Sponsored

Sport w/Max Tow - What not to change to maintain payload capacity?

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently mud trails and river trails here in Iowa are different than where you and others go. I'd be fine with mine. The rocks were buried long ago by the glaciers unless you get to southern Iowa.
On the other hand, I went 4 wheeling with buggies up in Alaska on old logging and mining trails. The ground clearance wasn't all that great in those - but they were trails used by trucks decades ago.
Point taken.
Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of great places that a stock Jeep can go that most other vehicles can't. But I like to be able to push it a little further.

A modestly-relevant anecdote: A few years ago, my friend and I cut this "road" through an Aspen grove on my land in Colorado to be able to get vehicles back into the middle of the property.

qbH5L51.jpg

My uncle in his F150, caught the vertical brackets under his side step on a stump we had created from a cut-down tree, and almost ripped his side step off. That couldn't happen to my JTR, especially in the configuration it will be in tomorrow.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have never frequented mid size truck forums until I began my pursuit of a Gladiator. I have been a member on the F150 forum for 7 years through ownership of that vehicle. I find A LOT of threads on here concerned about payload and towing, way more than on that site. Way more than I would expect. I'm not sure what the fascination or concern is with this truck. If you are towing at or near the max for the truck; and you are concerned about exceeding the posted limit for your JT, you already know that you should have bought a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. Adding this tire size, or lift, or combo of both will change the capacity of the JT (maybe in a manner that is so small you shouldn't be concerned).

We are now hanging from above? Like some carnival ride?!?!

I can understand that as often as I jump my truck off of ramps and hills, that I may be stretching the springs. I'm willing to accept that.
Isn't there a sport in Florida called gator jumping?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
And just because the JT CAN handle being overloaded doesn’t necessarily mean it SHOULD be, unless you are willing to pay an uncertain increase in damage/wear to components

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of great places that a stock Jeep can go that most other vehicles can't. But I like to be able to push it a little further.

A modestly-relevant anecdote: A few years ago, my friend and I cut this "road" through an Aspen grove on my land in Colorado to be able to get vehicles back into the middle of the property.

My uncle in his F150, caught the vertical brackets under his side step on a stump we had created from a cut-down tree, and almost ripped his side step off. That couldn't happen to my JTR, especially in the configuration it will be in tomorrow.
There's something to be said for learning to go around things instead of plowing through them. I see a lot of the lifted Jeeps with 35-37" tires on them that haven't learned that fairly easy driving technique...They just build a bigger rig so they can run anything over rather than learning to drive the one they have (or they just like the looks).

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There's something to be said for learning to go around things instead of plowing through them. I see a lot of the lifted Jeeps with 35-37" tires on them that haven't learned that fairly easy driving technique...They just build a bigger rig so they can run anything over rather than learning to drive the one they have (or they just like the looks).
I'm at the other extreme. I am fairly cautious and will get someone to spot me if there is anything concerning to me. I think my uncle, whose truck tries are fairly tucked-in, cleared the stump without hitting it with the front tire, but as he was turning a bit, caught it on the step bracket. That's one of the reasons I like having my tires out a bit:

SqNuM4w.jpg

If I'm being fairly-prudent, and don't catch something with my front tire, I'm less likely to gouge other parts of the Jeep on it.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good info on the topic of larger wheels and the consequences. Some of which are offset greatly by the 4.10 gear ratio of the Max Tow

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/so-you-want-bigger-tires-755625.html

And @jms245 , here is a good thread on the subject for you to go through. Lots of posts about the increased COST from wearing out parts and how few folks found the true benefit to lifts/tires given how little off-roading they actually did

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/do-i-need-a-lift-and-tires.4889/

Last edited:

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Stock tires on the Sport S Max Tow are the Duler AT 245/75R 17. I confirmed this today at my local,
dealership, which just got in a Sport S with Max Tow. The AT 245/75R 17s are about a 28.5 inch diameter tyre.
Whilst my JT is the standard tow, with the limited slip diff., I have the same tyre.
Cheers

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Stock tires on the Sport S Max Tow are the Duler AT 245/75R 17. I confirmed this today at my local,
dealership, which just got in a Sport S with Max Tow. The AT 245/75R 17s are about a 28.5 inch diameter tyre.
Whilst my JT is the standard tow, with the limited slip diff., I have the same tyre.
Cheers
I thought Max had 32's and Rubi had 33's

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah, by manufacturer listings the Rubicon tires are 32.8" and the Sport/Overland tires are 31.5".

While mounted on the Jeep, measured in a straight line rather than including the sidewall bulge, they actually measure out 32.2" for Rubicon, and 31.0" for Sport/Overland.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This thread is going to make me get 35s, I know it. Thankfully, God has already shown me a good reason NOT to. Over Christmas I visited my in-laws in the mountains of Eastern KY. They have a maple syrup farm. If I want to go wheeling on their property (and most likely their friends') I need to keep my height EXACTLY as it is, for I barely clear a series of tubes collecting sap going down the mountain. The height is the same as a UTV and I need to get past 3 of these if I want to get to the rest of the mountain to play on. For my purposes I did just fine, but there is no way I will be able to lift the tubing (attached to heavy gauge steel wire) up the extra 1.5-2" of height the 35s would (in theory) give me.

This reminds me of the video recently posted of the JT going to a lake area. At one point there is a rather large tree over the path (not on the actual road). I can imagine a few scenarios where height may limit your ability to go places. That is why I love the HUMVVE, it is high clearance without being necessarily high height. Though it sucks as a daily driver

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
This thread is going to make me get 35s, I know it. Thankfully, God has already shown me a good reason NOT to. Over Christmas I visited my in-laws in the mountains of Eastern KY. They have a maple syrup farm. If I want to go wheeling on their property (and most likely their friends') I need to keep my height EXACTLY as it is, for I barely clear a series of tubes collecting sap going down the mountain. The height is the same as a UTV and I need to get past 3 of these if I want to get to the rest of the mountain to play on. For my purposes I did just fine, but there is no way I will be able to lift the tubing (attached to heavy gauge steel wire) up the extra 1.5-2" of height the 35s would (in theory) give me.

This reminds me of the video recently posted of the JT going to a lake area. At one point there is a rather large tree over the path (not on the actual road). I can imagine a few scenarios where height may limit your ability to go places. That is why I love the HUMVVE, it is high clearance without being necessarily high height. Though it sucks as a daily driver
Get yourself those 35s and then a 4wheeler or SxS. Then ya got both! Good used 4wheelers can be had at good prices now since so many folks are buying side by sides. Easy for me to spend your money, right? ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, by manufacturer listings the Rubicon tires are 32.8" and the Sport/Overland tires are 31.5".

While mounted on the Jeep, measured in a straight line rather than including the sidewall bulge, they actually measure out 32.2" for Rubicon, and 31.0" for Sport/Overland.
Tirerack and others say my Overland tires are 32.1" .

Here are the details copied from TWO different tire sites -
Stock Overland tires - Bridgestone Dueller H/T 255/70R18
diameter 32.1",
width 10.2",
mounts on a 18" rim
649 revolutions per mile.
weighs 45 lbs,
max load of 2535 lbs,
maximum air pressure of 44 psi,
tread depth of 11/32"
should be used on a rim width of 6.5-8.5"

Since the Rubicon tires are 32.8 that means there is a .7" difference. In other words, there's not even a 3/4" difference in diameter.
Figure half of that is below the hub, you have the Rubicon tires on an Overland raising the truck ----------- wait for it.................... a whopping .37" To know how much a tire raises the vehicle, you use the radius, not the diameter.
WHOOO-HOO! Big whoop. Who's going to notice - oh, my neighbor will - hey Bill, I see you lifted your truck! Yeah, Larry will notice that < 3/8" difference the truck sits up.
No wonder no one recalibrates the speedometer for Rubicon tires on an Overland. What's that, a couple less revolutions a mile?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tirerack and others say my Overland tires are 32.1" .

Here are the details copied from TWO different tire sites -
Stock Overland tires - Bridgestone Dueller H/T 255/70R18
diameter 32.1",
width 10.2",
mounts on a 18" rim
649 revolutions per mile.
weighs 45 lbs,
max load of 2535 lbs,
maximum air pressure of 44 psi,
tread depth of 11/32"
should be used on a rim width of 6.5-8.5"

Since the Rubicon tires are 32.8 that means there is a .7" difference. In other words, there's not even a 3/4" difference in diameter.
Figure half of that is below the hub, you have the Rubicon tires on an Overland raising the truck ----------- wait for it.................... a whopping .37" To know how much a tire raises the vehicle, you use the radius, not the diameter.
WHOOO-HOO! Big whoop. Who's going to notice - oh, my neighbor will - hey Bill, I see you lifted your truck! Yeah, Larry will notice that < 3/8" difference the truck sits up.
No wonder no one recalibrates the speedometer for Rubicon tires on an Overland. What's that, a couple less revolutions a mile?[/QUOTE
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Funny how if you go to 6 different tire sites you may end up with 2 or even 3 different dimensions for the same exact tire.
Sponsored