Sponsored

Valet Security

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
My wife and I met our daughter and son-in-law for dinner over the holidays. I was surprised to discover it was Valet parking only. Since I had a pistol in the console that I didn’t intend to take in with me I had to drop her off and park down the street a bit. Got me thinking on how utterly useless the little switchblade key is when you have to leave the key fob with a stranger. This would also apply to service departments. So I resolved to find a cure. I noticed that the switchblade key is held in the fob with a tiny roll pin. I tapped that out, pulled the key out and drilled a small hole so that I could just keep it on my regular key ring.
5BA156D4-7D7E-4312-B896-B8FA493C415F.jpeg

Now I can lock the console or rear seat backs and be reasonably secure in these situations.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Empty Pockets

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part 2
Later I thought of an even easier solution. I use the Gibson Leatherworks key fob holster. I normally have my gym stuff in the Jeep and I discovered that I could use the same lock that I use at the gym to secure the switchblade key in the Gibson holster like this:
8666EE61-BF3C-412D-86C5-006CABAA8F2C.jpeg

has anyone else figured a good way to secure the console short of buying the Tuffy locking lid? I didn’t want to go that route because I’m using one of those nifty tray inserts and like it a lot.

willjtl

First Name
william
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep Gladiator rubicons launch edition
Occupation
Sales professional
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I met our daughter and son-in-law for dinner over the holidays. I was surprised to discover it was Valet parking only. Since I had a pistol in the console that I didn’t intend to take in with me I had to drop her off and park down the street a bit. Got me thinking on how utterly useless the little switchblade key is when you have to leave the key fob with a stranger. This would also apply to service departments. So I resolved to find a cure. I noticed that the switchblade key is held in the fob with a tiny roll pin. I tapped that out, pulled the key out and drilled a small hole so that I could just keep it on my regular key ring.

Now I can lock the console or rear seat backs and be reasonably secure in these situations.
Will need a how to video!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

WOW, hadn't thought of that! Ouch.
Great solution.
Silly that Jeep didn't think about things in the glove box, console or back of the seats that you didn't want even a dealer or other service department - or worse, a valet of all things, to have access to! Just wow.
I hated the switch-blade key thing from day one and I find it keeps opening when I don't want it to - just a touch to the button, maybe it hits the other keys or tape measure in a pocket, whatever, there's that thing jabbing where you prefer not to be jabbed with a key.
Nice idea -

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
At this point I pretty much refuse to valet park anywhere, for multiple reasons. Last fine dining restaurant I rolled in and removed one of their orange cones and parked myself. Then I told them I was in their valet lot. They asked to hold the key while I ate, I said "no". With a smile.

Hopefully Tuffy or others will come out with a decent metal aftermarket locking box on a separate key by the time soft top season rolls around.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Empty Pockets

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Jeep was just thinking about securing things in an open jeep while you hike around a bit with the key, naturally, in your pocket. This solution works out pretty well. Glad you like it. Taking the truck in for service tomorrow. Console with be reasonably secured

G_S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
The whole reason I opted to
AJT Key fob mod.

So when I valet.

I can lock the glove box & take the key with me.

Now if some one would just come out with a after market, locking box for under the back seat.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I have been trying to find just a key. I go diving from shore sometimes and I am used to locking my truck and just taking a key with me. So far I haven't had any luck getting just the key. Dealer told me the only option was to order the whole fob. Not looking for that kind of investment.

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
...So I resolved to find a cure. I noticed that the switchblade key is held in the fob with a tiny roll pin. I tapped that out, pulled the key out and drilled a small hole so that I could just keep it on my regular key ring.

This was a perfect solution for me, and I followed suit.

fJ0sK6Y.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Empty Pockets

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope. The glove box, console and rear seat backs all lock with the switchblade key that is part of the key fob. So if you use a valet, drop the truck for service or loan it to someone you cannot secure your personal stuff. You can lock it all up with the key but then you gotta hand over the key because it is integral with the fob. Kinda shot sighted. If you remove the key from the fob and attach it to your regular key ring as described here you will not have to hand over the key unless you want to.