Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ok, I get it, good point....
Note: I keep four 5 gallon gas cans in my back yard. When they get full of used oil, I take them to Pep Boys or Autozone to dump them for free. Sometimes, they will only take one of the 5 gallon cans, other times 2 or 3. So, I may have to drive around to a couple of them.
I have a bunch of cars, so, I am always changing the oil.
Well considering....hauling containers of used oil will be A LOT easier in a JT than in my 2dr JK....I might go back to doing my own. That said, I live at least 30-40min from the closest Autozone that takes oil. About 5 or so years ago...there were oil drop off "things" at various locations around here handled by the county...but then pretty much overnight they were all gone....and all that is left is a few Pepboys, Autozones that do it..with limitations...one close to me doesnt take used filters, etc. I think its some sorta conspiracy to get us to pay overpriced rates for oil changes. :)
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I get it, good point....
Note: I keep four 5 gallon gas cans in my back yard. When they get full of used oil, I take them to Pep Boys or Autozone to dump them for free. Sometimes, they will only take one of the 5 gallon cans, other times 2 or 3. So, I may have to drive around to a couple of them.
I have a bunch of cars, so, I am always changing the oil.
I sold one of mine otherwise I was changing oil in three cars multiple times a year (even if I don't drive them, I don't like the oil sitting over winter with the contaminates and such) and there are places that will take it for free, so I save my parts washer solvent buckets or large jugs.
If I get it changed free - like with the wave, for 2 years, let 'em do it, mileage doesn't matter, you get two free changes a year for two years is my understanding.
I'll eventually standardize and use the same oil in it I do my other cars and such.
As others, I won't go 10K in the first change. Modern filters will hold many times what they used to with the synthetic materials vs the old paper style, but still................
2,000 or less on the Javelin, depending on conditions, season, etc.
3,000-3,500 on the Eagle since it's a 4.0 injected engine, again, depending on driving, season, conditions, etc.
I doubt I'll go full 10 on the JT even on subsequent changes. I'm still a tad old-school on some things. It will depend on my driving conditions, seasons, types of driving......

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I changed mine at 5085 miles, with 44% oil life reading on the display. I used my free Wave oil change at the dealership.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I'm changing my oil and rotating every 5k, no matter if it's free or I have to do it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
A few points about motor oil which may help you decide what you want to run in your JT:

- Multi-grade motor oils contain additives which make them a multi-grade

- If the oil is "5W-20" for example, the first number represents the PROTECTION when cold and the second number represents the PROTECTION at operating temperature. Thus, in this example, when you start your cold JT engine, the oil provides the protection of a 5-weight motor oil. Once the engine is at operating temperature, the same oil provides the protection of a 20-weight motor oil.

- The larger the span between the numbers, the more additives are required. Thus, a 0W-40 motor oil will have more additives than a 10W-30 motor oil.

- The more the additives, the shorter the lifespan of those additives. Thus, a 0-W40 motor oil won't last as long as a 10W-30 motor oil. Exactly how long the oil lasts varies greatly depending on how the engine is driven and in what conditions. But here in the 21st century, you should get at least 7,500 miles between changes unless you're doing something really extreme. For most drivers, a modern synthetic motor oil will be fine for 10,000 miles.

- The reality is today's motor oils are pretty amazing. The old adage about changing oil every 3,000 miles comes from the mid-20th century. So, if you just bought a brand new 1957 Fairlane, that engine didn't run nearly as clean as a modern engine and the oil wasn't nearly as good. So, to keep the engine clean and running well, you had to change it every 3,000 miles.

- Changing the oil every 3,000 miles for a modern engine certainly won't hurt it, but it's far from necessary. The only negatives would be additional cost and more used oil on the planet.

- Many people like changing the oil in a brand new engine after 1,000 miles to "get out any metal shavings". This is a good idea if you just rebuilt a small bock Chevy, but I'm not sure it's necessary for a modern engine. As I see it, if the engine in my JT really needed an oil change at 1,000 miles, you can bet the manufacturer would demand it to maintain the warranty. But again, it certainly won't hurt anything.

- And, as always, "Your Mileage May Vary".

Sponsored

SeanKenmore

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Biotech
If I owned mine I'd do one at 1k miles like I usually do. I leased this one because of the deal I got and this is a very different vehicle from what I normally go for, so I'm just going to wait until it tells me to, at that point I may still end up doing the oil change myself just because I'd rather pay 50 bucks for the supplies and do it myself than spend an afternoon at the dealership for a 16 year old to do it.

I changed oil at a Honda dealer in college, that altered my perception drastically. I had never worked on a car before and was changing oil within an hour of starting. I have very little trust for dealership maintenance areas after the things I saw occur.
I am planning to do the same, change my Jeep Gladiator Mojave oil by myself at 1K or so just to get rid of all that ends up in the oil because of breakin. I will use Jeep Wave oil changes for next 4 oil changes over next 2 years.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
With the Jeep wave program you get 4 oil changes in 2 years (except californians). So that is one change every 5000 miles. My Jeep dealer said they use full synthetic, so it cant hurt to go at least every 5000 miles, doesnt cost you anything
New ones come with 3 oil changes but you now have 3 years to use them.

Yoshi

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LE
I’m glad to find that I’m not the only one who is a little freaked out about a 10,000 mi oil change. I stared at the service Scheduale of my Gladiator I just bought and thought maybe there was a different oil change scheduale or something lol. Thanks for the info.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
These aren't your father's engines, it's not your father's or grandfathers oils.
Even since the 1990s lube technology has improved by leaps and bounds. The chemistry today is superior to anything from before the year 2000. The protection capabilities are crazy high in GOOD quality oils now (there's still cheap crap out there of course)
Filters are far better, engines are sealed a lot better and burn the fuel far more efficiently than ever. These engines run at or near stoich A/F ratio than ever before. That means less hydrocarbons in the crankcase, less contamination, less acid formation.........

The 10K is ideal driving conditions - few short drives, engine always warmed up to operating temperature for a period of time, ordinary atmospheric conditions (normal air, not AZ dust storms) and so on. Loading it by towing, hauling heavy loads, a lot more town driving, not always getting it up to operating temperatures, other extremes - all shorten the oil change interval.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Way too paranoid about any dealer doing nothing/screwing up and I'm a low mileage driver (~4000/year), so I just change it myself annually. Wish there was a way I could donate/transfer my Waves to someone else.
Sponsored