau cover
- Fox single stage steering stabilizer
- Fox Single Stage Steering Stabilizer
- AJT Keyfob
- Rugged Ridge Elite Headguards
- 50" Rough Country Single Row Slim Black Series light Bar
- 37x12.50x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
- IPF 100w Halogen Driving Lights
- Mopar 2" Lift
- Westin HDX Steps
- Rough Country Full Width LED Bar
- Rough Country 12000 lb Synthetic Winch
- Fairlead License Plate Mount
- Heated Windshield Wipers
- Armorlite Flooring
- Oracle LED Reverse Lights
- Revolution 4.88 Gears
- Alien Sunshade

Eliminated Mods:
- Rough Country Contoured Side Steps-
- RSE Rock Slide Engineering Steps
- Cheap Tube Doors!
- Molle Plateform Solutions overheard panel
- S&B Cold Air Intake

Current State:
Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 20211027_154539

Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build 1-
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Loose Steering Fix - For ME - Do it your own risk :CWL:

So after some research, and forum threads, by now you've probably learned the loose steering is commonly attributed to a few options:

1.) Alignment
2.) Loose Torque Specs
3.) Steering Box

1. I started the idea that my torque specs were off - so I had an alignment done, which push my tires out a bit (I didn't keep the sheet). I thought this would take care of 1 and 2 - which it didn't.

2. I then went with a steering stabilizer. This tightened up the steering, which I thought was perfect - not so much. Thanks to some forum members, I was informed how that actually just hides the problem but stiffing up the linkage, but not actually taking care of the slop in it's true form. So although this did help - it did not fix the problem near enough.

The golden fix, the steering box adjustment. There are countless threads on here regarding this, but I wanted to put my two cents in on how I did it - steps included - not a lot of pictures....

*********** YOU WILL SEE A GREEN MARK ON THE NUT AND ALLEN SCREW. PUT A BLACK MARK ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE ******************
  1. Remove the airbox, two screws (10mm) towards the front.
  2. Unclip MAF --> has two snap screws as well.
  3. Unclip hose from rear side of MAF
  4. Loosen airbox hoses (8mm)

5. Pull out airbox
  6. Put the wrench on the nut that is on top of the steering box (15mm)
  7. I used a pry bar, and leveraged the axle down below and pulled towards the front of the car - easy.
  8. Use the butane torch and heat the nut and allen up. It took my about 30-45 seconds being about 3 inches off the nut/allen, going in a circular motion to heat up the locktite inside the threads.

9. Lose the nut up exactly 3/4 of a counter clockwise motion.
  10. Place the allen wrench (t25) inside the screw.
  11. While holding the wrench in place, tighten the allen screw (clockwise) 1/4 - 1/2 turn. I did 1/4, then redid this all for a 1/2.
  12. When tightening back up, keep the wrench and allen together, so they over lap --> that way when you tighten the allen screw and nut, they tighten together.

13. When you are looking down you should see your black mark on the allen screw no lining up with the green from factory.
    Here is what it looks like at 1/4 turn. I didn't retake the picture, but hopefully you get the idea.
    Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build at=110&_nc_ohc=RPOVpBEe0HwAQkP0cwzc5RVH_p2CTU96VlQPty6N011LVo5XmBishh9-w&_nc_ht=scontent.ffsd1-1
For those trying this, just know this will more than likely void your steering box warranty, and possibly other things associated with it? I personally can't see how Jeep let this one slide. I just drove 8 hours (4 hour one way) in 48 hours, 20+ mph winds, and that was with a 1/4 turn. 1/2 made all the difference in the world.

Big shout out out to Anthony: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/members/joker4l.24417/

He gave me the clue on the heat and additional 1/4 turn.

All I have left to add - if it's a choice of feeling safe in my vehicle, and voiding a steering box warranty, than risking losing control in the snowstorms, I'd void that warranty every day.

Last edited:

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I’ve adjusted steering boxes on other makes and older jeeps. The risk as I understand it is that if you go too far it is possible to damage or accelerate the wear on the worm gear/follower. Does the FSM have a procedure for adjusting so that you know you went the “right” amount?

On the older cars I’d notice that if I went too far the steering got stiff/harder to turn or wouldn’t self center properly. Then I’d back it off a bit and see how that felt. There’s gotta be a better method than that.

Also on older cars you might have more clearance ”on center” and less near the steering extents due to wear. So an adjustment that “felt good” on center might bind up a bit as you get away from center.

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say I just went 1/4 turn at a time.

I didn't search long enough for a manual, and didn't even both with a torque wrench. I've put about 1000 miles, and does feel a bit tight, so in theory it'll wear it down sooner than later.

As far a the worm gear, I'm %100 behind the idea it'll wear it down sooner than later, but it was either change it, or don't drive it. If you do crush the worm gear by over doing it, well then you'd be out of luck. You'd have to get a new one, then start over or hope you got a new steering box..

Jeep wasn't doing anything about it, and still hasn't so I followed some threads and sure am glad I did.

I just made sure my lines were back in place and set it. Driven through some slick stuff and there is no way I would have even though of attempting that in the previous condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I went with 35s and have 4,440 on the clock.. Specifically K02's and love them.

I don't know if it's a placebo, but with the steering box adjustment as well as the bigger wheels, this thing drives %100 like a different vehicle..
Jeep Gladiator Jon's Jeep Build xpugWjZEdgQwF6WIfqbCOZ5qoug--kZFMPAJXgLNpZp0d_L7XK_O0-8YzFA?width=4032&height=2268&cropmode=none

Last edited:

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Loose Steering Fix - For ME - Do it your own risk :CWL:

So after some research, and forum threads, but now you've probably learned the loose steering is commonly attributed to a few options:

1.) Alignment
2.) Loose Torque Specs
3.) Steering Box

1. I started the idea that my torque specs were off - so I had an alignment done, which pushed them out a bit (didn't keep the sheet). I thought this would take care of 1 and 2 - which it didn't.

2. I then went with a steering stabilizer. This tightened up the steering, which I thought was perfect - not so much. Thanks to some forum members, I was informed how that actually just hides the problem but stiffing up the linkage, but not actually taking care of the slop in it's true form. So although this help - did not fix the problem near enough.

The golden fix, the steering box adjustment. There are countless threads on here regarding this, but I wanted to put my two cents in on how I did it - steps included - not a lot of pictures....

*********** YOU WILL SEE A GREEN MARK ON THE NUT AND ALLEN SCREW. PUT A BLACK ON ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE ******************
  1. Remove the airbox, two screws (10mm) towards the front.
  2. Unclip MAF --> has two snap screws as well.
  3. Unclip hose from rear side of MAF
  4. Lossen airbox hoses (8mm)

5. Pull out airbox
  6. Put the wrench on the nut that is on top of the steering box (15mm)
  7. I used a pry bar, and leveraged the axle down below and pulled towards the front of the car - easy.
  8. Use the butane torch and heat the nut and allen up. It took my about 30-45 seconds being about 3 inches off the nut/allen, going in a circular motion to heat up the locktite inside the threads.

9. Lose the nut up exactly 3/4 of a counter clockwise motion.
  10. Place the allen wrench (t25) inside the screw.
  11. While holding the wrench in place, tighten the allen screw (clockwise) 1/4 - 1/2 turn. I did 1/4, then redid this all for a 1/2.
  12. When tightening back up, keep the wrench and allen together, so they over lap --> that way when you tighten the allen screw and nut, they tighten together.

13. When you are looking down you should see your black mark on the allen screw no lining up with the green from factory.
    Here is what it looks like at 1/4 turn. I didn't retake the picture, but hopefully you get the idea.
    at=110&_nc_ohc=RPOVpBEe0HwAQkP0cwzc5RVH_p2CTU96VlQPty6N011LVo5XmBishh9-w&_nc_ht=scontent.ffsd1-1.jpg
For those trying this, just know this will more than likely void your steering box warranty, and possibly other things associated with it? I personally can't see how Jeep let this one slide. I just drove 8 hours (4 hour one way) in 48 hours, 20+ mph winds, and that was with a 1/4 turn. 1/2 made all the difference in the world.

Big shout out out to Anthony: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/members/joker4l.24417/

He gave me the clue on the heat and additional 1/4 turn.

All I have left to add - if it's a choice of feeling safe in my vehicle, and voiding a steering box warranty, than risking losing control in the snowstorms, I'd void that warranty every day.
I’m having a hard time following your procedure (I’ve had a bit to drink,,,) but if you could elaborate on it I’m sure many would appreciate it, including me.
Thanks

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m having a hard time following your procedure (I’ve had a bit to drink,,,) but if you could elaborate on it I’m sure many would appreciate it, including me.
Thanks
I too have had a little to drink...

Let me check back on this tomorrow????

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will try go get photos so I can do a write up. Pretty busy this weekend but pictures certainly will help. I would do a video but the procedure is done, maybe I'll do both..

But yes. I see your point, I'll touch base if I remember in the coming days!

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ended up putting the Elite Headlight Guards (https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/elite-headlight-guards-jeep-wrangler-jl) on, just liked the look of them more than anything. Reminds me of Halo and 343 Guilt Spark, if there are any Nerds on here.

u-tzs-x-gmYV7meHwliV0AIAXK0gbSipEjqMA2FAU_dBhWHmATKyfYlDaTbA?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

87HO1s1jcx3-Hd8onfL4M3ymdW8HlbTuvSfwmogzBj5_WzJhAtjeux28lcxQ?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

Also got my tube doors in from Ebay - super cold ride at 15 degrees. For sure going to wait until spring to do that again..

T8wvmOouwZ0NaujgpuREgV_ptv6sE-25x8d8JQzBGgj7ll_7Fz62CBdBCxaw?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Front...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

More to come! So much more affordable to mod than the GMC's I've been in..

Next on my list:

- Steps
- Molle Head Panel
- Molle Holster Panel
- Bumper
- Winch

Sponsored

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I added the Molle Platform Solution Panel, and it looks awesome. The only issue I ran into was the installation for the front portion. The screws that hold the latches were very difficult to get at. I did bend it a hair to make it more accessible, but seems like nothing was affected. Overall, super happy with this!

G-_QDZth-T-aW_WIipc0T9o4qdybSOewnzpTARU6CLmVCCpq7RryoytxywCcw?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I added the Molle Platform Solution Panel, and it looks awesome. The only issue I ran into was the installation for the front portion. The screws that hold the latches were very difficult to get at. I did bend it a hair to make it more accessible, but seems like nothing was affected. Overall, super happy with this!

G-_QDZth-T-aW_WIipc0T9o4qdybSOewnzpTARU6CLmVCCpq7RryoytxywCcw?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none.jpg
How is clearance for access to freedom panel latches?

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is clearance for access to freedom panel latches?
It's a little tight, but %100 accessible. Nothing that would change my mind about having it.

OP
OP
FREEZE451

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I added my light bar! Rough Country 50" LED Black Series

7MtgHb82zHyVpjKTgeKvSCK_1yqN3UX_XeyseiIZUlsDnZkB05wISFmCNirzg?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none.jpg

Driving down the road, it's not bad at all, and it sprays the windshield to, which is what I was worried about.

XLr2bt9e299vRLGOECNoxI7RyuMngv81PbXeBogDGX3Xj3o_4uFzrcAOcBSAg?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none.jpg

I ended up using AUX 1 - which is a 40v - way overkill, but I figured why not? As I can always switch them.

Next up..... BUMPER AND WINCH!

TMuG9EibwBhOYpasMSGtCCj5BcKOkAmUtrNZf5ikujUDNVBfBjBcoooIvUM_A?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none.jpg

Keller

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Can you post a pic of the light bar turned on please ;)
Sponsored