Sponsored

Why a Gladiator (JT) and not a Wrangler (JL)?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why the JT instead of JL? Because I have a JKU already. Been waiting forever for the JT. Used to have a comanche back in the late 80s-early 90s.
Bought a 1987 Comanche Sportruck new in early 87, had it until around 91 or so.......... traded for a Cherokee. Funny thing - the interior was so much like the Comanche. Loved that little truck. 4.0 5 speed 4x4

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Yah, almost all the politicians here are garbage commies. Shame. Signed and shared. Thanks
I sent him an email no reply yet would love to have open conversation
Anyways no since in high jacking this thread with politics ( until they take our Jeeps ) Lamo

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Morehead, you ? deer are from a hunt on western Ky
Looserville (Louisville). I hope to get some hunting done next year in Eastern Ky, this year daughter was born right in the middle of November
I'm in the Frankfort vicinity. A few years ago, my father and uncle and I went to eastern KY on an elk hunt. He harvested a 6x6 bull and it was so big that we got one of the locals to lift it with a backhoe loader bucket and lay it on a utility trailer for us. Quartered it up the best we could and stuffed as much meat as possible into a deep freeze in the back of the truck. Really fun trip...but a pickup truck is a must-have on a hunt like that.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
I'm in the Frankfort vicinity. A few years ago, my father and uncle and I went to eastern KY on an elk hunt. He harvested a 6x6 bull and it was so big that we got one of the locals to lift it with a backhoe loader bucket and lay it on a utility trailer for us. Quartered it up the best we could and stuffed as much meat as possible into a deep freeze in the back of the truck. Really fun trip...but a pickup truck is a must-have on a hunt like that.
A dream hunt for sure congrats

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Got a nice 10 last year. Took three nice doe this year. Needless to say (or maybe not) we eat venison quite a bit. I'm not keen on taking game without eating it (unless it's a nuisance animal).

Looking forward to spring turkey season! I make some killer turkey jerky, if I may say . . .

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Got a nice 10 last year. Took three nice doe this year. Needless to say (or maybe not) we eat venison quite a bit. I'm not keen on taking game without eating it (unless it's a nuisance animal).

Looking forward to spring turkey season! I make some killer turkey jerky, if I may say . . .
Care to share the recipe?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Super simple, I like dry mixes; not a fan of marinades, usually way too much soy . . . the difficult part with turkey is trying to cut the pieces uniform.

For turkey:
JCS_DETAIL_SweetSpicy__38060.1563286577.jpg

For deer:
71B%2BBHWpJRL._SX425_.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Come to my place - wild turkeys everywhere! Seriously, even in our yard and woods. My wife counted a bunch of 20 on her way to a friend's house this am.
They are everywhere and now we don't have many pheasant left- apparently the turkeys eat the pheasant eggs - I am told.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Come to my place - wild turkeys everywhere! Seriously, even in our yard and woods. My wife counted a bunch of 20 on her way to a friend's house this am.
They are everywhere and now we don't have many pheasant left- apparently the turkeys eat the pheasant eggs - I am told.
I’m game, where ya at ?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m game, where ya at ?
A ways away from you - central Iowa. Have an acreage about a couple miles from the Des Moines river, a lot of trees, fields, grassy areas, good for hunting almost anything. We have deer, turkeys, whatever.

Even heard coyotes in the past.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
A ways away from you - central Iowa. Have an acreage about a couple miles from the Des Moines river, a lot of trees, fields, grassy areas, good for hunting almost anything. We have deer, turkeys, whatever.

Even heard coyotes in the past.
Pm me maybe we can set up something for vets to come out

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree. From what I have seen of the JLU (and correct me if I am mistaken, I have not driven one or been inside of one, the cargo space of the JLU is pretty good given you can stack items. I saw a video of all the stuff LiteBrite got into the back of theirs, it was impressive. With the truck bed, given it is fairly low siding, you can't really stack items. Heck, a set of 32" tires felt like they were about to topple out of my bed with every curve in the road.

My previous vehicle was a Honda Element. With the seats folded up you could fit ALOT of stuff in it. What it (and other comparable SUVs) didn't have is the payload of a JT (only 675lbs!) which is why I got the JT over anything else. Nothing had the payload, off-road capability, and looks, but mostly payload.

How do the actual numbers play out? The JLU has a listed 72.4 cubic feet of cargo area. The JT only has 25.8.

jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-trunk-dimensions-measurements0-780x405.jpg

Now, I'm sure you can increase the JT's cargo space with a TrailRail system and add cross rails like this

2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Utility-Trail-Rail-System.jpg.image.1440.jpg

But what the JLU will NEVER be able to compete with is towing capacity. It can actually compete with payload, as the JLU sport has a 1300lb payload rating and the others are in the 1200lb range. When loading up though, that 200-300lbs difference between JLU and JT can make or break your trip. Towing is where the JT shines, and is why I went with it. 7000/7650, or even 6000 for the overland, is double or more the parsley 3500 towing of the JLU.
You can stack just as high if not higher in the gladiator, you just tie down your load, which if you have a load higher than the truck bed sides you would want to tie down anyway. Try hauling plywood in a JLU or 8 sacks of concrete!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on WHAT you are carrying - my wife would never go for having her 10 grand sewing machine in the bed of a truck, or her sewing chair or her supplies and fabric. INSIDE the cab, period. Don't even think about discussing it. I want the cooler inside where I can reach it, my clothes in my bag in the cab. So the JT is a good mix for me, not so much for her.
Can't haul antique engines or large car parts inside the back of a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.