Pulling a Camper

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Hey i just put in my order for a Rockwood geo pro 19bh! Its 3k lbs unloaded. So should i get a brake controller and show up with it on day one? Never really towed anything other than a very small trailer before so its going to be a learning experience. ALso, should i get a backup camera for it and show up with that on day one?
congrats on the new camper - Yes for sure - you should not tow without a controller at all. I believe it is illegal in some states and no reason to take a chance with new Jeep and new camper. Spend the few bucks and get a nice controller; backup camera optional. I use a Redarc tow pro elite controller in mine with the Nobo and its excellent, but there are plenty of options if you want less expensive out there just make sure you get the harness with the diode.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hey i just put in my order for a Rockwood geo pro 19bh! Its 3k lbs unloaded. So should i get a brake controller and show up with it on day one? Never really towed anything other than a very small trailer before so its going to be a learning experience. ALso, should i get a backup camera for it and show up with that on day one?
Backup camera is standard. The close-up view comes with trailer towing package if I am correct.
But backup camera itself is law and is on all since somewhere in the mid 2010s.

Congrats on the camper

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Backup camera is standard. The close-up view comes with trailer towing package if I am correct.
But backup camera itself is law and is on all since somewhere in the mid 2010s.

Congrats on the camper
I didn't think the camera was standard on geo pro unless you are talking about the Jeep. I thought was backup camera ready but not integrated on geo pro.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't think the camera was standard on geo pro unless you are talking about the Jeep. I thought was backup camera ready but not integrated on geo pro.
Depends on the model year - the law didn't go into effect until May 2018

"All new cars sold in the U.S. must include a backup camera by May 2018"

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Slapping rabbit, Even a light utility trailer when loaded will make your vehicle feel like it is being pushed forward while braking. You can get away with it, but 3000# plus is pushing it! :) Sometimes when you need to stop you need to stop right now! I liked the brakes on my camper so much I installed a set on my utility trailer.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah cars but we are talking about travel trailer.
Yeah - so it won't apply........ if I still had my Forester camper - I'd absolutely want a camera on the back and I wish all pickups capable of pulling such a thing had some sort of interface so when you hooked up, the camera on the back end of the camper would display like the camera on the back of the truck. I can't count how many times I was trying to back into a space on top of a steep area, maybe between other campers or trees or whatever, and had to have someone watch, or get out and check to make sure I wasn't backing over the edge - or about to hit a tree or rock. I've since sold the camper - but even with my car hauler, man, I wish there was a camera on the back end of that thing so I could back it up really close to my other trailer and not bump things. (I have no depth perception - but I'm still not alone in that - how many times do you see someone hop out of the passenger side and guide the driver back with a camper or other trailer??)

Anyway, yeah, to your point. But I wish they all had cameras, and an interface directly to the tow vehicle.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Yeah - so it won't apply........ if I still had my Forester camper - I'd absolutely want a camera on the back and I wish all pickups capable of pulling such a thing had some sort of interface so when you hooked up, the camera on the back end of the camper would display like the camera on the back of the truck. I can't count how many times I was trying to back into a space on top of a steep area, maybe between other campers or trees or whatever, and had to have someone watch, or get out and check to make sure I wasn't backing over the edge - or about to hit a tree or rock. I've since sold the camper - but even with my car hauler, man, I wish there was a camera on the back end of that thing so I could back it up really close to my other trailer and not bump things. (I have no depth perception - but I'm still not alone in that - how many times do you see someone hop out of the passenger side and guide the driver back with a camper or other trailer??)

Anyway, yeah, to your point. But I wish they all had cameras, and an interface directly to the tow vehicle.
That would be so awesome if there was some kind of standard added to the plugs that would allow for that extra camera feed. Even on my landscape trailer having a small one at the back would be hugely helpful at some times.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
yep, you've all convinced me. I'm getting a backup camera for the camper. Now there seem to be a lot of options. None work on the built in display. So should i go tablet compatible or with some kind of system like the garmin?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
yep, you've all convinced me. I'm getting a backup camera for the camper. Now there seem to be a lot of options. None work on the built in display. So should i go tablet compatible or with some kind of system like the garmin?
That's got to be a personal decision based on how YOU work, what tablet you have, how you use it and so on. I could see either way, myself, but I'd like something I could just leave in the truck, too..........
So - how would you use it? What's most important, use a tablet you already have and then be sure to have tablet with you and set it up each time, or have a small device you can just leave with or in the truck?
I guess you could create a Pros and Cons list of each option.

If it was ME, personally, I'd want a device that stayed in the truck, a Garmin sized device, just leave it there. That's me.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah that is a good question. Getting a multi use tablet would be nice. You could watch stuff on it and get apps. I can see that being great. I can also see it getting lost and taken out of the truck and broken damnit. Now I'm angry.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ah that is a good question. Getting a multi use tablet would be nice. You could watch stuff on it and get apps. I can see that being great. I can also see it getting lost and taken out of the truck and broken damnit. Now I'm angry.
You are a hoot - a fun guy to watch/read. Love it.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are a hoot - a fun guy to watch/read. Love it.
Haha glad you enjoy it. Its not on purpose, i just got hit in the head too much as a kid. I do like this forum. You guys are full of great info and I do appreciate it. It saves me from figuring things out the hard way.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Check out this youtube video of a Overland Gladiator pulling a Black Series near Moab. Pretty cool.

Sponsored