Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
IMG_20200115_174907.jpg
this is what he sent and the email that processed them.

Hi Oscar,
I'm very sorry that you are having an issue. We are sending new tape today. I'm attaching some videos that will help.
If you have any questions please let me know.
regards,
Mark
Hothead Headliners
Remove & Replace 3M tape:

Prepping your hard top:

Cold Weather install:
Sponsored

Steppenwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX 350; 2016 Hellcat Challenger; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon.
mopar headliners are done at the factory in what I would assume is a climate controlled atmosphere. It’s not old weaker stuff vs new stuff. It’s 3M VHB brand and sometimes with cold weather it doesn’t have the ability to bond the way it should. Adhesives should be warm to help the bonding process. Mopar has had significant time to bond. I wouldn’t dream to call hothead expensive. It’s cheaper than the Mopar option, comes in different colors, and overwhelmingly has not had issues with adhesive on the majority of applications.

That, plus their customer service is A1. If you’re concerned, you could always ask them to send some extra VHB and I’m sure they’d oblige. Otherwise you can buy a roll for cheap on amazon.
That being said, I did my fronts indoors and my rear top in 40 degree weather and they held up fine. I followed their directions to a tee for cold weather install.
I suppose I could order them now anyway, but just wait til the spring or early summer for warmer temps to attach them. The highs here this week will barely hit 20-degs.

Maybe, when ordering, I can specify wanting the 'big boy' adhesive sent along so I don't have to chase it down later under warranty, ... you know, after a panel suddenly dislodges and hits my face and hair at a critical moment while off-roading. ;)

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I suppose I could order them now anyway, but just wait til the spring or early summer for warmer temps to attach them. The highs here this week will barely hit 20-degs.

Maybe, when ordering, I can specify wanting the 'big boy' adhesive sent along so I don't have to chase it down later under warranty, ... you know, after a panel suddenly dislodges and hits my face and hair at a critical moment while off-roading. ;)
yea I think you’ll be happy with them overall. If you have a heat gun (or blow dryer), you could just heat up the adhesive on the headliners before attaching them. Seen people do that as well.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
yea I think you’ll be happy with them overall. If you have a heat gun (or blow dryer), you could just heat up the adhesive on the headliners before attaching them. Seen people do that as well.
I'm in a similar boat, want to buy the headliner but not likely to install until Spring, and I also would like the "big boy" adhesive by default. Maybe Hothead could answer that question, are they automatically shipping with the better adhesive?

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I'm in a similar boat, want to buy the headliner but not likely to install until Spring, and I also would like the "big boy" adhesive by default. Maybe Hothead could answer that question, are they automatically shipping with the better adhesive?
@Hothead Headliners added to this conversation for maybe some clarity? I was under the assumption it was the same VHB just replacement

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
So I reinstalled my falling rear panels last night.
Heat gunned the top a bit so it was warm to touch and then I used a lot of heat on adhesive. MAKES A HUGE difference in the tackiness of that stuff to be warm. Panels when up nice and easy.

HIGHLY recommend a heat gun when applying regardless of ambient temp.

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

Well, if I ordered them today, would they come with the new adhesive or the old weaker stuff? I'd want to install it right the first time.

No reports of the MOPAR headliners falling off, not that I've seen anyway.
I have the Mopar units and have the one on the passenger side freedom top come loose on the inner section. Dealership said that they will cover under warranty on my first service

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
I’ve had mine for about 3 months now and I park outside in the Vegas heat everyday and mine are holding up just fine.

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Had a set on a JLUR for a couple years. Zero issues.

Surface prep is key. And the right temp/humidity.

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
Mine are holding up. I live in Palm Springs where its 110 plus during the summer. As mentioned before, surface prep is key.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I installed mine over a year ago and no issues

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up my new Gladiator from Kent in Idaho, and he warned me that Hothead Headliners (while awesome and the best sound reduction out there) are having an adhesive problem. He's had multiple customers whose Headliners have fallen off, and the company has had to send stronger adhesive out for all pieces (top, sides, and sound assassin strips). He warned me to contact them and make sure they sent the stronger adhesive with my order.

Anyone else seen this issue? Given that Las Vegas will hit 115F this summer, that's definitely a concern for me
Hot heads is literally 10.9 miles from Peterson.. I am local as well. We get nearly as hot here as well (I am a Vegas native relocated to Idaho in 04). As others have said its about the prep. I installed mine a few months ago & I have one coming loose, but its an installation error & I know it. I didn't get it completely centered so one side had the headliner working against the adhesive & that's where its loose at. I wouldn't hesitate at all to use them in Vegas. We get triple digits every summer so hot heads is aware of how to deal with the heat.

Also @Hothead Headliners is here on the forum so they may be able to also give input.

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
I emailed them about my issue...hopefully they will respond soon!
Sponsored