Thinking of trading my 2018 Raptor for a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
OP, to address your biggest concern, HP, I'll share my experience.
Yes, dropping from 450 to 285 hp is really noticeable but remember the old adage that its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I have found this to be the case in spades. I have a 440hp BMW that I can seldom ring out in normal driving and usually gets driven slow. I have more fun maxing out the JT on a regular basis. I may or may not have hit the speed limiter on an empty highway late last night and it may or may not have been a blast. Doing that same speed in the X6 feels like nothing. It's too easy to do something stupid in a car like that.
When I fist got the JT I was disappointed by the power but I think three things happened to make it more fun: the engine is finally breaking in (reports I've read say you need 3-4k miles to find the real max power), the throttle is learning me, and I have learned how to use the throttle (need way more in this than bimmer). It's way more responsive now than when it was brand new. It will now fairly easily break away one of the 33" tires in the rear pulling away at a stop, something very hard to do in any Jeep I've owned without dumping the clutch.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
23770718-015A-4112-964D-B6283A989353.jpeg

Just installed 37’s and daily drive at 6,500’ above sea level. It’s not 450HP but there’s still power to spare when needed.

One thing about driving a JL/JT is you’re never really in a hurry. I’ve one of each and find myself, more often than not, enjoying the ride more than trying to pass everyone in my way. Once off-road the game changes quite a bit. When in 4-lo you disconnect the sway bar up front and admire how relaxed the drive is while the suspension does the work. Again, not a desert runner like your Raptor, but built for other terrain that requires different capabilities.

Good luck on your decision.
Curious as to your fuel economy with the 37" KO2s. Reason I ask, I'm looking at putting on either 35" Toyo R/Ts @68 lb. or 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 71 lb. I see the 37" KO2s weigh 69 lb. which has me thinking.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
They all can have issues. My Gladiator is on it's 2nd transmission and has had a valve cover replaced for a leak. The dealer has been pretty good about it, putting me in a decent rental (I had a Ram Rebel and a JLU turbo), but you could have just gotten a bad one like I did. That said, Raptor and Gladiator (rubi) are very different and built for different types of off-road. I think the pentastar is a great engine, I've gotten over 20mpg on long trips and average 18-19. Don't think you could do that in a Raptor.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So, I'm thinking about trading in my 2018 Raptor (SCab) for a Gladiator Rubicon. I ordered it new and received it in August of 2017. Since then, it has been in the Ford dealer 5 different occasions under warranty for a total of 2.5 months for numerous repairs, all engine and electrical issues. I've been less than happy being stuck in a Fiesta loaner and having so many issues with such an expensive, brand new truck. Prior to my 2018 Raptor, I had a 2012 Raptor (SCab) for 5 years and it was problem free.

Last weekend my wife and I drove a JT Rubicon sitting on a dealer lot. We both liked it a lot. The fit, finish, how it looked. My biggest concern is I'm used to 450 HP, and stepping down to 285 HP just feels awkward. I know there's a small weight and size difference, but it is really very noticeable.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Jeeps, other than a Jeep SRT8 (2008) that I owned for 4 years prior to my 2012 Raptor. However, that SRT8 Jeep was pretty bullet proof and never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance, all the way until I traded it with 98k miles on it.

My only other concern is I often haul our Honda Rancher ATV in the bed of my Raptor, and I'm guessing I'd need to get a trailer going forward with the Gladiator.

If I do make the change, I'd want 35s or 37s for sure, as I have Toyo 35s MTs now on the Raptor and love how they handle. And maybe an ADD front bumper.

Just FYI, my Raptor dealer offered me invoice on a 2020 allocation for all the trouble I've had. So I'm hoping I could get close to invoice on a 2020 Gladiator allocation as well.

Thanks.
You can get 7% below invoice. Info in the forums

Jimmy-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
So, I'm thinking about trading in my 2018 Raptor (SCab) for a Gladiator Rubicon. I ordered it new and received it in August of 2017. Since then, it has been in the Ford dealer 5 different occasions under warranty for a total of 2.5 months for numerous repairs, all engine and electrical issues. I've been less than happy being stuck in a Fiesta loaner and having so many issues with such an expensive, brand new truck. Prior to my 2018 Raptor, I had a 2012 Raptor (SCab) for 5 years and it was problem free.

Last weekend my wife and I drove a JT Rubicon sitting on a dealer lot. We both liked it a lot. The fit, finish, how it looked. My biggest concern is I'm used to 450 HP, and stepping down to 285 HP just feels awkward. I know there's a small weight and size difference, but it is really very noticeable.

I haven't had a lot of experience with Jeeps, other than a Jeep SRT8 (2008) that I owned for 4 years prior to my 2012 Raptor. However, that SRT8 Jeep was pretty bullet proof and never in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance, all the way until I traded it with 98k miles on it.

My only other concern is I often haul our Honda Rancher ATV in the bed of my Raptor, and I'm guessing I'd need to get a trailer going forward with the Gladiator.

If I do make the change, I'd want 35s or 37s for sure, as I have Toyo 35s MTs now on the Raptor and love how they handle. And maybe an ADD front bumper.

Just FYI, my Raptor dealer offered me invoice on a 2020 allocation for all the trouble I've had. So I'm hoping I could get close to invoice on a 2020 Gladiator allocation as well.

Thanks.
2017 Honda Rancher with 26x11-14 rear tires and 26x9-14 front tires.

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0844.jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

Sponsored

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon
I literally just did the same thing. My truck was at the dealer 8 times in 1.5 years for the cam phaser noise and oil consumption. I do miss the power and the Raptor is definitely larger/a bit more comfortable. I'm happy with my Gladiator. I've also had multiple jeeps so I knew what I was getting into. The JT is a huge improvement over my JKU. The fit and finish is decent on mine.

Last edited:

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2019 JL Rubicon
I had a 2017 Raptor that I drove everywhere. It was a great no hassle truck. I ended up selling that to a friend of mine and landed on a 2019. As much as I liked the updates, I didn't really drive it much since I added a daily driver. We are a dealer (non domestic) so I found a preowned Gladiator that was decently priced to flip if I didn't think I liked it. But I did and the rest is history.

It definitely is smaller on the cab size. But since already owning a JL, it was an easy transition. As far as the power issue, you can always do a few things to boost it up. I do plan on adding a supercharger just so hauling doesn't seem like a strain. But really it isn't needed.

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2018
Interesting thread with no closure by the OP. Guess the decision is unknown and I’d say it’s a hard decision since I own both.
24ADF931-BD73-4633-AC6F-7A38668F836B.jpeg
A774C05D-FB28-452D-B957-F4FAB4E5EF58.jpeg

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I own both as well,
I don’t tow and never will so my following assessment is purely based on truck performance on and off-road:

interior:
Raptor interior is downright ugly and cheap. The infotainment is dated. Sea of plastic everywhere. Space is not an issue for me as I own a supercab anyways.
Jeep on the other hand looks gorgeous inside, infotainment is sharp and I get excited every time i get in.

2. Exterior:
Raptor wins hands down here. Gladiator in the rubicon form comes close but raptor is the clear winner

3. drivability:
Here is my surprising assessment. I actually find the gladiator more compliant to drive on or off the highway. It handles small road imperfections a lot nicer than the raptor. Raptor shakes and rattles over the tiniest Bumps.
Yes the raptor is more fun to drive at full throttle no doubt. That is if you can afford 5-7mpg if driven as such. I find myself driving both at the normal pace and can’t claw gladiators drivetrain under my use condition.
Raptor is hard to park gladiator is not

value:
Raptor by far offers the best value for the money. With msrp of 53k you are getting twice the engine and suspension.

I leased my gladiator and that’s the reason I have one. I bought my raptor right out. My gladiator msrp was in mid 40s Range. Would I dish out cash to buy one? No. Would I lease one for 250 per month? Hell yes. Looks 80 percent as cool as the raptor. Just as functional, thrilling to drive with the top down. At less than 40 percent of monthly depreciation of the raptor.

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I own both as well,
I don’t tow and never will so my following assessment is purely based on truck performance on and off-road:

interior:
Raptor interior is downright ugly and cheap. The infotainment is dated. Sea of plastic everywhere. Space is not an issue for me as I own a supercab anyways.
Jeep on the other hand looks gorgeous inside, infotainment is sharp and I get excited every time i get in.

2. Exterior:
Raptor wins hands down here. Gladiator in the rubicon form comes close but raptor is the clear winner

3. drivability:
Here is my surprising assessment. I actually find the gladiator more compliant to drive on or off the highway. It handles small road imperfections a lot nicer than the raptor. Raptor shakes and rattles over the tiniest Bumps.
Yes the raptor is more fun to drive at full throttle no doubt. That is if you can afford 5-7mpg if driven as such. I find myself driving both at the normal pace and can’t claw gladiators drivetrain under my use condition.
Raptor is hard to park gladiator is not

value:
Raptor by far offers the best value for the money. With msrp of 53k you are getting twice the engine and suspension.

I leased my gladiator and that’s the reason I have one. I bought my raptor right out. My gladiator msrp was in mid 40s Range. Would I dish out cash to buy one? No. Would I lease one for 250 per month? Hell yes. Looks 80 percent as cool as the raptor. Just as functional, thrilling to drive with the top down. At less than 40 percent of monthly depreciation of the raptor.
I am curious what year Raptor you have this does not sound like a 2018 new generation Raptor? I have owned now 2 2018 Raptors I leased my first one and then turned her in and turned around 6 months later and picked up a nice used one. I truly regretted turning in my first one and I feel the Raptor is the nicest bad ass truck I have owned and I own many trucks and have owned every brand and model to present. And I love my Gladiator but for me there is a huge difference in the 2018 new generation Raptor over the Gladiator. If its a every day driver the Raptor would be the better choice and honestly neither of these trucks imo would be great everyday choices. And to each his own since you can't go wrong either way if you're into the looks and fun factor. But practicality for either is not a great choice as daily vehicles.

Sponsored

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have a 2019 raptor.
You are right. Raptor is a bit more mature than the gladiator in terms of drivability but I hate how it responds to high frequency oscillation of minor road bumps. neither one is a good daily driver unless you live close to work as average 14mpg gas mileage would break the bank. My wife’s accord gives 40mpg in the city

A5C68351-CB3B-4788-9B88-C0FE2F185D61.jpeg

IceAge

First Name
Garey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2019 raptor.
You are right. Raptor is a bit more mature than the gladiator in terms of drivability but I hate how it responds to high frequency oscillation of minor road bumps. neither one is a good daily driver unless you live close to work as average 14mpg gas mileage would break the bank. My wife’s accord gives 40mpg in the city

A5C68351-CB3B-4788-9B88-C0FE2F185D61.jpeg
Yeah both vehicles ain’t great in mpg and I’m with you on the Honda’s I just picked this up and damn 30mpg so far and just got it.
D94A5FE1-D328-4E32-8C92-8D844A8E62AB.jpeg

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I too have both and I love them both for the different things they do.