Recovery gear in jt.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
How long are the rebar stakes? Pretty slick.
Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Oh man i'm learning a lot. Plus you guys do a lot with those jacks. Do you use the regular or the extreme? It looks like the extreme has some other attachment points that might be useful no?

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Oh man i'm learning a lot. Plus you guys do a lot with those jacks. Do you use the regular or the extreme? It looks like the extreme has some other attachment points that might be useful no?
I have the Extreme with the Winch attachment. I have the long one and had to cut about 5 inches off the bottom of the shaft to get it to fit in my bed.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ah good to know. if i just get the xtreme 48 then i should be good to go.

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
A series anchor is a great thing, I’ve turned many a sapling in an anchor. I learned about it years back in the FD learning high and low angle technical rescue. Helps to set them in at an angle to maximize soil being affected .

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I've had a bit of both ends of the spectrum in previous Jeeps with more weight in recovery gear than people to just some jumpers.

No snow down here with no extreme trails for the JT. I keep seeing basic "kits" put together popping up and it's got me thinking. I wouldn't mind having an "every day" bag of goodies for the typical drive and light camping trip rolled into one to permanently keep in the Jeep. I can get the big stuff on the deep trips, but what are you guys' thoughts on a kit of the basic essentials? Any recommendations? General trip for me would include another vehicle, but will be adding a winch soon for some solo trips.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
I've had a bit of both ends of the spectrum in previous Jeeps with more weight in recovery gear than people to just some jumpers.

No snow down here with no extreme trails for the JT. I keep seeing basic "kits" put together popping up and it's got me thinking. I wouldn't mind having an "every day" bag of goodies for the typical drive and light camping trip rolled into one to permanently keep in the Jeep. I can get the big stuff on the deep trips, but what are you guys' thoughts on a kit of the basic essentials? Any recommendations? General trip for me would include another vehicle, but will be adding a winch soon for some solo trips.
My most basic kit is limited to one item. Shovel.

Next level would include a basic Winch Kit (2 straps, tree saver, a couple shackles, and a couple of soft shackles) and an Axe/saw. When I did not have a winch mounted then I would add Hi-Lift or cum-along.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My most basic kit is limited to one item. Shovel.

Next level would include a basic Winch Kit (2 straps, tree saver, a couple shackles, and a couple of soft shackles) and an Axe/saw. When I did not have a winch mounted then I would add Hi-Lift or cum-along.
Cum-along? I didn't know what that was...DO NOT GOOGLE IT AT WORK!!!!

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
Cum-along? I didn't know what that was...DO NOT GOOGLE IT AT WORK!!!!
Ah yes, I see how that could be problematic so I went ahead and googled it anyway. The entire first page showed exactly what it is--a lever based hand winch (either cable or chain based). I did not dare go to subsequent pages of the search...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
Just a note a 8 lb danfor th anchor works great as wonc h point also.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright i have a question for you. So i have a camper coming my way. What if I get stuck while hauling the camper? Can you winch yourself out as one unit? Do you need to disconnect and do each separate? Do you attach stuff to the hitch part of the camper or is there a better spot? The camper weight is roughly 3k lbs fyi. Not sure how much that matters.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Devices
Alright i have a question for you. So i have a camper coming my way. What if I get stuck while hauling the camper? Can you winch yourself out as one unit? Do you need to disconnect and do each separate? Do you attach stuff to the hitch part of the camper or is there a better spot? The camper weight is roughly 3k lbs fyi. Not sure how much that matters.
I think the answer is that it depends on the situation and the probability that you might get help from another vehicle. Matt's Towing has several video's recovering people that are hooked up to a trailer. In those cases they needed the trailer to remain hooked up. The difficulty is that by disconnecting in a nasty place it is very difficult to get back into position to hook up again. If you are by yourself and unlikely to have help the situation may be very different. Here are some of my examples:

I was about 13 with my family in mid Baja Mexico, Gulf side. We had a tandem trailer (30 foot camp trailer pulling a motorcycle trailer). We drove the rig down onto the beach and camped out for a week (did not see anyone the entire time). On the way out we knew we would not be able to tow tandem so we pulled the motorcycles up to hard dirt then went back down and hooked up the camper trailer. We made it about 1/3 up the slight hill before bogging down. Deflating tires on truck and trailer moved forward a couple feet and we were stuck again. We tried digging and gathering sea water to place on the dry sand but no luck. We finally had to disconnect and were able to drive out. We then placed the largest stock pot we had under the trailers jack and tongue (to act like a ski or snow shoe) and hooked a dynamic rope to the trailer. After 5-6 big pulls we had moved the trailer about 20 feet and the tongue cut our rope. Re-rigging again we continued. After about 100 pulls we got the damn trailer to firm ground where we could hook up and drive away. This took about 5-6 hours total. 1-2 of which with a bicycle hand pump to re-inflate all the damn tires.

Another scenario was about 8 years ago. I was driving my PowerWagon with 28 foot camp trailer on muddy roads in Utah. Got sideways and went into the ditch. I had to Hi Lift the road side tires and chain them up. Engaging lockers allowed me to move forward enough that I got the other front tire out of the ditch so I chained it up. I proceeded to drag the other rear and the trailer in the ditch for 100 yards before it all came out. But, I did some damage to the trailer on the ditch side... In this scenario I am not sure that unhooking would have helped but I was prepared to try if the other efforts failed (I believe it would have caused significantly more damage doing that). A couple of times I have driven past camp trailers abandoned in snowy/muddy ditches (no idea what happened with those).

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I carry a bunch of recovery stuff that I hope someone out on the trails will know how to use properly -- because I really don't. Wish there were a "vehicle recovery" class I could attend, and learn what I need to know!
Some of the off road clubs hold recovery classes.

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase