Sponsored

Gladiator as a Collectible

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I actually think these may be desireable trucks down the line that may be worth a bit more than say; a Ford Ranger from the same era. Not collectible in the same way as a one-off, numbers matching, muscle car but more in the way of say FJ-Cruisers, or Full Size Broncos. But it will depend on many factors, most of which are now unforseen. The FJ Cruisers always had a good re-sale value, but the used prices jumped when the model was discontinued in the States and it continues to climb. The Full Size Bronco never got much love until the prices of the original Bronco hit the stratosphere and Ford announced a new model was coming. They're worth a good bit more now than they were just 5 years ago despite ending production in '96.

We all know cars are a bad investment, even many which are already collectible, but I don't think that was quite the OP's point.
Sponsored

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Being the old timer that I am, I believe they will be worth more than you purchased them for years from now, more so if they discontinue the model in a few years. Who knew a Ford Falcon would be worth anything back when it first came out? They were considered junk along with many more models. I say save your factory parts if doing mods, it's the original factory model that commands the most money. Old Jeeps in their old original form are always eye catchers. I am going to pass mine along to my son

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
They will bottom in value at 15-20 years old and then flatten or go up, depending on how they're viewed then. I don't think they will ever get back to msrp, let alone exceed it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
It's a good and often-asked question. A lot off people try try to predict what cars and trucks will be worth money in the future. Almost nobody ever gets it right. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. Ford made many thousands of those cars, but the big block, 4-speed examples in nice condition currently SELL for around $100,000. In the early 70s, you couldn't give those cars away because they used so much gas. In the 1980s you could pick one up for several thousand.

It's a matter of luck. I met a local, old-timer who did some body work on my Mustang. He bought a Shelby Cobra back when nobody wanted those cars. He bought his Cobra to race it and had no illusions about it being an investment. He eventually sold that car and made so much money it allowed him to retire. (The 427 "R" examples can literally fetch over a million dollars. But as posted above, it still may not make money for the owner.)

When the Challenger Hellcats first came out, a lot of people were buying them expecting them to be collectors items. They paid WAY over MSRP and stashed them away. Then Chrysler started cranking them out by the thousands and, guess what, used examples aren't going up in value.

A friend of mine bought a brand new, 2011 Shelby GT 500. At first, he drove the car and really enjoyed it. Then some guys on a Shelby forum told him he was crazy for driving his car and that he should park it and wait for the value to go up. My friend parked his Shelby, but here again, Ford cranked out thousands of those cars and now you can buy one at CarMax for $20,000 less than they were new.

However, proving you never know what's going to take off, consider first generation Ford Broncos. Prices for those have absolutely skyrocketed over the past few years. Nobody saw that coming. Even the later, 1970s Broncos are now expensive. Ford cranked out many, many thousands of those vehicles. Who knew?

So, will the Gladiator ever become a collectors item? It's unlikely, but sure, it's possible. Someday there may an interest in these trucks and there will be only so many left. If that happens, prices will go up.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It's a good and often-asked question. A lot off people try try to predict what cars and trucks will be worth money in the future. Almost nobody ever gets it right. I have a 1970 Mustang Mach 1. Ford made many thousands of those cars, but the big block, 4-speed examples in nice condition currently SELL for around $100,000. In the early 70s, you couldn't give those cars away because they used so much gas. In the 1980s you could pick one up for several thousand.

1960's and early 1970's muscle car era was series of event that will never be repeated to bring on the same nostalgia in 30 years of what is being made today to have the same panache of collectability.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Even the LE's, at over 4000, were produced in too high of numbers to really be collectible, especially as the only unique part on them is the badge.
...and a leather dash

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...and a leather dash
Overlands have a leather dash... Only difference is the stitching. I don't think an overland leather dash with some red stitching, not masking the optional rubi wheels and a badge will make it all that collectible, but who knows? It'll be 20-30 years before we find out.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Overlands have a leather dash
of course they do; my point was that the LE is the only Rubicon to get a leather dash. That, the wheels and the emblem is all that sets them apart. It's really too bad that the LEs weren't delivered first.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
They will bottom in value at 15-20 years old and then flatten or go up, depending on how they're viewed then. I don't think they will ever get back to msrp, let alone exceed it.
It just depends on the age. 20 years is nothing. Go back a little further, a VW cost 1500 in the 60s and they were on every street back then. Try to buy a 60s model VW bug now for 1500. Add to that, the value of the dollar 50 years from now and 50k for a gladiator will probably seem cheap as 3k for a brand-new 60s Ford Galaxy for us today.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950s, 1960s and even early 1970s pickup trucks are now highly collectible. People go bonkers over those trucks. Sure, Ford, GM and Chrysler built many thousands, but there aren't that many around today since they tended to be used and abused. So, in 30+ years if people start taking a liking to the first gen Jeep Gladiator, likely there won't be enough to go around because we owners hauled, towed and 4-wheeled them into the ground as intended.

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just depends on the age. 20 years is nothing. Go back a little further, a VW cost 1500 in the 60s and they were on every street back then. Try to buy a 60s model VW bug now for 1500. Add to that, the value of the dollar 50 years from now and 50k for a gladiator will probably seem cheap as 3k for a brand-new 60s Ford Galaxy for us today.
That's another good example. I don't think anybody envisioned the VW bug as a future collector car. The very early examples now sell for STUPID money. Same for the Microbus with all the windows in the roof. Crazy prices!

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I mean for collectibility to matter it has to kind of be within our lifetime unless we're talking about our kids or grandkids, so 50 years from now I'm betting the majority of us will be in our 80's and 90's, if we make it that far, and likely unable to climb into them. 20-30 years from now we may still be able to enjoy them or give them to our kids and have them enjoy them (or sell and make some money). I just don't see it happening with these, unfortunately, unless there's some kind of collectibility boom of the last of the gas engined vehicles.

ShadRak

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Maybe in 50-60 years, but a lot of us will be dead by then.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Maybe in 50-60 years, but a lot of us will be dead by then.
I will be for sure since I was around admiring the mustangs, Camaros, and sting Ray's of the 60s as a kid, but I hope to pass on my gladiator to my son. The Jeep (not all models) is an iconic vehicle from America, it's grill and style remain unchanged (somewhat) for a reason. To answer the original post though, yes this truck will become a collector, maybe not in 20 years, but it will.
Sponsored