Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not my understanding at all. That term was coined to describe the style of car that appeared in the early 90s. Hondas especially, slammed with an obnoxious fart can exhaust. Making fun of that car has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers. If someone is criticizing ford trucks etc? are they being racist or xenophobic against Americans?
Not exactly correct, it was first phrased as rice burners in the 60's to describe the imported Japanese bikes that were starting to hit the market. See what a few years has done for that image
Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
associate wealthy individuals.....
now we got class warfare in here.... there's nothing safe anymore, anywhere. Haha!

For the record, i could not care less if someone wanted to start making fun of drunken, degenerate, fat Irish people... couldn't care less. People really need to lighten the fcuk up.

Now let me get back to my Guinness and my pot pie.

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
What hate? I am betting 90% of all Jeep JTs sold are so called mall crawlers. At most they end up on some fire road just so the owner can say they went off road. Personally mine is an everyday driver and tow vehicle for my travel trailer.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
@CMac thank you for properly saying "I could NOT care less". Fat drunk Mick here, and I am not offended:rock:
I used to race a rice burner (crotch rocket) and I'm not Asian. It was a commonly used term from the Harley guys. I always thought it only had to do with where the bike/vehicle was made:facepalm:
I learned something new, again, today. Sorry, to anyone who adopted the term to be racist.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I know why I hate them. Most mall crawler mods have little to no function. In fact they reduce physical performance in exchange for emotional performance. As in people just like the way they look. I hate that. I get off when I see scratched up KMC wheels or whatever > seeing a grumpy grill. It's just stupid imo to spend money to make your vehicle perform worse. A lot of people will look down on others who have money and yet don't spend it well. It's the reason why our economy is flawed. Greed, ignorance, and pride are all you're flaunting around at the mall, imo.

Sponsored

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
I know why I hate them. Most mall crawler mods have little to no function. In fact they reduce physical performance in exchange for emotional performance. As in people just like the way they look. I hate that. I get off when I see scratched up KMC wheels or whatever > seeing a grumpy grill. It's just stupid imo to spend money to make your vehicle perform worse. A lot of people will look down on others who have money and yet don't spend it well. It's the reason why our economy is flawed. Greed, ignorance, and pride are all you're flaunting around at the mall, imo.
No offense but who are you to pass judgment in how anyone else spends their money? Those mods you think are so expensive may not be for someone else and if that’s what they want to do who cares? It’s not hurting anyone. In fact it’s feeding the aftermarket which is benefiting us all.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
No offense but who are you to pass judgment in how anyone else spends their money? Those mods you think are so expensive may not be for someone else and if that’s what they want to do who cares? It’s not hurting anyone. In fact it’s feeding the aftermarket which is benefiting us all.
Dude it barely affects the aftermarket parts most of us off roaders are interested in. All it really would affect is how many ppl buy Jeeps. And the question from the OP is asking why ppl hate on mall crawlers. I am not judging an individual, nor would I be a fool to. I am answering the question.

nyyankees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2004 TJ 4.0
Dude it barely affects the aftermarket parts most of us off roaders are interested in. All it really would affect is how many ppl buy Jeeps. And the question from the OP is asking why ppl hate on mall crawlers. I am not judging an individual, nor would I be a fool to. I am answering the question.
Well I’d disagree with you on the aftermarket because I see a ton of mall crawlers with LEDs, various tips, big tires, wheels, etc... and that’s all contributing to a bigger market for those goods and demand for new innovation. Sounded to me like you’re hating on those folks but I’m happy to wrong man as we’re
all Jeep fans here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Lol racist term. Now that you have explained it I have to laugh at someone taking offense to any little thing. To me using that term to associate Asians is as bad as using the term Mall Crawler to be associate wealthy individuals with no appreciation for the Jeep. In fact mall crawler would be more offensive as it conveys a demeaning attitude and consideration of the owner being a poser, whereas saying someone emulates a highly technical and detailed oriented group with respect to their vehicles’ performance is a compliment. But let’s not get too off topic.
Hey there - some of the highly technical detail oriented people don't build macho chew em up and spit 'em out my wheels are bigger and badder than your wheels because I'm a bigger man type vehicles. (and that's some of the attitude out there from a few - key word, "few")

Mall crawler tends to denote a feminine vehicle - like a soccer mom might drive.
How about sleeper instead? That's what I'd tend to consider a JT that doesn't show off mail order parts but will still out mud or out climb much of what's on the road.

Having a Korean daughter-in-law I have to be mindful of the old terms that may be or are (depending on the case and use) racist.
And if you want GOOD rice - you need to buy Korean rice - go to an Asian market. The stuff you buy at the local grocery store is not even close.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the term “ricer” as it applies to modifying your vehicle was not racist at all. I suppose the term fart can is also racist. I roll my eyes at the need some have to make everything racist. That in its self is racist.

Anyway, vintage American muscle was all the rage when suddenly the younger crowd became priced out of that market and turned to the emerging Japanese performance market and started tricking out their imports. The term referred to the car, not the person. Lighten up, Francis. Oops, I hope that’s not racist.
Ricer applies to the vehicle, not the person. A vehicle from Japan, Korea, etc. - an Asian country.
Fart can is what's in the state park restroom, right?

A fart can adds HP to the car it's attached to, right? Apparently so - why else use 'em? Make the car sound like a Yamaha?

I try to be more aware these days, but "ricer" is about the car from an Asian country, so I'd hope PEOPLE don't take it personally.
My daughter-in-law might laugh.

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Hey there - some of the highly technical detail oriented people don't build macho chew em up and spit 'em out my wheels are bigger and badder than your wheels because I'm a bigger man type vehicles. (and that's some of the attitude out there from a few - key word, "few")

Mall crawler tends to denote a feminine vehicle - like a soccer mom might drive.
How about sleeper instead? That's what I'd tend to consider a JT that doesn't show off mail order parts but will still out mud or out climb much of what's on the road.

Having a Korean daughter-in-law I have to be mindful of the old terms that may be or are (depending on the case and use) racist.
And if you want GOOD rice - you need to buy Korean rice - go to an Asian market. The stuff you buy at the local grocery store is not even close.
I agree with everything except "Mall crawler tends to denote a feminine vehicle - like a soccer mom might drive."

IMO Vehicles are vehicles - there is no such thing as a feminine vehicle or a masculine vehicle, these are just norms laid upon by a bunch of ppl but doesn't hold water. I used to drive a Miata as a second car which was an amazing affordable convertible roadster for me and had a lot of fun with it and the girls loved it but my guy friends used to make fun of me saying it was a chick car but that didn't make me any less masculine :P, I just met more girls who loved the car if you catch my drift!

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Ricer applies to the vehicle, not the person. A vehicle from Japan, Korea, etc. - an Asian country.

I try to be more aware these days, but "ricer" is about the car from an Asian country, so I'd hope PEOPLE don't take it personally.
My daughter-in-law might laugh.
Really? why do you think it is called a "ricer" if it applied to vehicle and not people? Do vehicles eat rice?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My answer to the ricers running around with fart cans. My car's exhaust sets off auto alarms! LOL

engine-front.jpg

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with everything except "Mall crawler tends to denote a feminine vehicle - like a soccer mom might drive."

IMO Vehicles are vehicles - there is no such thing as a feminine vehicle or a masculine vehicle, these are just norms laid upon by a bunch of ppl but doesn't hold water. I used to drive a Miata as a second car which was an amazing affordable convertible roadster for me and had a lot of fun with it and the girls loved it but my guy friends used to make fun of me saying it was a chick car but that didn't make me any less masculine :P, I just met more girls who loved the car if you catch my drift!
Yep chic car is what they called my Boxster.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

LOL - love it. Yeah, catch your drift.

Miata is sporty/classy, IMO.
Sponsored