First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I need a tent that will fit above the truck bed so I don’t add more height, has 4’ of headroom, has a sleeping area at least 60” x 78” and a thicker mattress or at least room to add a queen mattress topper as my wife requires a thicker mattress. Hard shell, ventilation and some rain protection, but most have this these days.

Any ideas or recommendations from the experienced overlanders on this forum?
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I need a tent that will fit above the truck bed so I don’t add more height, has 4’ of headroom, has a sleeping area at least 60” x 78” and a thicker mattress or at least room to add a queen mattress topper as my wife requires a thicker mattress. Hard shell, ventilation and some rain protection, but most have this these days.

I don’t know how you’re going to install a hard shell RTT that size above the bed without going up above the roof of the Gladiator as the bed is much shorter than the RTT with the dimensions you require.

A flip over RTT is the only way I can see that working for you.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
@WhatExit? is right; I believe the only hard shell RTT that fits above the bed of the JT without overhanging the cab or past the tailgate is the iKamper Skycamp Mini. But the inside dimension width is only 50.4”.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

With all these requirements for a RTT I think you would be better off with a trailer. That's a tall order for a tent.

OP
OP
Factoid

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Well... if you're familiar with the Wayout concept.... this is what they ran on it:

https://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tents/maggiolina-extreme/

I'm planning on either this or James Baroud myself.
I had a Baroud and it was fantastic. It was also huge and took up most of the roof on my camper van (the rest was a/c and solar). Renology has a solar set up they say you can install on the top of a hard case roof top tent. Most use gas struts and I was concerned about how long they would last with the added weight. That Maggiolina in the link provides load bars, but it is too short for us (I’m 6’4” and the wife is 6’).

I found this Roofnest Condor that ticks all the boxes, but I’ve never heard of them. Any feedback or experience with how rigid and strong the floor is when open?

https://roofnest.com/product/condor/#toggle-id-1

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know how you’re going to install a hard shell RTT that size above the bed without going up above the roof of the Gladiator as the bed is much shorter than the RTT with the dimensions you require.

A flip over RTT is the only way I can see that working for you.
Take a look at this outstanding build with a custom rack and RTT - it illustrates what's required for a big, hardshell, RTT:

9381a82d-2d37-4daa-b0c9-2497308d5c90-png.png

You can read all about Glacier Gladiator's custom rack here :
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/glaciergladiators-wayout-build.25986/#post-415671

OP
OP
Factoid

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yea, thanks I saw that outstanding build.

it is just a little too tall for my purposes. I’m at 76” with lift and tires which is about my limit. I believe the Roofnest Condor may be exactly the right size to fit on my bed rails. Just need to measure everything once my truck comes back.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
@WhatExit? is right; I believe the only hard shell RTT that fits above the bed of the JT without overhanging the cab or past the tailgate is the iKamper Skycamp Mini. But the inside dimension width is only 50.4”.
I just learned about the "Mini" from a YouTube video searching for RTT's about a week ago - it was a comparison of it with another similar tent . Looks promising IF I go that route, or not, if go with a Hard Cap/Shell . The OP's requirements are gonna be very difficult to fill without some sort of overhand somewhere . . . perhaps a Full Size (RAM) truck is in order ?

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Drop the hard shell and their are thousands of brands that meet this criteria. You're not gonna find a 5 foot hard shell. Most are 7+

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With all these requirements for a RTT I think you would be better off with a trailer. That's a tall order for a tent.
Lots and Lots of Trailers out there that would accommodate Large RTT's of any style . Also to consider, IF a trailer becomes an option for the OP, are Trailers with Folding Tents that are already incorporated into the design - half sits on the trailer and the other opens out & down to ground level - the Aussies are well known of these, and I believe there is a Canadian Company that offers this style - Google/YouTube Search is your friend here .

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a Baroud and it was fantastic. It was also huge and took up most of the roof on my camper van (the rest was a/c and solar). Renology has a solar set up they say you can install on the top of a hard case roof top tent. Most use gas struts and I was concerned about how long they would last with the added weight. That Maggiolina in the link provides load bars, but it is too short for us (I’m 6’4” and the wife is 6’).

I found this Roofnest Condor that ticks all the boxes, but I’ve never heard of them. Any feedback or experience with how rigid and strong the floor is when open?

https://roofnest.com/product/condor/#toggle-id-1
It's a relatively new product, but the company seems to have a good reputation - I base this only off of some YouTubers who have done Owner Reviews ! Brad of Trail Recon "fame" has Just gotten one of these & did an early unboxing video of it a few days ago . . . someone with the know how could possible post it here !?

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Take a look at this outstanding build with a custom rack and RTT - it illustrates what's required for a big, hardshell, RTT:

9381a82d-2d37-4daa-b0c9-2497308d5c90-png.png

You can read all about Glacier Gladiator's custom rack here :
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/glaciergladiators-wayout-build.25986/#post-415671
That is very cool and very similar to the Jeep Concept Vehicle, but if I were gonna go this far . . . I'd just take it one step further and get the AluCab Camper - this way you have INTERIOR access to the RTT from inside the truck bed enclosure; no need for a ladder . All in one RTT & Bed Cap . Sure wish RSI would come out with this, I think they would do a better job of it !

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is very cool and very similar to the Jeep Concept Vehicle, but if I were gonna go this far . . . I'd just take it one step further and get the AluCab Camper - this way you have INTERIOR access to the RTT from inside the truck bed enclosure; no need for a ladder . All in one RTT & Bed Cap . Sure wish RSI would come out with this, I think they would do a better job of it !
Who is RSI?
Sponsored