Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Honestly, oil and filter changes are so simple on the JL and JT that everybody should be doing it at home in the driveway. It literally takes 5-10 minutes.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Once I use up my Jeep Wave ones I will.
Ditto. Why buy when I can get it free, then do my own later.
Besides, I've got enough oil changes to keep up with right now.
I can make money doing restorations, and get free oil changes. Why take my time doing what they'll do free while I make money.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I haven't done an oil change since I wanted to teach my boys on how to change their own oil. I know it is easy, you still have to dispose of the oil which is a PITA. I'm 70 years old and do a lot of maintenance and DIY projects. Yesterday, I spent a half a day washing the mud off the (inside and outside) of my JT from a couple of months of hunting. Today it rained most of the day, making it a perfect day to get a free oil change from the dealership.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Honestly, oil and filter changes are so simple on the JL and JT that everybody should be doing it at home in the driveway. It literally takes 5-10 minutes.
If only disposing of the used oil and filter wasn't such a PITA...for my area at least.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Sounds like the only way to go and be safe.

I need to research where/how to dispose of oil and filters in my area. Wife won't stand for containers of used oil piling up in the garage.
I agree, do it yourself.
I posted in the forum about buying a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug which allows you to drain the oil without any tools. More importantly it allows you to shut off the flow mid drain so that you can chain containers. I drain mine into gallon milk containers so I use two per change.
You can take the oil to any Advance Auto, Pep Boys etc for free. Then just take your used container and filter and place it in the trash.
Easy.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Your local Walmart should take used oil as well.

OP
OP
Texops

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, do it yourself.
I posted in the forum about buying a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug which allows you to drain the oil without any tools. More importantly it allows you to shut off the flow mid drain so that you can chain containers. I drain mine into gallon milk containers so I use two per change.
You can take the oil to any Advance Auto, Pep Boys etc for free. Then just take your used container and filter and place it in the trash.
Easy.
I installed the Fumoto valve on my Last JK so easy & clean , i'm gonna order one for this rig.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Fumoto valve on my Last JK so easy & clean , i'm gonna order one for this rig.
I know there's a whole lot of fans of such valves, and I'm not against them at all, and will never tell anyone to not use them - but I don't use any valves because they often prevent a little bit of the oil from draining - if such a valve screws into the pan vertically, and it protrudes into the pan at all, there's oil in the pan that can't get up and over and out. (solution - machine off some of the end threads to lower that ledge)
If it screws into a pan horizontally, then a small amount of oil can't get out due to the escape route being raised a little bit.
I know - nit-picky, but my OCD won't let me use such things because I always think of the table spoons of oil that can't get out because the hole is higher, or the valve protrudes up into the pan a little bit.
Picky, eh?
I won't tell anyone they are bad - they keep you and your shop cleaner, prevent burns, you can close it quickly if the pan gets too full or your pan isn't in the right spot, they make sense. Once installed, you don't have to try to remember - ok, what size wrench to I use? Or - do I take 3 or 4 under with me? Also helps prevent stripped threads...........
And in the grand scheme of things, any oil that's left is minimal compared to 5 quarts of fresh, clean, oil.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I know there's a whole lot of fans of such valves, and I'm not against them at all, and will never tell anyone to not use them - but I don't use any valves because they often prevent a little bit of the oil from draining - if such a valve screws into the pan vertically, and it protrudes into the pan at all, there's oil in the pan that can't get up and over and out. (solution - machine off some of the end threads to lower that ledge)
If it screws into a pan horizontally, then a small amount of oil can't get out due to the escape route being raised a little bit.
I know - nit-picky, but my OCD won't let me use such things because I always think of the table spoons of oil that can't get out because the hole is higher, or the valve protrudes up into the pan a little bit.
Picky, eh?
I won't tell anyone they are bad - they keep you and your shop cleaner, prevent burns, you can close it quickly if the pan gets too full or your pan isn't in the right spot, they make sense. Once installed, you don't have to try to remember - ok, what size wrench to I use? Or - do I take 3 or 4 under with me? Also helps prevent stripped threads...........
And in the grand scheme of things, any oil that's left is minimal compared to 5 quarts of fresh, clean, oil.
There is quite a significant amount more oil that lays in the dead spaces of the cylinder head and other engine areas that never drain also. I do not loose sleep over the couple threads a Fumoto Valve that may or may not extend past the drain hole threaded bung.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is quite a significant amount more oil that lays in the dead spaces of the cylinder head and other engine areas that never drain also. I do not loose sleep over the couple threads a Fumoto Valve that may or may not extend past the drain hole threaded bung.
I know - it's crazy, isn't it? Some little thing like that bugs me, though. That's why I said in the grand scheme of things, it's a tiny amount that may or may not be involved.
Maybe someone needs to install one in my JT while I'm not looking LOL
That's why I said they were actually a good idea - and the reasons - clean, easy, no stripped threads, no burned hands (best to change oil hot) and it's less likely to get oil on the driveway than if you slip with the plug removing or reinstalling a drain plug.
It's one of those crazy OCD things.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
It's ironic how dealers are supposed to have "highly trained, certified expert technicians". And they charge premium prices for those "highly trained, certified, expert technicians". Yet, go to to the oil change area at most any dealer and there's Bill and Ted in Bay 1 with Beavis and Butthead over in Bay 2. It is now standard practice for shops to hire entry-level people with no training or experience to do oil changes. And they often get paid minimum wage. I was considering trying those free, Jeep Wave oil changes, but the experiences posted here are not encouraging.

Yeah, I typically change my own oil. As mentioned, any auto parts store that sells oil has to accept used oil. It's also in their best interest. They sell it to companies who recycle it or resell it as heating oil. (Yeah, you can buy shop heaters than burn used, dirty oil.) You can buy reusable oil drain pans with a lid that seals. I drain my oil into such a plastic bin, screw on the lid and take it to my nearby O'Reilly to get dumped into their tank. Easy peasy!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant