Is Lift and Larger Tires Necessary for Overlanding

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Guess it depends on where you are over landing and what you consider overlanding. In the southwest I find that one desperately needs ground clearance due to the rocky terrain.
Sponsored

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Nice rig! I agree, there is a lot you can do w/o mods but there's a lot you shouldn't try without them, especially recovery gear.
Here is where semantics may play in. Recovery gear, including a winch, are not "mods" to me. If you are travelling off road you should have sufficient equipment to get yourself out of at least a moderately bad situation. We can't anticipate everything but there are plenty of resources that will provide a good list of minimum equipment.

Reactions: BAT

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Here is where semantics may play in. Recovery gear, including a winch, are not "mods" to me. If you are travelling off road you should have sufficient equipment to get yourself out of at least a moderately bad situation. We can't anticipate everything but there are plenty of resources that will provide a good list of minimum equipment.
Depends on what it takes to install the winch. A Receiver mount that requires no modifications to the vehicle, sure. But, even a bumper mount one with the factory steel bumper requires removing three blank off plates, which are technically modifications to the stock vehicle. That and a brake controller (which required drilling two holes to mount it) are the only mods on my vehicle. Everything else is bolt on, not requiring removing or changing anything from the factory.

That said, Op asked about a lift and tires, which aren't remotely necessary for overlanding and usually counterproductive given they hurt fuel mileage and the Gladiator only has a 21 gallon tank. Most of overlanding is on highway or dirt roads in 2wd, with the occasional 2 track. I'd get a winch well before anything else.

Actually, everyone is overthinking it. Jeep already asked this question and answered it, with a Gladiator model called "Overland" which has smaller tires than the Rubicon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Recovery gear are tools to me. A winch - well, it doesn't have to require a new bumper and tons of money - a good winch, synthetic rope, and a receiver mount..... there, no mods, but you have a tool and in my case, can be used on either end since I mounted a front receiver.
Jack, rope, winch, pry bar, shovel, blankets (in case you run across an injured person - I carry a couple of blankets in every one of my vehicles - never know when you happen upon a person in need), among other things.

Sponsored

4whlflop

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cj-5
With the Sport S and max tow package you have the limited slip in the rear. You would be amazed where a stock rig would go with a traction adding device in both axles. The dana 44 axles have a number of different TADs to choose from. I am adding before I replace, but will go with a 34" tire and small 1"-2" lift. If you are not afraid of a few dents and dings a stock rig with go many places.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
This thread is so, so true.
It’s easy to listen to influencers and start modding, I’m a victim of that.

I did a Jeep experience tour with some modded LJs and JKs, with big tires and lifts, and went over pretty crazy obstacles. We put them in 4H and !never engaged lockers.
I bought Rubicons for the what ifs but I know I could run a Sport on good tires and go anywhere I would be comfortable at this point. Like others said those old land cruisers go all over the planet!
I shoot for protection and reliability, and recovery… and comfort :idea:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. I really not interested in a lift but I do like the tires that are on the Rubicon and I think those are 33's. Not interested in rock crawling for the most part but I do like to go camping out of the way areas and after looking at some of the videos posted on here and you tube. Looks like a good way to get to some out of the way camping locations. Around here its mostly just simple offroads and beach. There are a couple of beach launch locations and camping locations we go to that cannot be accessed without 4 wheel drive so it will come in handy for that. I saw that the Sam Houston Forest had an overlanding/offroad trail and that is only little over an hour run from me. We are talking about moving after my daughter gets out of High School (3 more years). Wife wants to go somewhere a bit cooler as the brutal heat during the summer months has been kicking her ass and giving her some problems over the past few years. But the rest of the year is great weather. We been talking about maybe Colorado or North Carolina, etc. Also around that time I will be ready to step away from full time employment assuming all goes as planned. Now I just have to settle on the model in the coming months. I had pretty much settled on the Sport S Max Tow but dang when I put in the things I want I see some folks are able to get a Rubicon and while I don't need a Rubicon if I were to pay that much money perhaps its just best to buy more in case I use it later or just go with a less loaded Sport S Max Tow.
we bought our rubicon max tow primarily for towing an overland trailer more effectively than our previous Cherokee trailhawk could, and couldn’t be happier, but it’s proven to be ver capable off-road on relatively severe stuff. We are still running the stock metric (just under 33) Falkens and have only had to turn back on one trail where we needed one more inch to get past a rock shelf. Just too long to not hit the skid plate mid wheelbase. Whatever you choose, I’d definitely go for max tow with 4:10 gears if you can from the factory. Like others though, I want to maintain a safe center of gravity for highway speeds, especially when towing. I think we’ll keep the current tires without any additional lift until the tires are ready for replacement. I might then consider 35’s, but no larger. I put the money into a front bumper and winch for now. After lots of Colorado off-roading and a trip to Moab, it’s proven itself to be far more capable off the lot than I would have thought. Looking at all the lifted rigs makes you feel small, but again agreeing with others, try some roads that look tough and see how easily it does it. I’d only add upgrades that allow you to go where you previously couldn’t. There won’t be that many.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
we bought our rubicon max tow primarily for towing an overland trailer more effectively than our previous Cherokee trailhawk could, and couldn’t be happier, but it’s proven to be ver capable off-road on relatively severe stuff. We are still running the stock metric (just under 33) Falkens and have only had to turn back on one trail where we needed one more inch to get past a rock shelf. Just too long to not hit the skid plate mid wheelbase. Whatever you choose, I’d definitely go for max tow with 4:10 gears if you can from the factory. Like others though, I want to maintain a safe center of gravity for highway speeds, especially when towing. I think we’ll keep the current tires without any additional lift until the tires are ready for replacement. I might then consider 35’s, but no larger. I put the money into a front bumper and winch for now. After lots of Colorado off-roading and a trip to Moab, it’s proven itself to be far more capable off the lot than I would have thought. Looking at all the lifted rigs makes you feel small, but again agreeing with others, try some roads that look tough and see how easily it does it. I’d only add upgrades that allow you to go where you previously couldn’t. There won’t be that many.
Yea since the original post I have been in a Sport S Max Tow which has worked great for what my uses have been. Have not lifted and no plans to in the foreseeable future other than if I am forced to do something when I move from the Rubi take off's to 35's but will see. I have changed out the front bumper and added some offroad lights, moved to LED headlights, DTR and Turn, trifold bed cover. Moved from Hard top to Soft Top. Still working on the winch but life moments have gotten into the way of that (LOL). V ery happy with my JT. Its my DD, my weekend warrior work truck, kayak transport.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Are a lift and larger tires required? Absolutely not.

A Rubicon is incredibly capable right off of the showroom floor.

That said, my personal opinion is that a Rubicon should come with the 2" lift installed already and they should just add it to the base price.
There is definitely merit in this comment when specifically discussing the JT. It is very capable as a stock Rubicon. But due to its long wheelbase you will find the road with your belly and tail occasionally, not the end of the world but annoying. Not having it lifted some will mean sticking to your stated intent as medium to tough trails will induce that wonderful metal on road sound.

Sponsored

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

Go and drive your trails and see what it does.

Most all the roads and sites are accessible via Subaru here. But theres a ton of lesser used trails that are fit for a 2dr Jeep, SxS or other things. Those are a lot of fun. I found I was just dragging the belly over things there so the 2” Mopar lift was added. This was also exasperated by the additional weight of the camper.

The stock rubicon M/Ts have been really good. I’ve not really bashed the axles or anything and needed the additional clearance of tires. I think 35”s are what’ll happen eventually. But I’ll be wanting a re-gear (I have the 6MT, autos would be fine) so I’m in no rush.

Instead of big tires and gears, in the interim, I’ve gone with skid protection. I found most of the problems encountered on the trail were self-inflicted from lack of experience.

All in all, I think lift and 33”-35” is right on the nose when it comes to practical for a overlander rig if you have a want to go on more advanced trails. If you stick to the main roads, whatever you have will do. Just get out

Jeep Gladiator Is Lift and Larger Tires Necessary for Overlanding CF5DFE91-11A4-4DBF-ABC8-0186A0057A91

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
Thanks for the info. I really not interested in a lift but I do like the tires that are on the Rubicon and I think those are 33's. Not interested in rock crawling for the most part but I do like to go camping out of the way areas and after looking at some of the videos posted on here and you tube. Looks like a good way to get to some out of the way camping locations. Around here its mostly just simple offroads and beach. There are a couple of beach launch locations and camping locations we go to that cannot be accessed without 4 wheel drive so it will come in handy for that. I saw that the Sam Houston Forest had an overlanding/offroad trail and that is only little over an hour run from me. We are talking about moving after my daughter gets out of High School (3 more years). Wife wants to go somewhere a bit cooler as the brutal heat during the summer months has been kicking her ass and giving her some problems over the past few years. But the rest of the year is great weather. We been talking about maybe Colorado or North Carolina, etc. Also around that time I will be ready to step away from full time employment assuming all goes as planned. Now I just have to settle on the model in the coming months. I had pretty much settled on the Sport S Max Tow but dang when I put in the things I want I see some folks are able to get a Rubicon and while I don't need a Rubicon if I were to pay that much money perhaps its just best to buy more in case I use it later or just go with a less loaded Sport S Max Tow.
I'm doing the Mack's Toe also and plan on using it stock until the tires fall off. It comes with decent A/Ts anyway. Then I might go up to some nice 33s but not really thinking about lift at this point.
I'll also use it mainly for trails and such.
My son has a lifted 4Runner that is pretty capable if we want to go do some light crawling. Something a bit less than the Funnel and Sand Hollow...

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
A lift is needed to accommodate larger tires and the full articulation of the suspension and larger tires.

Larger tires are needed to gain ground clearance, no other way to move your axles and differentials higher to clear obstacles.

Neither are needed until they are. If your normal off road adventures don't require more ground clearance or more room for articulation, then you NEED neither of these.

Most people do all of the things they do because of either peer pressure or JEEP envy.

I personally feel every trim level of JT & JL should come with 33" tires from factory. With that, 90% of JT owners could do most everything they'd ever want to do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
To this day, and 2 years (at least) later, no one understands - MAX TOW is available only on Sport/Sport S or models BASED on the Sport/Sport S such as FE, etc.
Rubicon cannot have max tow.
Overland cannot have max tow.
Anything based on Overland (HA, for example) cannot have max tow.
Mojave cannot have max tow.

You can have a standard towing package (with the 2" receiver) on the other models, but you cannot possibly buy/obtain Rubicon, Overland, Mojave, High Altitude and so on with max tow.

I personally feel every trim level of JT & JL should come with 33" tires from factory. With that, 90% of JT owners could do most everything they'd ever want to do.
So, that extra .6" of diameter, or in other words, .3" extra height, is enough to justify?
Just wondering, because that's all the difference there is between the stock Overland 32.2" tires and the stock Rubicon 32.8" tires.
.6 total difference in diameter, for a gain of about 1/4" extra height.
Not saying it makes sense to have the differences at all because the differences are so very slight, but just tossing out there - such a little gain.
I think they should come with the same diameter to start with just to keep things even at the starting line. Go ahead and put the tires on the Overland for ride and mpg, go ahead - but then they'd have to recertify towing, etc. with the different tires.
I do find it interesting, though, that Jeep had different diameters when the difference was basically a total of a half inch. Big whoop.
Sponsored