Sponsored

Gladiator Q4 2019 sales numbers out - thoughts?

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Might be an unpopular one but in my opinion the models other than the Rubicon really dont show very well on the lots, especially compared to other $40k vehicles (Ram Bighorns etc...). For me I really think the biggest difference is the fenders. The lower non-rubi fenders just seem to make the JT look too low and long. It doesnt bother me on JL but it shows so much more on the JT with the longer wheelbase. I think Jeep could have done themselves a favor by improving the wheels a bit too- hell black steelies would be an improvement over the sport wheels.

In addition to that im not sure Ive ever seen a vehicle that competes with its own brands on the same lot so much. A local dealer has a Ram 2500 tradesman with the powerwagon package. After rebates it is more affordable than a stripped Sport S Max tow. Considering it has essentially all the Rubicon goodies, a 6.4 hemi AND a warn zeon from the factory it becomes really hard to justify the JT.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For resale info, would looking at the number of used ones in your area and pricing for them help give an indication?
Last search I did a week or so ago showed something like 3 used ones for sale in Iowa................ there may be more by now but it's no surprise in a state where so few are sold anyway.
As far as my area - none I found.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The 2020 Tacomas haven't been out long enough. There's only around 5 used off roads for sale now. There is a lot of 16-19 trucks for sale. Partly because they sold so many but also because a lot of buyers did not like the drivetrain. There is a lot of used 2020 Gladiators for sale, but they came out a year early. The ones that are for sale are asking a pretty penny and some of them seem like people who thought they could buy one and do lifts and tires and flip for 10k profit. They are finding JT buyers to be much more educated than most deep pocket look at me buyers. Just reading the forum responses and meeting folks with JTs you come to realize there is a solid group of experienced off-roading wrench turners among us.

I meant for the JT

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
16,000 * 4 = 64,000

add 25% for expected fleet (additional) sales = 16,000

They are already meeting projections.

So this is it.

Folks, meet JT 2020, your intentionally high priced lifestyle vehicle with plentiful models optioned uniquely available now on dealer lots or by order. No canabilized sales, not worried about competition.

Jeep-1963-Gladiator-ad-a1-795x1024 (1).jpg

1ffe9e65c1df243bbf6e52f1e5218fe8.jpg

1984 Jeep Ad-01.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
16,000 * 4 = 64,000

add 25% for expected fleet (additional) sales = 16,000

They are already meeting projections.

So this is it.

Folks, meet JT 2020, your intentionally high priced lifestyle vehicle with plentiful models optioned uniquely available now on dealer lots or by order. No canabilized sales, not worried about competition.

Jeep-1963-Gladiator-ad-a1-795x1024 (1).jpg

1ffe9e65c1df243bbf6e52f1e5218fe8.jpg

1984 Jeep Ad-01.jpg
The 4.0 engine in the Cherokee - pure AMC design based off their 4 cyl engine. Then MOPAR added OBD I and then later OBD II but the engine............
I'm running two of them - one in my car, the other in my WJ. I have a one of three prototype performance head for a 4.0 in the box - may use one of these days.

I have a few Jeep things from the past - note in pic below - the logo on the jug is a bit messed up, especially the MOPAR part at the top, but it's still a Jeep jug.
The old ads are cool.

lanterns-jeep-jug.jpg

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I predict the Gladiator JT at a minimum is going to be around and be made for the whole length of the current Wrangler JL platform run before it's next platform change.

This Chicken Little squawking and comparing it to the Tacoma is apples and oranges. Hell, the Toyota FJ Cruiser stuck around for nine model years in the USA even after its sales tanked after the 3rd model year. The JT has a lot of synergy going for it with the JL commonality and the aftermarket support will be way above average for many years to come that make it a much brighter future than other niche vehicles with way less support.

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
JT is perfect vehicle for me. I drove trucks for years. Sold CJD (and now R) for 5 years. Fell in love with the Wrangler then. I've had 4 Wranglers now. 2 door and 4. Missed the bed of my truck like crazy. My kid plays baseball. Getting his gear and coolers out of my soft top, even with a 4 door is a pain.

They were talking about the Gladiator as far back as 2008 when I got out of the business. When I heard it was a reality, I was in 100%. I get my truck and my Jeep. It really can't get any better. I bought a 2WD drive truck once, and I regretted every day of it. Maybe I'm unique, but its perfect for me. Can't argue with some of what's been mentioned. Really thought some of the safety stuff would be standard by now, and it is expensive. Thought my wife was gonna kill me when she found out how much I spent. But its a Jeep. And its a truck. I am so flippin stoked, and can't wait for my wheels to get here so they can finish my build and I can drive it home.

I have to agree with some of the others on here about the looks They really need to beef up the look a bit for the flares and wheels. I've had more than one person tell me they thought it was ugly. I think they cheaped out and went with stock Wrangler wheels. Beef it up just a bit and itts money. In the long run, i think they'll be fine. My friends still in the business think the glut is more on dealers for ordering so many. Interest was extremely high, and not unlike the 300C, they couldn't keep them on the lot. Inventory filled out, and suddenly there were rebates. I don't see it being like the Wrangler, it is after all a truck. But there's not another one like it. My only disappointment was the redesign on the JL that hurt the resale on my '18 JK. I was a little more upside down than I'd have liked, but I traded it anyway.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I think the numbers are just about where they should be. Advertising is just really getting going. I have seen 1 or 2 different commercials several times now. We have the diesel coming out soon that many are waiting for. I expect there may be some price adjustments in the next year. But it seems that they are pretty close to what they wanted as far as volume. It was never going to knock any other mid size trucks off, with the exception of the Frontier maybe. They don't sell many of those.
I am happy to be in the club and I am adjusting from the 3/4 ton but this is just so much more fun.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
In addition to that im not sure Ive ever seen a vehicle that competes with its own brands on the same lot so much. A local dealer has a Ram 2500 tradesman with the powerwagon package. After rebates it is more affordable than a stripped Sport S Max tow. Considering it has essentially all the Rubicon goodies, a 6.4 hemi AND a warn zeon from the factory it becomes really hard to justify the JT.
This is exactly why it took them so long to produce another Jeep pickup = hand-wringing over this scenario, also why the JT is marketed & priced the way it is. You gotta want this specific niche product, not just a pickup.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The target audience is the few of us! We responded exactly as predicted. Tons of mods on ordered vehicles. Jeep loyalists. As mentioned the price per unit makes it profitable. This thing is going to have many even smaller niche packages, golden eagle, honcho, etc. Leading with the LE wasn't an error. It was basically telegraphing how this will be sold. Now, I'm not happy that they didn't make a zillion 25K sport models for the working Joe. That sucks. But, they did what they said they would do, and hats off to them. I'm still priced out, still very happy with my resto Gladiator. But I will buy one of these, just not from FCA, and neither the company nor this consumers cares about that... Win win!!! Happy for all of us. We, all of us, have us a Jeep Truck!!!

Sponsored

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
The JT is just getting started...The future is BRIGHT.

E91C495E-0B17-403A-969C-0382AC3BF4F3_1_201_a.jpeg

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
[QUOTE="

As far as #1 - resale is yet to be determined on JT - it's WAAAY too early to even attempt to judge that no matter how the people who want to trade or sell in the first 6 months gripe about it. IF the JT follows the other Jeeps - resale will be as good if not better than many other vehicles out there.

To be fair, you can really only include 2 through 8 - and those I'll give ya and say "yup"[/QUOTE]

Just noticed on Jeep's site (while again unsuccessfully searching for a Gator Rubicon near me...) that they are now advertising "Best Resale Value of any Pickup" per Black Book.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The 4.0 engine in the Cherokee - pure AMC design based off their 4 cyl engine. Then MOPAR added OBD I and then later OBD II but the engine............
I'm running two of them - one in my car, the other in my WJ. I have a one of three prototype performance head for a 4.0 in the box - may use one of these days.

I have a few Jeep things from the past - note in pic below - the logo on the jug is a bit messed up, especially the MOPAR part at the top, but it's still a Jeep jug.
The old ads are cool.

lanterns-jeep-jug.jpg
Totally cool handrail art! Yeah, I am almost certainly headed back to the straight six either on this resto build or just buy an old 97 Wrangler 2door. I loved that engine. I am very curious why the JT doesn't have a gas mutilating V8 option. Maybe heat issue. But this 2020 truck with big motor would sell!