Sponsored

Why a Gladiator (JT) and not a Wrangler (JL)?

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Man....... there’s a lot of angry sounding posts here! Come on, the JLU works out better for some, the JT for others. Simple as that. One is almost always going to be better than the other for a given task. Geez.....
Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Man....... there’s a lot of angry sounding posts here! Come on, the JLU works out better for some, the JT for others. Simple as that. One is almost always going to be better than the other for a given task. Geez.....
yep yep, The Jeep Judgers are out there. But when you think about the vast differences between the 2 dr Wrangler and the JT, it begins to make a bit of sense. This truck forum makes for some butting of heads between truck type people and wheelers. Different mind sets, and some of the wheelers are not used to thinking of the JL platform being used for non-wheeling purposes.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
yep yep, The Jeep Judgers are out there. But when you think about the vast differences between the 2 dr Wrangler and the JT, it begins to make a bit of sense. This truck forum makes for some butting of heads between truck type people and wheelers. Different mind sets, and some of the wheelers are not used to thinking of the JL platform being used for non-wheeling purposes.
For some of us, this isnt a second or third car, this is the only vehicle in the family.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
For some of us, this isnt a second or third car, this is the only vehicle in the family.
It's an excellent vehicle that does several things well, for sure. Generally speaking, I like compromises and options. Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing here . . . :)

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
So speaking from experience as I traded in an identical JLUR on my JTR after driving it for a year - the JTR has 300lbs more payload, double the tow rating and can handle larger objects. For example, I can fit my family of 4's bikes in the bed of the truck with the tailgate up where there was no chance of that happening in the JLUR. You can also carry a lot of cargo without impacting rear visibility. The JLUR was marginally better off-road, handled better and despite being a little harsher, actually rode a little better. The JTR is too soft, so it oscillates over bumps where the JLUR didn't. The JTR is a little quieter inside, JLUR had a better stereo (both equipped with 8.4 + Alpine) and got 1mpg better gas mileage. I had zero issues with my JLUR in the year and 26k miles I had it for, the JTR is on it's 2nd transmission and had a valve cover replaced in the 8 months and 17k miles I've put on it.

Overall the JTR is a much more versatile vehicle, I had to use my utility trailer fairly often with my JLUR but haven't needed it with the JTR. It also tows my airstream legally (though not really any better).

Last edited:

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's an excellent vehicle that does several things well, for sure. Generally speaking, I like compromises and options. Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing here . . . :)
I think he might be agreeing - he likely can't afford a full-blown large truck AND a smaller vehicle as a daily driver, or a car AND a trailer, or whatever combination.
The JT isn't perfect as a truck if you are hauling huge heavy stuff, but for a lot of typical haulers - it'll be fine.
It's small enough to take to a shopping center and easily park it. Sure-footed enough to back a lot of boats into the lake and get them out again - and do so nimbly and quickly as they turn on a dime (compared to my last two trucks, anyway)
Can you take a couple beef steers to the state fair in a livestock trailer (hmmmmm, maybe I'd better think about that, maybe it could....) well, anyway....... my wife and I keep going back and forth - I have my Dad's WJ I bought to use as a daily driver - nimble, sure-footed, can haul some stuff in the back, will pull a fair trailer, and mileage isn't horrible (18.xx at times) and it meant in winter I didn't have to take my big long wide Chevy truck anywhere I went. I have my other cars in the summer and good weather, the WJ for winter and bad weather.
But with the JT - do I actually NEED the WJ, or am I keeping it because it belonged to Dad?
I could get by with the JT as a daily driver do-it-all vehicle and do it nicely - but I'd be giving up my insurance discount for annual mileage under 7500 miles if I used it as my D-D. Splitting the miles over the other vehicles meant no one vehicle saw over 6,000 miles a year roughly, saving a ton on insurance - ah, but before anyone comments - I could knock off a whole vehicle, maybe making up for the extra cost of miles over 7500.......
I hate DECISIONS. I suck at it, I really do.

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
I have both, so.. :clap:

81602671_10221614719540974_605857282298740736_n.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SVP/CISO
And look - he's even taunting the Chevy dealer across the street!
In all seriousness though, its unreal how different and unique the JL is from the JT. Handling, interior space, the overall "weight" feel of the JL.

To me, at least - the JL feels so much heavier and roomier than the JT. Cargo space is about the same between the two, but I'm not dropping Elk into the JL, so that's where the JT will shine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In all seriousness though, its unreal how different and unique the JL is from the JT. Handling, interior space, the overall "weight" feel of the JL.

To me, at least - the JL feels so much heavier and roomier than the JT. Cargo space is about the same between the two, but I'm not dropping Elk into the JL, so that's where the JT will shine.
Don't you imagine it's the open space behind the seats that helps it feel bigger? I know with my WJ and Barbara's Grand Cherokee, those feel big because the passenger space is wide open - it's not cut off right back of the seating area.
I'm just wondering as I don't have the pleasure of having any of the Wrangler line or even similar. We've always - for decades, been Cherokee and Grand Cherokee people until now. Maybe my brother's Jeep when he had it made me think of the other products.
But I saw the JT in a showroom, and that was that. I'm going to have one, and I made it happen.

Sponsored

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SVP/CISO
Don't you imagine it's the open space behind the seats that helps it feel bigger? I know with my WJ and Barbara's Grand Cherokee, those feel big because the passenger space is wide open - it's not cut off right back of the seating area.
I'm just wondering as I don't have the pleasure of having any of the Wrangler line or even similar. We've always - for decades, been Cherokee and Grand Cherokee people until now. Maybe my brother's Jeep when he had it made me think of the other products.
But I saw the JT in a showroom, and that was that. I'm going to have one, and I made it happen.
No, the actual front seats just feel wider apart. I am absolutely certain they're the same seats, but in the JL, I'm not rubbing butt against the center console or the passenger seat. JL=King bed, JT=Twin bed.. Dunno how to better describe it for seating/space.:whew:

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Yah, learned that too. My wife's yarn and crochet stuff is like that. I can't say I am opposed to sleeping with the cats, though I'll fall asleep in my chair and the fuzzy bastards are trying to kill me by sleeping on my face.
Lol!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, the actual front seats just feel wider apart. I am absolutely certain they're the same seats, but in the JL, I'm not rubbing butt against the center console or the passenger seat. JL=King bed, JT=Twin bed.. Dunno how to better describe it for seating/space.:whew:
Well that's interesting as heck. When I'm at the dealer tomorrow with my JT about the bed cover - I'll have to ask to sit in a couple of their other Jeeps out there!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yah, learned that too. My wife's yarn and crochet stuff is like that. I can't say I am opposed to sleeping with the cats, though I'll fall asleep in my chair and the fuzzy bastards are trying to kill me by sleeping on my face.
The other night I had to slide one of the Tonks off my face so I could breathe, his brother and Yawnie were laying on my neck and chest.
A couple of years ago, 4 of them plotted my murder by tripping me - hoping to make it look like an accident. Yawnie refused to participate, he's my buddy.

The Tonks sit on their shelf and literally THROW things at me! No kidding. Walk into the bedroom and swish, a toy mouse goes flying by.

On the other hand, I see this other cat was determined to kill his human.

kittys-on-shelf.jpg
MG_1431_2.jpg
shiny.png
sniper-kitty.jpg
Sponsored