Sponsored

3+ person rated RTT (roof top tent) over a Gladiator bed...does it fit?

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
source.gif

Many ways to skin a cat. After years and years of doing this type of thing in every kind of environment, I'll take my RTT any day over a ground tent.
Agreed. I'm just saying that the type of tent camping I do (when I have transport; e.g., truck or raft) is pretty comfy. When it's cold outside, you can do this:

RuirqPz.jpg

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Agreed. I'm just saying that the type of tent camping I do (when I have transport; e.g., truck or raft) is pretty comfy. When it's cold outside, you can do this:
I have a mr buddy heater that will boil you out of the tent quick if turned up and it route it to a 5lb tank I always have handy. And again its all about convenience. I rarely spend 2 nights in the same place. My current setup is down in 3-5 minutes and all the bedding stays in it. once the cover is off its flip out and crash out. putting it back down is just as fast and on to the next spot. dealing with tent poles every day on a 2 week trip would drive me nuts.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a mr buddy heater that will boil you out of the tent quick if turned up and it route it to a 5lb tank I always have handy. And again its all about convenience.
I have an older, medium-sized Mr. Buddy Heater, and a newer larger one. The old one works anywhere. The newer one is designed only to work below 7,000 ft elevation. In other words, it stops working when the oxygen level gets that low. It's funny that the Ace hardware store in Fairplay, Colorado has them for sale, and the store is at 9,900 ft. I have another two-burner heater that I often run off a 20-lb propane tank. I generally run propane when I'm above tree-line or when I'm hunting and don't want to create a ton of human-associated scent. When I'm near friends' campers, I run an extension cord from their outside AC outlets to a small electric space heater.

I have some land in Colorado that's at 10,000ft, and have to use something other than the newer Mr. Buddy Heaters to heat up my "cabin" there:

Dr0lq5Y.jpg

OP
OP
Paladin_JTR

Paladin_JTR

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 JLUR
I seriously must be missing something. Please let me know. What’s the point of a RTT? It makes the vehicle, which is defined by the ability to move, immobile. It’s much more expensive, heavier, permanent, and generally smaller than a regular tent. If I drop a quick set-up tent with my gear, I can drive away and do fun or necessary things elsewhere, and then come back to a fully set-up tent, in which you can stand up, with comfy cots and even a wood-burning stove.

8qgaUWU.jpg

With a RTT, you’re stuck unless you break everything down and start over each time you move. Why?
RTTs are extremely easy and fast to fold away. They really do not make you immobile and most soft shell RTTs only weigh in around 125-175 pounds. You sleep in an elevated position which is just another bonus. Youtube some RTTs and you will see how easy various types are to deploy and pack up. Realistically you can set up camp faster with a RTT because you do not have to worry about ground clearing or tent setup other than opening it up (for most models...usually you will have a few bars for window supports depending on the model). Besides that, the JT is a much better platform for a RTT than a JK was only for the fact that you can (if it works for your situation) put the tent behind the cab in a lower position than actually up over the roof line. This keeps it protected from overhangs, and gives you a lower center of gravity unlike the JKs feeling so top heavy.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
RTTs are extremely easy and fast to fold away. They really do not make you immobile and most soft shell RTTs only weigh in around 125-175 pounds. You sleep in an elevated position which is just another bonus. Youtube some RTTs and you will see how easy various types are to deploy and pack up. Realistically you can set up camp faster with a RTT because you do not have to worry about ground clearing or tent setup other than opening it up (for most models...usually you will have a few bars for window supports depending on the model). Besides that, the JT is a much better platform for a RTT than a JK was only for the fact that you can (if it works for your situation) put the tent behind the cab in a lower position than actually up over the roof line. This keeps it protected from overhangs, and gives you a lower center of gravity unlike the JKs feeling so top heavy and the MPGs are much better when it's below the roof line.
Fixed it for ya :)

Sponsored

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
RTTs are extremely easy and fast to fold away. They really do not make you immobile and most soft shell RTTs only weigh in around 125-175 pounds. You sleep in an elevated position which is just another bonus. Youtube some RTTs and you will see how easy various types are to deploy and pack up. Realistically you can set up camp faster with a RTT because you do not have to worry about ground clearing or tent setup other than opening it up (for most models...usually you will have a few bars for window supports depending on the model). Besides that, the JT is a much better platform for a RTT than a JK was only for the fact that you can (if it works for your situation) put the tent behind the cab in a lower position than actually up over the roof line. This keeps it protected from overhangs, and gives you a lower center of gravity unlike the JKs feeling so top heavy.
RTT's are great! Until you have to pee in the middle of the night. Or have more than 2 people. Or have kids. Or have a dog. Or a lot of wind. Then they suck, and a ground tent is much better. Instant tents nowadays take 2-3 minutes to set up and take down, including staking them. If it were just me by my lonesome, I'd get one, but that kind of defeats the fun for me.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
RTT's are great! Until you have to pee in the middle of the night. Or have more than 2 people. Or have kids. Or have a dog. Or a lot of wind. Then they suck, and a ground tent is much better. Instant tents nowadays take 2-3 minutes to set up and take down, including staking them. If it were just me by my lonesome, I'd get one, but that kind of defeats the fun for me.
We really need a Haha button instead of a like button. My family of 4 has none of these issues maybe you just prefer a ground tent.
Sponsored