First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
So, uh, want to trade lights? No ice down here in Florida!
Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Standard issue with LED's in the US.

I agree that they should come with heating elements.

I have never had MORE issues with LED lights in my jeeps vs the stock halogens. LED lights run much colder than halogens so it is a normal occurrence here. Apparently in EU it is required to have heating elements in the lights so this never happens. Now that is really cool and wish DOT forced that onto automakers here.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Idk why this is such a big issue, this is the perfect excuse to add more lights :P. Just like @noside85 said, just add additional Halogen or any other kind of heated lamps on your bumper or windshield or on the A-pillar and just use it in the snow...

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Idk why this is such a big issue, this is the perfect excuse to add more lights :P. Just like @noside85 said, just add additional Halogen or any other kind of heated lamps on your bumper or windshield or on the A-pillar and just use it in the snow...
I agree, add another set of lights. No sense changing from LED for the five or six times a year you get snow in MD.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
How many times will this exact topic be brought up in a new thread? You should be able to prevent this (at least a little bit) with a ceramic coating on the headlights. Otherwise, move? lol

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've been using halogen lights for 40 years, and they are not "dangerous." I can see everything I need to with them.
Crappy ones certainly are. And the stock JT halogen headlights are awful.

Here's what IIHS had to say about Jeep's halogen lights:

Low beams
On the straightaway, visibility was inadequate on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

The low beams never exceeded glare limits.

High beams
On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests.

I'm glad you can see everything you need with them. Many of us cannot.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
Except for the fact most auxiliary lights are not road legal...especially if mounted higher than headlights.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Except for the fact most auxiliary lights are not road legal...especially if mounted higher than headlights.
You'll get a ticket here using any lights other than factory type headlights on the highway here (save for those with snow plows on the front using headlights on stalks)

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Oh and tires are dangerous on ice, too!

WD40 works great, but clean it off in the spring as it is a dust magnet. WD40 is good for many things! Check out one of their original ads:

44EBC09F-D025-406B-B1CB-9EA7A6924045.jpeg

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
This is why I don't use LED for a main headlight. LEDs are terrible in northern climates. My halogen headlights stayed totally clear during real Alaskan blizzards while my LED KC Daylighters only illuminate the blocks of snow that slowly encase them. If you want more light that is better focused and frost free you go projectors with HID. It takes a lot more effort than putting in an LED but it's not that hard and is a lot cheaper than doing the factory LED package.

20191218_232114.jpg

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Sorry you had a hard time, but just like others, I've been in heavy snow storms and had to clear lights on many different types of vehicles non LED. It's just the first time it's happened to you. You're safe, grab a beer and relax :)

And the heck with snow, I've had to clear the coating of salt off that was so heavy the lights were not working. So keep a rag handy also with some non-freezing fluid so you can wipe them. I spent too many years on the road :) Stay prepared, alert and safe :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Love it when some minimalize dangerous situations. Like it's easy on a busy highway or city street to just pop out and clear lights of ICE thick enough you can't see.

If it was no big deal, then the EU is all messed up requiring ways to keep them clear.
No problem, nothing to see here, folks - move along. Just get out and clean the lights every few minutes. No problem - oh, watch that semi coming at you - hope your boots are good on ice, too.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Everything is dangerous, if not handled properly. Through experience you learn to cope. But, some need to be dramatic. I don't think the OP is, I just wanted to put this in perspective.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
What someone should do is take something like this (picture) and hook a defroster wires to it.

61rgitls+sL._AC_SX466_.jpg
Sponsored