HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
Do the bolts stay in place with the D-rings as you describe, relatively well? Or would vibrations cause them to work themselves out over time? Some blue loctite maybe?
Look up "nord lock" washers. You'll never put locktite on a bolt again.
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Look up "nord lock" washers. You'll never put locktite on a bolt again.
Maybe but Nord-Lock washers have special requirements...

nord-lock_joint-guide_washer_through-hole.jpg

Through-holes
As for all locking washers, through-holes require two pairs of Nord-Lock washers ā€“ one pair for securing the bolt and a second pair for securing the nut. Turn both fasteners in order to close the cams on both washer pairs before tightening to minimize settlements. Keep the nut secure while tightening the bolt.
https://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/products/washers/product-guides/

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Do the bolts stay in place with the D-rings as you describe, relatively well? Or would vibrations cause them to work themselves out over time? Some blue loctite maybe?
Do the other bolts vibrate out? .The ones that hold the tonneau cover on? Not that I'm aware of. I'd not really worry about that part as much as the maximum pull you can put on. For simple things like keeping things from moving around, strapping something to the side, etc. should be fine. Loctite if concerned about vibration. Even a star lock would be ok but I tend to limit those to bolts and screws #10 or smaller myself. I've got "d-rings" on the side of my utility trailer - I built new wood sides for it a few years back and ran carriage bolts through the wood with rings on the outside to secure a tarp and in the inside to keep things from shifting and moving around. I used loctite - to this day everything is tight. One tiny tube of loctite will last a long time and do more fasteners than you need to worry about - cheap, rust-proof, etc. LOL

I can see his idea as being a cheap, quick solution to certain needs. Some will need more, some won't even need this, but hey, it's an idea he shared. IF it helps even one person it was worth his trouble posting it, IMO.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I put a few of these in today to attach a storage net to. Quick, cheap, and easy solution to handling a few bags of groceries when Iā€™m out with the family and the cabā€™s all full.

5F9517F0-D655-4040-A5F7-7910A7DD3C8A.jpeg
I like that - it's similar to what my wife was mentioning I should do when we loaded up a few things and I had a few jugs of distilled water in the back for my shop - and decided to move them to the back seat floor area.
She suggested one of those net type basket things that attaches to the side, folds or pulls out to put groceries, jugs of milk or whatever in, and then when empty, folds back out of the way. Your post gave me some ideas.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
I put a few of these in today to attach a storage net to. Quick, cheap, and easy solution to handling a few bags of groceries when Iā€™m out with the family and the cabā€™s all full.

5F9517F0-D655-4040-A5F7-7910A7DD3C8A.jpeg
Would be a big help if you posted links to the items you bought - d-rings, net, etc.
Thx

Phinneywood

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S

Warman

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2011King Ranch F-350 for 2020 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Saved!

Sponsored

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
I did the same thing with the D-rings. Put them on every location where there was a screw. Trying to figure out how to do it on the tailgate too. I found removing one of the Torx bolts from the tailgate was useful in clearing out the bedliner from my holes rather than using a tap. Just that and a screwdriver with the torx head was enough to clear them out. In and out a few times and it was clear. I've used them many times already. The metal of the bed isn't super strong, so you do have to be careful with ratcheting tie downs. They were really useful using my bungee net the other day. Lots of connections points at the top of the bed.

2020-12-14 13.51.09.jpg

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist

Jeep Gladiator Strap tie down points instead of Trail Rail 2020-12-14 13.51.09
I have the exact same bungee in the exact same location...just in orange. Great minds think alike?

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
Hello, I Was wondering how the tie downs are holding up for you guys, how much load have you put through them? I sell medical supplies and sometimes need to tie down pallets of gloves..usually weighing >900 lbs Also, do you use washers with the screws? Thank you and sorry for revving an old thread.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
The links are still accurate

Net:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179KBKTS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Tie down anchors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9ZKRH6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Screws:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PNZLRY2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Carabiners:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NCYVQK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I was just thinking about doing something like this.
@Phinneywood I hope you are still around because this is brilliant and I just want to say thank you.
Sponsored