Sponsored

Flat tow baseplate, factory steel bumper and a winch installed.

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have been doing some research about tow baseplates and the factory steel bumper with a winch installed. I had planned to use a Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Jeep/Gladiator/2020/RM-521453-5.html?VehicleID=202098718

Come to find out that with a winch installed in the bumper you cannot use any baseplate from any manufacturer. Has anyone here had luck installing a baseplate system with a winch installed in the factory steel bumper??
Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I have been doing some research about tow baseplates and the factory steel bumper with a winch installed. I had planned to use a Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Jeep/Gladiator/2020/RM-521453-5.html?VehicleID=202098718

Come to find out that with a winch installed in the bumper you cannot use any baseplate from any manufacturer. Has anyone here had luck installing a baseplate system with a winch installed in the factory steel bumper??
It looks to me like the Blue Ox baseplate would use the same mounting locations as the Mopar Winch Mount Plate. It seems to me that with some cutting and welding of the winch plate and longer grade 8 bolts, it could be made to work. As far as the engineering is concerned, I’d like to hear from the ENGINEERS about the pros and cons of that install.

OP
OP
N6WT

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It looks to me like the Blue Ox baseplate would use the same mounting locations as the Mopar Winch Mount Plate. It seems to me that with some cutting and welding of the winch plate and longer grade 8 bolts, it could be made to work. As far as the engineering is concerned, I’d like to hear from the ENGINEERS about the pros and cons of that install.
I need to get under the Gladiator and look. I think I could use longer bolts.

On my TJ I tow with the towbar attached to the welded eyelets on an aftermarket bumper. I emailed Warn about their Elite Series Full Width Front Bumper as far as towing with the welded eyelets. Their response was it is not rated for that. I think it should be fine.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I need to get under the Gladiator and look. I think I could use longer bolts.

On my TJ I tow with the towbar attached to the welded eyelets on an aftermarket bumper. I emailed Warn about their Elite Series Full Width Front Bumper as far as towing with the welded eyelets. Their response was it is not rated for that. I think it should be fine.
If I were to guess, I’d bet the width of the Blue Ox Baseplate and the Mopar winch plate are the same. Someone needs to be the guinea pig to buy the parts and check it out! Any volunteers?

OP
OP
N6WT

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I just asked etrailer.com about the Blue Ox Baseplate. let's see what they say.

Sponsored

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Went to my local 4x4 shop and he suggested just welding some structure to the frame and install a 2” receiver behind the factory cover plate. He will then wire it up to use either the front or rear receiver. I will purchase the cradle and winch.

Still trying to get a price for engineering, fabrication and installation of the receiver from my 4x4 shop. Will post more info when available.

Last edited:

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
OP
OP
N6WT

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What did you find out?
I will not fit with the Warn winch plate installed!

I've decided to go with an aftermarket front bumper that has a place to attach the tow bar.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I decided to install a front mounted 2” hitch receiver welded to the frame using a old truck hitch I have in the garage. Blue Ox Flat Tow Baseplate will not interfere.

Luckyguy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired
I will not fit with the Warn winch plate installed!

I've decided to go with an aftermarket front bumper that has a place to attach the tow bar.
Can you share which aftermarket bumper you are planning to use? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
N6WT

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Dmcgee

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 RAM
Occupation
Retired
I went with a Metal Cloak Frame Built bumper.

It was way easier to install than the factory bumper with an aftermarket winch plate. The JT tows great behind the motorhome with it!

https://metalcloak.com/frame-built-bumper-2400-jl-wrangler.html

Jeep Gladiator Flat tow baseplate, factory steel bumper and a winch installed. IMG_20210729_161459467_HDR
I'm in the process of fitting out a new JT and was wondering about what I needed to be compatible with my current tow set up.
your bumper looks good .. currently I'm running a blue ox base plate on my old JK with the tow bar. I take it in your setup here, you disconnect the D rings and attach the tow bar directly to to the bumper?

dan

OP
OP
N6WT

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm in the process of fitting out a new JT and was wondering about what I needed to be compatible with my current tow set up.
your bumper looks good .. currently I'm running a blue ox base plate on my old JK with the tow bar. I take it in your setup here, you disconnect the D rings and attach the tow bar directly to to the bumper?

dan
Dan

Yes, I just remove the D rings and attach the tow bar to the bumper.

It is very simple!

Kent
N6WT

Dmcgee

First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 RAM
Occupation
Retired
Dan

Yes, I just remove the D rings and attach the tow bar to the bumper.

It is very simple!

Kent
N6WT
Thanks Kent.... I'm curious about your specific bumper. I went to the website mentioned in your post and saw what appeared to be a bumper similar to yours. However it had a statement/ warning that it was not engineered or intended for flat towing. Was your bumper a special order or something not normally offered?

Dan

OP
OP
N6WT

N6WT

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Kent.... I'm curious about your specific bumper. I went to the website mentioned in your post and saw what appeared to be a bumper similar to yours. However it had a statement/ warning that it was not engineered or intended for flat towing. Was your bumper a special order or something not normally offered?

Dan
Dan

That is the first I have seen of that warning. I don't think it was there when I purchased it. I have been towing my TJ with the shackle mounts for many years so I would not worry about that. I just make sure the bolts for the bumper are tight.

Come to think about it, I think it even said it was suitable for towing on the website. Something must have happened.
Sponsored