Sponsored

Will bed scratches rust?

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Took my bike to the shop for some repairs today in the bed. Unfortunately, it put some fairly deep scratches in the bed. I have intended to getting the bed sprayed eventually, but haven't got around to doing it. Will these scratches rust? Wondering if I should be in a hurry to get it sprayed. I'm pretty sure they scuff it up anyways when they spray it, so I don't think it will affect anything with getting the bed liner sprayed, but don't want it to rust before hand.
Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
It will rust. Do not spray over rust. A good tech will remove all of the rust before spraying, however you will not know if they really did until later when it is too late.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Raw metal will rust in no time. If you are going to hold off on the bed liner get some good paint on it. If you don't make sure all the rust spots are sanded down to bare metal good before doing the liner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
It will rust. Do not spray over rust. A good tech will remove all of the rust before spraying, however you will not know if they really did until later when it is too late.
Raw mettle will rust in no time. If you are going to hold off on the bed liner get some good paint on it. If you don't make sure all the rust spots are sanded down to bare metal good before doing the liner.
How urgently should I be going to get the bed sprayed then if the scratches occurred today? Would waiting a week or two be a problem? The prep process of sanding it before hand should remove any rust? Should I go buy a clear coat touch up pen or something and just go over it for now?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
How urgently should I be going to get the bed sprayed then if the scratches occurred today? Would waiting a week or two be a problem? The prep process of sanding it before hand should remove any rust? Should I go buy a clear coat touch up pen or something and just go over it for now?
You will be fine. It is just surface rust. Removing it before installing the bed liner and no need to worry about it again. I would say there will be no real damage to the metal for quit some time.
Sponsored