Sponsored

Anyone Install Mopar Cold Air Intake Yet?

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
I searched the forum, Youtube and Google and unable to locate any decent threads on this topic. If I suck and this has already been discussed, debated, fought about and all the worlds problems solved please feel free to share the link and I will go lie down by my dish.

Let me start by acknowledging this may or may not enhance the performance of my rig. I have read all the other generic cold air intake threads, watched videos etc etc and still going to proceed. I have already purchased the Mopar Cold Air Intake (Part # 77072433AC) along with Mopar cat back exhaust and a crap load of other goodies so this is less about the value or lack there of cold air intakes and more about this specific intake .

Ultimately my question for today is......has anyone installed this? If so did you do it yourself or have the dealership do it? Do you lose the Rubicon on the hood? For the record I was going to take it off anyway but still wondering. Any other feedback regarding this specific cold air intake, install, performance, noise level etc is welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Marx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Launch Edition
Occupation
Education
Ummm Uhhhh Yah

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 3.48.17 PM.png
Sorry no direct knowledge, but I did see a youtuber mount one on a JL and used a audiometer (decibelmeter?) and the upgraded intake was actually quieter than than the factory OE one.

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sorry no direct knowledge, but I did see a youtuber mount one on a JL and used a audiometer (decibelmeter?) and the upgraded intake was actually quieter than than the factory OE one.
Thanks, I will try to track it down.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
id love to see that vid aswell. Been beating around the idea of the mopar intake my self.

Sponsored

Marx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Launch Edition
Occupation
Education
OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting

Im wondering if its even worth it to install with out adding in the hood vent. The vent seems annoying that Id need to cover it when it rains...

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Interesting

Im wondering if its even worth it to install with out adding in the hood vent. The vent seems annoying that Id need to cover it when it rains...
Guessing it would defeat the purpose. Based on the lack of feedback I will be the resident expert aka goat when mine is
installed.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
There is nothing like a "Cold Air Intake" to make the buyer want to tell others about how, "seat-of-the-pants" it's improved performance of his _____ vehicle.

Other than that, the risks of a CEL (Check Engine Light) or MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor issue) or water ingestion or, or, or will make most spend their money in other ways especially on off road vehicles that are more likely to see a lot more water than other vehicles.

Been there, done that - won't do it again

Sponsored

OP
OP
Russler

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
There is nothing like a "Cold Air Intake" to make the buyer want to tell others about how, "seat-of-the-pants" it's improved performance of his _____ vehicle.

Other than that, the risks of a CEL (Check Engine Light) or MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor issue) or water ingestion or, or, or will make most spend their money in other ways especially on off road vehicles that are more likely to see a lot more water than other vehicles.

Been there, done that - won't do it again
Thanks for the feedback Dan. Do you or anyone you know have real life experience with this specific cold air intake on this specific vehicle? I am struggling to find anyone, any blog(s), any videos of this part number getting installed on a JT.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
FWIW, I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 with a factory "Cold Air Intake". It's basically a scoop that pokes through the hood. It has a vacuum motor that closes when the engine is started and pulls air from under the hood. If I stomp on the pedal which is narrow, vacuum drops and that flap pops open which causes the engine to suck in cold air directly from the scoop. Ford called this "Ram Air". Almost everyone in the car world calls it a "Shaker" because it moves with the engine.

I love my Shaker. It looks really badass and it's cool. One would think the 351 Cleveland would benefit from that cold air scoop. Reality says otherwise. There's really no boost in performance from the Cold Air Intake/Ram Air/Shaker. But it's still badass!

Thus, I'm skeptical of all the Cold Air Intake kits out there on the market. If they use an air filter that allows more air flow than the factory air filter, it's possible to get some improved performance. As I see it, only a "Before and After" on a wheel dyno would tell us. And I have yet to see such a demonstration; which is likely not coincidental.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hang on, so this CAI is MORE quiet than the OE one? Then why doesn't FCA use this one as OE?

That makes zero sense. On 99.98% of vehicles, the intake is designed to be as quiet as possible at the sacrifice of a little horsepower and torque. the idea of CAI kits is to gain back the small horsepower and torque loss at the expense of having a quiet intake. In the case of this Mopar kit, everything is backward and makes no sense. They don't claim any gains at all, and it's a quieter system. WTH?

Seems like a complete and utter waste of cash. I'm very confused about why this kit exists. 1) It doesn't come with claims of any increase in power 2) It doesn't sound better than stock 3) It doesn't protect the engine from water ingestion as well as stock. This is odd.

Then again, we've got people paying money for a module that keeps them from having to press a single button when they start the vehicle, so I guess anything goes!

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
I assume the JT intake is identical to the JL? I wonder how the midpipe in the video, combined with a K&N and the stock box would work? Not that I would expect any significant performance from it, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the interesting sound deadening "features" on the OE midpipe.
Sponsored