Sponsored

Added a winch and Rusty’s mounting plate

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
I added a winch to my Pumkin’ JT. This was an involved yet simple DYI job. The parts list:

1. Rusty’s Winch Mount - 2018+ JL Wrangler / 2020+ JT Gladiator RR-WM55-JLJT
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-winch-mount-2018-jl-wrangler-jt-gladiator.html

2. X-BULL 12V Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch-13000 lb. Load Capacity IP67 (Orange)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JTYWVJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. WARN Red 102300 Jeep JL Fairlead Backing Plate and Hook Stay
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ2YJTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Anzio Half-Link Clevis Safety Latch Swivel Winch Hook 4X4 Jeep Wrangler Off-Road WLL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5K772W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Mopar 82215351 Jeep Wrangler Grille and Winch Guard
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQJRVS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Background

I choose the X-Bull winch because it seem to meet my requirements and budget. I am not a hardcore rock crawler or trail boss. I use my Jeep on rough access roads/trails, fire roads, and in fields…and lots of mud. It works hard (it predecessors did and the JT will too) clearing brush, hauling wood, water runs, and general middle of nowhere living needs. A winch is useful for some of the chores and self-rescue.

Rusty’s products are well reviewed. I could not find a bad word about them. With that I selected Rusty’s winch mount plate.

The hook the cam with winch had a small opening for the clevis pin. It did not seem to have enough room for the cable eye. That’s why I purchased the second larger hook.

I wanted a place to hang the hook so it did not bang around. For that I got the Warn hook stay.

Installing the bits and pieces

The install was fairly simple but did take some fiddling. I started by add the switch/controller to the winch. They were shipped detached. The instructions X-Bull provided were lacking. Which way does it go? After a little trail-n-error I figured it. The picture on the box does not show the protruding cables. That would have help to figure it out. Also, if I knew the cables were just out like that I might have ponied up for the Warn or Smitty Built.

Then I turned to the mounting plate. Rusty’s instructions were spot on and great. The only improvement I would suggest is clearer colored pictures. Even if the pictures were offered online and referenced next to the grainy black and whites that accompanied the mount plate. Despite the grainy pictures. The written details were wonderful. They include a clear procedure: do this step and expect this. They identified the size sockets and wrenches you need for the Jeep and their stuff. Well done. I can’t say enough.

Following the excellent Rusty’s instructions I removed the plastic trim between the bumper and grill. Then the cover plate where the winch will go. Then lowered the skid plate after removing the 7 bolts. I diverged from the instructions at that point to add the winch guard. This worked out well as a handle to muscle around the bumper later. Then I continued to follow Rusty’s guided steps to remove the bumper.

With the bumper on the ground I installed the fairlead and hook stay. The Warn hook stay comes with a license plate bracket but it will not stay in place unless you have a fairlead that covers it. The one that came with the winch does not cover it.

Installing the winch mount plate had one challenge, it is a very tight fit. I had to hold it while tapping it with a rubber mallet from underneath. A second set of hands would have been nice. Tap a little on each side to move it slowly into place. It took a lot of tapping and some banging. Eventually it got there. I used the provided bolts to align it.

Then I placed the winch on and the cables coming out switch/ controller box was pushing against the grill. One, I did not like that. Two, the winch would not slide back enough to bolt in place. I put the winch back on the ground and turned the switch/controller box around. Now it fit on the mount plate with room to spare. However, the cables were now preventing the bumper from sliding into place. I took the winch back off and examined it for a while. Finally, I took the box apart and was able to move it back an inch on its mount to the winch. Now everything fit.

I went to put the bumper back on. The holes for the winch mount plate were not completely lined up with the bumper mounts. I put the bumper down. I was glad the winch guard was on to use as a handle. Then took the winch off. The loosened the inner bolts holding the mount plate to the frame rails. Grabbed the winch guard, squatted, and lifted the bumper again. The winch let me handle the bumper like a weight bar. Squat and lift then curl if need. I got the upper bolts in place and was able to hold it there with one hand and whack the mounting plate with the rubber mallet a little. Then wiggle the bumper. The bumper slide right into the place. I tightened up the inner bolts again. Removed the bumper and mounted the winch. Then lifted the bumper back into place. And bolted it all up.

I ran the black and red cables up the passenger side inner fender well. The black fit with no problem. I was able to route it cleanly and off to the side. The red fit but I had to run over top a few things. I do not like that. I have on order a short cable and terminal block in red so I can reroute the positive or red cable.

It works. The winch pulls out and spools back in. I pull the Jeep up the driveway towards a tree. Not very challenge but was fun and rewarding to see it work.

Living in MD the Jeep is required to have a front plate. I took a piece of aluminum angle metal and mounted it to the back of the OEM plastic license plate bracket. The drilled a hole on the top through the aluminum bracket. I was then able to bolt on to the Jeep with a bolt from the skid plate. I do not like the way it looks but it is street legal for now. I will find a better solution. The flip up ones will not fit over the Warn hook stay. I will figure something out.

All in all, this is simple DYI project if you have the right hand tools, patience, and ability to troubleshoot little things. Having a second set of hands would be nice. But you can solo it like I did.

20200105_134236.jpg

20200105_163420.jpg

20200106_014232.jpg

20200111_022525.jpg
Sponsored

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
@LANGeek
Did you cut the extra bit of bumper inside the fairlead plate per instructions? When I put the fairlead on and eyeball it, I don't think the cable will hit the bumper but wondering what others did here, as I don't have tools on hand to cut this steel.

OP
OP
LANGeek

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LANGeek
Did you cut the extra bit of bumper inside the fairlead plate per instructions? When I put the fairlead on and eyeball it, I don't think the cable will hit the bumper but wondering what others did here, as I don't have tools on hand to cut this steel.
No, I did not cut anything.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
based on your writeup, i bought the rusty,s winch plate that you bought. however, i went out and bought the Smittybuilt XRC3 12000 lbs synthetic rope winch. when i picked up the winch, i was told that it might not fit because the place i obtained the winch from had tried to mount the XRC3 to a gladiator and the steel factory steel bumper and it was too tight. i was informed the winch plate they used was not the Rusty's. pictures below. in my opinion, i think the Smittybuilt and the rusty's plate is a great way to go. as to the installation, it was a breeze.

20200828_185614.jpg

20200828_201403.jpg

20200902_173903.jpg

OP
OP
LANGeek

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
based on your writeup, i bought the rusty,s winch plate that you bought. however, i went out and bought the Smittybuilt XRC3 12000 lbs synthetic rope winch. when i picked up the winch, i was told that it might not fit because the place i obtained the winch from had tried to mount the XRC3 to a gladiator and the steel factory steel bumper and it was too tight. i was informed the winch plate they used was not the Rusty's. pictures below. in my opinion, i think the Smittybuilt and the rusty's plate is a great way to go. as to the installation, it was a breeze.

Jeep Gladiator Added a winch and Rusty’s mounting plate 20200902_173903

Glad I could help.
The Jeep looks nice.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I installed a Warn Evo 12s on Rusty's plate and I think the plate is flexing under load.
Sponsored