First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
And it’s devoted to Solid Front Axles because the Owner doesn’t consider a IFS to be a true off-roader!
HA! Cool vehicles including several Jeeps!

enjoy..

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He is right - but this ain't bad, either - there are others showing them crossing mud and water 2-3 feet deep (with a snorkel for the intake going to the roof)

Love the intro shot of that Ford front end in the video you posted - how things haven't changed........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
gotta love it.. i know the sx4 has a haevy wheel base advantage over my limited wagon, but once i get the solid axel in and 4-6" of lift, i think it'll be right there with em...
The only thing about the unibody setup on these is that the chassis is almost the same as the 2 wheel drive cars - there's little difference except for some extra reinforcement in the rocker panel inside compared to the Concord and some other areas where they do have some advantage.
I have already cracked the A pillar to roof joints twice on my SX4 (front springs are way too stiff, the company I bought from must have thought I had a truck or something so I have to replace the front springs AGAIN)
I have a pair of sub-frame connectors but have wanted to keep it as stock as possible for as long as possible. I prefer these stock - as like the JT - it's absolutely amazing what these can do in stock form.
I sold my rare 1980 Eagle Limited wagon to a guy who is doing a FULL restoration, including opening up every chassis box area and fabricating new pieces for anything that has even a trace of rust. That's how I saw the inside of the rocker area was different.
I am currently parting an 82 SX4 a friend gave me thinking it could be restored - the frame rails are GONE, the rockers are GONE, it sags. Bummer, as it's a complete car and runs and has had a bunch of transmission work done. It survived killing 3 deer in a single shot a few years back. One went under and ripped the exhaust off, one went over and did almost no damage, the other was thrown to the side and smashed the left fender and hood - we found the parts in a local farm field junk yard. Luckily these sit higher than norm or who knows what the deer that went under could have done. Skid plates are your friend with these things.
Sponsored