uplandgunner

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I am used to the button location on my wife's GC.
I drove a Compass as a loaner while they dug into my box cover. Same button location almost as my wife's GC.
The button for the JT is in a totally different place, different angle.
After driving the compass to return it, I got home with the JT and pushed....... and pushed, what the heck? Oops, button is over here.......
Now I watch for the dash to indicate it's off. With my hearing in loud places it's hard to go by sound.
it was definitely off. If I would have left it running the seat and steering wheel heaters would not have been on again. I always turn the steering wheel heater off after a couple of minutes, that thing gets really warm. I know the steering wheel and seat heaters were off when I pulled in.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
it was definitely off. If I would have left it running the seat and steering wheel heaters would not have been on again. I always turn the steering wheel heater off after a couple of minutes, that thing gets really warm. I know the steering wheel and seat heaters were off when I pulled in.
Not arguing, just tossing out thoughts and possibles.
ANY remote start forces you to push the button to be able to go anywhere. Certain things are not enabled if you do not. Check the difference next time you do a remote start, then unlock the doors and get in - see what's on, what's not on, and what you can't do.
A remote start via the key fob or even phone through uconnect means it's locked and you can't just unlock and get in and drive away.
There's always a lot of talk about someone else starting a modern vehicle - the basic truth to it all is that - so what? They can't do a thing other than start it. No one can drive away with it. IF you didn't have the fob and tried to push the button and drive off it won't let you. You must have the fob AND push the button to take it far.
Remote start only starts - it doesn't enable other electronics until you hit the button.

Also whether you like it or not, some actions are so automatic it's done via muscle memory and you won't have recollection of having done so......the human brain is an amazing and scary thing, what you do and not know you've done it, what you think you have done but have not............. I'll leave that there.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
So no human error.

Now to figure out how you start a vehicle without sending a uconnect command, using a key fob, pressing the break, no pushing a start button nor manual start.

Your heating elements (wheel/seat/rear defrost/heat) will activate if vehicle has been remote started and temp below 40 degrees.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So no human error.

Now to figure out how you start a vehicle without sending a uconnect command, using a key fob, pressing the break, no pushing a start button nor manual start.

Your heating elements (wheel/seat/rear defrost/heat) will activate if vehicle has been remote started and temp below 40 degrees.
I can't remember - mine are set that way - but was that the DEFAULT, or did I enable that in uconnect? You can turn that off but I can't recall what the default is.
November 12th seems like so very long ago now! LOL The night I picked mine up and set those settings up. How do I remember the date? Count back 5 from November 17th - my wife's birthday - forget the 17th and I pay DEARLY.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I can't remember - mine are set that way - but was that the DEFAULT, or did I enable that in uconnect? You can turn that off but I can't recall what the default is.
November 12th seems like so very long ago now! LOL The night I picked mine up and set those settings up. How do I remember the date? Count back 5 from November 17th - my wife's birthday - forget the 17th and I pay DEARLY.

Sponsored

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
This is interesting, no reason to not believe the OP.

But either way something that is not supposed to happen, had to happen.

If the remote start started the vehicle, then it would require the user to depress the brake and press the start button. As folks have described the vehicle and other functions will not work, I often forget I remote started the vehicle and try to use functions and be like WTF. The OP said he did not have to push the button.

If the vehicle was running and auto start turned it off and the OP didn't notice. Then the system turned back on the steering wheel heater and seat heaters which it shouldn't have done. OP is confident these were off.

Weird, will be interested if this can be recreated. I don't have the wheel heater or seat heaters, will auto start/stop turn these on if while in auto stop the temp change is enough to re-engage them?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I blame Google.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is interesting, no reason to not believe the OP.

But either way something that is not supposed to happen, had to happen.

If the remote start started the vehicle, then it would require the user to depress the brake and press the start button. As folks have described the vehicle and other functions will not work, I often forget I remote started the vehicle and try to use functions and be like WTF. The OP said he did not have to push the button.

If the vehicle was running and auto start turned it off and the OP didn't notice. Then the system turned back on the steering wheel heater and seat heaters which it shouldn't have done. OP is confident these were off.

Weird, will be interested if this can be recreated. I don't have the wheel heater or seat heaters, will auto start/stop turn these on if while in auto stop the temp change is enough to re-engage them?
If the heat and wheel heat are on and you pull up to a light and the engine shuts down, the wheel and seat heat remain on. Everything remains on that was on when it shuts off. When you let off the brake, the engine starts and nothing changes otherwise.
IF you are stopped at a light long enough and the cabin temp falls below the setting you have it set to, the engine will restart to maintain that temp. If you are stopped long enough that the voltage to operate things gets below a certain point, it will restart to maintain things.
Auto shut off at a stop light/sign will only stay off as long as it can maintain things like cabin temp, or whatever. It restarts if it needs to keep voltage up, AC to cool, or heat to warm. As long as things stay at temperature chosen and voltage remains good, it will stay off. It won't shut anything off like seat or wheel heat - it figures you asked for them, it will keep them alive.

Seansmd

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiaator Rubicon 2020, 2018 Audi SQ5, 1967 Camaro RS/SS
Occupation
Tech
If the heat and wheel heat are on and you pull up to a light and the engine shuts down, the wheel and seat heat remain on. Everything remains on that was on when it shuts off. When you let off the brake, the engine starts and nothing changes otherwise.
IF you are stopped at a light long enough and the cabin temp falls below the setting you have it set to, the engine will restart to maintain that temp. If you are stopped long enough that the voltage to operate things gets below a certain point, it will restart to maintain things.
Auto shut off at a stop light/sign will only stay off as long as it can maintain things like cabin temp, or whatever. It restarts if it needs to keep voltage up, AC to cool, or heat to warm. As long as things stay at temperature chosen and voltage remains good, it will stay off. It won't shut anything off like seat or wheel heat - it figures you asked for them, it will keep them alive.
I only mention this as I do notice the main heat and AC do shut down, but they resume where they left off and do not change settings.

Sponsored

Rubicon Bob

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Rubi, 17 Grand Cherokee, 2020 GCM LE Gladiator
Many moons ago (30+ years), I use to live next to Chicagolands biggest grocery store distrivution warehouses. On occassion, I could hear the truckers talking on their radios through my stereo speakers. The only problem with that was the stereo was turned off. Now I work with electronics and some strange things still happen with them. Even though there are safety systems in place. Since OP had this happen at a truck stop, it could possibly be due to radio interference. Doesn't seem likely in this day and age, but it can still happen. Especially considering some of those radios are very high powered.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Many moons ago (30+ years), I use to live next to Chicagolands biggest grocery store distrivution warehouses. On occassion, I could hear the truckers talking on their radios through my stereo speakers. The only problem with that was the stereo was turned off. Now I work with electronics and some strange things still happen with them. Even though there are safety systems in place. Since OP had this happen at a truck stop, it could possibly be due to radio interference. Does seem likely in this day and age, but it can still happen. Especially considering some of those radios are very high powered.
That's an interesting take. Strange things can happen with high-powered CB and HAM.

It could be the ghost of Tesla (the man, not the car)

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Many moons ago (30+ years), I use to live next to Chicagolands biggest grocery store distrivution warehouses. On occassion, I could hear the truckers talking on their radios through my stereo speakers. The only problem with that was the stereo was turned off. Now I work with electronics and some strange things still happen with them. Even though there are safety systems in place. Since OP had this happen at a truck stop, it could possibly be due to radio interference. Doesn't seem likely in this day and age, but it can still happen. Especially considering some of those radios are very high powered.
Frequency interference is one thing. Executing a vehicles startup sequence is another. The brake pedal being pressed, is a physical action that must be performed in the vehicle and is not something that can happen remotely or be simulated.

What seems to be getting missed is, remote starting is an electronic transaction. Transmitter sends (unique) code and command, receiver confirms (unique) code and acknowledges command sending confirmation. Obviously it would be more sophisticated than that. That is just for remote start, at that point the vehicle still is not ready for take off.

However in the OPs scenario there was no transmitters to A) Identify the correct vehicle B) tell the vehicle to start and C) finish the sequence by stepping on the brake pedal and pushing the start button.

The odds are MUCH MUCH greater that the OP left the vehicle on (human error), versus the vehicle's startup protocol (making the vehicle fully drive-able) being executed, without ANY action. Especially given that the security, safety, and in vehicle (physical) protocols would ALL have to have been overridden and I give that a 99.9% chance of happening.

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There was another thread out there with this exact same situation, and I don't think the owner ever repeated the issue.
If when you got into the Jeep it was in the remote start mode, having to press the START button to activate all the gauges and shifter, then it sounds like the Jeep did in fact remote start. And yes, it will automictically lock the doors even before it starts the Jeep.

Either you inadvertently hit the remote start button instead of the lock button or the system malfunctioned.

On my JK you had to hit the lock button 3 times to activate the Remote start. I started the Jeep at least 3 times by accident by hitting the button too many times.

Came out of the store one time and the Jeep was locked and running...

Might note on the Gladiator, if you remote start it and don't complete the process, it will turn itself off...I think it's 5 or 10 minutes time frame. Not sure, but I know it will shut off the engine.. I had this happen to me when I waited too long to get in the Jeep.

Aero_JT

First Name
Bosco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2011 Acadia SLT AWD, 1997 Saab 9000 Aero
It does sound a bit like getting remote start accidentally (heated seats and steering wheel were on).

However, it does sound more than that because in the OP's other message (post #5) the JT was "ready to go" ("I just put it in gear and drove off").

This sounds like remote start has been triggered, and the start button being pressed after the key fob signal was detected inside the car.

I'm wondering if it might have been an attempted thief, similar to this post in NBC (a few years back actually):

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna693036

Thoughts?
Sponsored