Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I almost just leased a 2020 Ram 1500 with all the incentives but when I went to pick it up during delivery, the carpets were soaked with water from the rain we had for 2 days straight. I walked from the deal and posted on the 5thgen ram forums. It turns out all the 2019 and 2020 Ram's are having issues with their HVAC, The AC cant seem to cool down the cabin. Its all due to the blend doors which I suspect are the same used on the gladiators as many of the knobs and dials in both trucks are the same.
Now that is interesting - even if it's not the same parts involved, it's interesting because it's another truck with HVAC problems LOL
Like the JT is the only one........ you suggest, naw, you SAY otherwise.
Sponsored

rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
Thanks for this thread. I have the same issue. I live in Arizona so 80% of the time I just have the air on LO and adjust the fan speed and A/C off or on. The only time I use another temp setting is when my wife is in the car and it is winter and she doesn’t like the cold air.

I thought it was odd that at a setting of 68-70, I was getting super hot air coming out of the vents. I assumed that because the air temp was 45, some strange logic was elevating the temp to 80+ until cabin temp hit the setting I selected. But it was so annoying to have the hot air blowing on me I would always just override it back down to LO and shrug.

Now based on this thread I guess it is just a big or design flaw.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I simply turn the vents away from me............

Anyway, I have yet to do the test that's been talked about for manual, but in auto today, temp set to 68, outside temp at 23, I noticed that the fan changed speed - like it should, and once it reached the 68 degrees, there was no air coming out the vents that I could perceive.
Still want to check out manual mode, but auto is working fine. I thought that it might have blown cooler air once warmed up but I suspect it was simply the LACK of any air flow I was noticing, perhaps since it's almost always windy in central Iowa, I was feeling that or something.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I am one of those "read before you buy" guys and this Climate Control issue is completely unacceptable. I purchased my first new car in 1977, a Datsun B210 Honey Bee with no AC. A manual temp setting lever worked perfectly. Over the years, every one of my cars and trucks have behaved as normal-even the Grand Marquis with auto everything. For Jeep to spend YEARS of development on the JT and not have a properly working climate control system speaks volumes about their inability to get it right from the beginning. A new Ranger is looking better and better...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am one of those "read before you buy" guys and this Climate Control issue is completely unacceptable. I purchased my first new car in 1977, a Datsun B210 Honey Bee with no AC. A manual temp setting lever worked perfectly. Over the years, every one of my cars and trucks have behaved as normal-even the Grand Marquis with auto everything. For Jeep to spend YEARS of development on the JT and not have a properly working climate control system speaks volumes about their inability to get it right from the beginning. A new Ranger is looking better and better...
And you do understand you are visiting a hospital to determine the health of the human race?
Or a protest gathering to see how the whole county feels?
They have a problem with some - but that doesn't mean an over-all problem necessarily. Think of the thousands without issues.
There may be a handful where there's not a good understanding of how these things work, too. We just don't know. We're looking at complaints, some spelled out well, some appear to not really be sure.
Every vehicle has growing pains. EVERY vehicle is a product of months or years of development, then reality hits and they find something doesn't go as planned, or a part isn't moving as designed because of some flashing not properly cleaned off. Like the ice makers my son worked on one summer to make money for college - they made many of the parts in Mason City, Iowa, area. They were sent to Mexico for assembly. They came back for some final things. His job - fix the holes they discovered were being done wrong in Mexico. He made decent money at it.
How about the TSM supplements I have - where it was determined after a specific model had been on the road for TWO YEARS that the alignment specs they figured would be correct, weren't so great in the end. The service bulletins sent out a year after a car with factory ram air came out - detailing how to fix a bracket that in the end couldn't support the weight that it was designed for - and tested for.
Realities hit sometimes.......for all we know there may be a problem with a part from another source. Vacuum motors? Electric mixer or damper door controls - Jeep make those? No.
Mock-ups, lab work, all gets intense attention to detail - hey, works great here. Then they find in the field the humans mass producing the part aren't cleaning or filing the edges as much as they did in the lab to see what worked out.

Good luck with the ranger - hope it doesn't have the same HVAC door issues they had a few years ago - that cost folks over a grand in parts alone when the motors failed on those mixer doors.

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
Many of our Jeep trucks HVAC operate as expected in both AUTO and MANUAL and do NOT demonstrate what this thread and some are stating as fact. I am not arguing that some of you have HVAC issues, and it is clear there are issues, and some in the dodge line as well.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Just took delivery of our 2020 Gladiator last week and absolutely love it!

Has anyone had issues with hot air blowing out at settings of 60 or higher? If we bring it to Low and begin feeling cooler air and then increase to 65 it's fine for a moment. Then, hot air begins to blow and it feels the same if we have it set at 65 or 80.

Dealer looked at it and told us no codes showed up when analyzing and that there have been no issues reported, however this doesn't seem right. They recommended we drive it for a bit and see what happens.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'll go ahead and get on record too. I've had this issue once. I set it to 60° and fire-hot air comes out. I set the temp down one button push to "LO" and it's ambient temperature air. I stopped. Turned the Jeep off, opened and closed the doors trying to effectively "restart" the control unit and it hasn't done this since. However, I frequently have trouble setting the temp to one I like. For instance, like most of us (probably), early in ownership I found a temp that felt comfortable to me. Mine was 70° (according to my 8.4 in. screen). Almost every time I set it to that temp, it's either cooler or warmer than the last time I set it there. I thought I might be crazy, but the passenger's temp was physically different even though the "SYNC" button was turned on. Im hoping a future software update will fix the problem. To me, it's not doing any of this consistently enough to warrant a visit to the service department. Yet. Right now I'm calling it the latest "Jeep thing". I have an extended warranty so I'm confident I'll be fine.

Wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2010 JKU
Here is a little additional information from my experience. It’s nice weather here in Houston and my heater is working as intended with Temps outside are in the 60’s or 70’s in the daytime. We had a little cold spell a few weeks ago and my wife complained about the heater in the JT being hot and not adjusting. I wrote it off as user error. We took a road trip to Idaho for Christmas and had the heater issues the entire trip, either blazing hot or cold with no in between. Temps were under 40 degrees the entire trip. Drove me crazy.

We’re back in warmer weather and we haven’t had the issue again. I am wondering if it has something to do with the outside temperature and the computer trying to adjust to reach the set point that I set on the heater. I’m not using auto climate control.

I have a JL and haven’t had the heater issues with it even when the temps drop outside. I’m not sure why the JT is different.

Sponsored

CKUCF

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray Sport S w/ Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Here is a little additional information from my experience. It’s nice weather here in Houston and my heater is working as intended with Temps outside are in the 60’s or 70’s in the daytime. We had a little cold spell a few weeks ago and my wife complained about the heater in the JT being hot and not adjusting. I wrote it off as user error. We took a road trip to Idaho for Christmas and had the heater issues the entire trip, either blazing hot or cold with no in between. Temps were under 40 degrees the entire trip. Drove me crazy.

We’re back in warmer weather and we haven’t had the issue again. I am wondering if it has something to do with the outside temperature and the computer trying to adjust to reach the set point that I set on the heater. I’m not using auto climate control.

I have a JL and haven’t had the heater issues with it even when the temps drop outside. I’m not sure why the JT is different.
This isn’t the issue, as I’ve experienced the same problems here in Florida at 80° ambient temperatures.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
+1 to the scalding hot air. If the outside temp is in the 40s, a setting of 63 gets cold air. A setting of 65 gets air imported from Phoenix, AZ. I have to set the temp to 65, let the car get to where I want it, then dial it back to 63-62 to get cold air. Coming from Hondas, Buicks, and Infinitis with "set it and forget it" temps, it's very annoying.

Also, I've always hated floor vents only. I usually use dash vents. Normally, when I close off passenger dash vents, I get greater air velocity from the driver vents and vice versa. When I open the passenger dash vents, no change in velocity. Interesting.

skipper741

First Name
Skipper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ 2d/Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Same issue here and no sense wasting my time until release of a TSB for an actual solution. Thanks for keeping us all aware of the issue.

Jedibaron13

First Name
Baron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So I’ve noticed something else with the climate control. I generally leave mine set to auto set to somewhere between 70-80 depending on how the hvac is acting. But when it’s say 56 outside and I get in, the inside is really warm from the sun. The hvac never turns on the AC. I end up having to roll the windows down to cool off the cab or screw with the ac controls before anything happens.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
So I’ve noticed something else with the climate control. I generally leave mine set to auto set to somewhere between 70-80 depending on how the hvac is acting. But when it’s say 56 outside and I get in, the inside is really warm from the sun. The hvac never turns on the AC. I end up having to roll the windows down to cool off the cab or screw with the ac controls before anything happens.
I agree here- if it is truely auto it should be cooling of when the cabin gets hot... which kinda debunks the other arguements on here that the hvac is acting as normal when it’s trying to get the cabin temp to where it’s set
Sponsored