Sponsored

Dry intake Vs oil intake

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
So, I am contemplating adding an intake more specifically the one from :

https://www.quadratec.com/p/afe-pow...ard-7-cold-air-intake-system-jeep-wrangler-jl

Vs

https://www.quadratec.com/p/afe-power/momentum-gt-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system-jeep-wrangler-jl

Does anyone have experience of these aFe intakes or maybe educate me on the differences between dry and oil intakes? The only thing I know is that the oiled intakes provide longer term filtration and need to be cleaned periodically?

Should I choose one over the other for any specific reason? Or none at all ? LOL

Thanks!
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Oiled protects engine better, but needs periodic cleaning and can contaminate the MAF sensor leading to poor performance.

Dry doesn't protect quite as well, but doesn't require maintenance and flows more air.

I like the dry filters but personally I'm sticking with OE for its superior protection from water intrusion.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So, I am contemplating adding an intake more specifically the one from :

https://www.quadratec.com/p/afe-pow...ard-7-cold-air-intake-system-jeep-wrangler-jl

Vs

https://www.quadratec.com/p/afe-power/momentum-gt-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system-jeep-wrangler-jl

Does anyone have experience of these aFe intakes or maybe educate me on the differences between dry and oil intakes? The only thing I know is that the oiled intakes provide longer term filtration and need to be cleaned periodically?

Should I choose one over the other for any specific reason? Or none at all ? LOL

Thanks!
Save your money for something else. Every thread I've read indicates these offer no advantage, and allow more dirt into the engine. If you really feel the need, get the one available from Mopar, so there's less potential for warranty hassle later on.

There's also a tube that runs from the front grille under the factory air box that delivers airflow to the intake. The design of these looks like it may cut off access to that air.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Based on my past experience...I would use the $$ for something more useful.

IMO these are pretty much snake oil.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Oiled protects engine better, but needs periodic cleaning and can contaminate the MAF sensor leading to poor performance.

Dry doesn't protect quite as well, but doesn't require maintenance and flows more air.

Think you got this backward. Dry filters flow less but filter more. The AFE ones are ver efficent either way. https://afepower.com/product-catalogs/air-filters but when compared to a K&N the AFE is a way better option.

PRO DRY S AIR FILTER – MAXIMUM CONVENIENCE
  • Primary Benefit: CONVENIENCE, Pro DRY S oil-free, dry synthetic filtration media is the world’s easiest-to-service performance air filter media requiring no oils to clean the filter because there is no oil to be removed, cleaned and reapplied.
  • Filtration Efficiency: 99.2% Pro DRY S oil-free, dry synthetic media combines excellent filtration efficiency with easy-to-clean convenience.
  • Driving Conditions: STREET/DUSTY, Pro DRY S will provide extended filter life in normal, everyday driving conditions; in dry, dusty conditions Pro DRY S is an excellent choice for ease of maintenance.

PRO 5R AIR FILTER – MAXIMUM FLOW (OILED)
  • Primary Benefit: PERFORMANCE, Pro 5R provides your engine with the largest amount of high-flowing cold air, giving you the greatest horsepower and torque gains.
  • Filtration Efficiency: 98.6% with filtration efficiency levels in the high 98% range, Pro 5R outperforms other cotton gauze media on the market.
  • Driving Conditions: STREET, Pro 5R exceeds the standard protection for average everyday driving.

I have been running AFE dry for years and love them. As soon as I need a new filter I'll grab one for the gladiator too. In my Jeep I never see wide-open throttle long enough to justify the need for more air but I do spend a lot of time on dusty trails. The Dry S filter is the better application for the Jeep IMO

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us have run oiled air filters for years, some paper, some like me, back and forth - finally settling on paper.

The oiled air filters let more dirt in. What a pain.
Want more air - use a LARGER filter.
If you compare filters of the exact same surface area, the oiled, more open filters will flow more. But you can't always directly compare. Number of pleats, depth of pleats.
I found out the hard way - a rather expensive lesson - the oiled filters let water in by the gallon.
My Javelin was out when a very unexpected rain - even unexpected by meteorologists - came up. 5" worth.
My engine was hydro-locked. I had to pull all the plugs and spin it to get the water out.
Multiple oil and filter changes - 3 of them at about 50-60 bucks a pop because of the high-end oil filters and expensive oil i use.
A paper filter may not have stopped the rain from getting in - but it would have cut the amount in a big way.
But in the end, things worked out as the flushing saw my idle RPM climb by over 100 and I had to reset the carburetors.

I had one of the K&N filters on my 4.0 but after seeing the dirt in the intake tube, went out and found an air box that would fit and re-arranged my engine bay to put it in, and went paper. The tube stays cleaner now. (and it's quieter as those 4.0 liter engines make quite an intake noise when you wind them up under load.

Frankly, unless you spend a lot of time near red-line on these, at close to WOT, the paper filter isn't causing you issues.
They'll flow a whole lot - think of the air that a 401 takes in compared to these little 3.6 liter things. The proof that they aren't restrictive on these is in the fact that some of us run twice the engine on similar filter areas.
But if you want more - more pleats, deeper pleats, that will get more air through if you do mod your JT and run at 6,000 RPM a lot.

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Some of us have run oiled air filters for years, some paper, some like me, back and forth - finally settling on paper.

The oiled air filters let more dirt in. What a pain.
Want more air - use a LARGER filter.
If you compare filters of the exact same surface area, the oiled, more open filters will flow more. But you can't always directly compare. Number of pleats, depth of pleats.
I found out the hard way - a rather expensive lesson - the oiled filters let water in by the gallon.
My Javelin was out when a very unexpected rain - even unexpected by meteorologists - came up. 5" worth.
My engine was hydro-locked. I had to pull all the plugs and spin it to get the water out.
Multiple oil and filter changes - 3 of them at about 50-60 bucks a pop because of the high-end oil filters and expensive oil i use.
A paper filter may not have stopped the rain from getting in - but it would have cut the amount in a big way.
But in the end, things worked out as the flushing saw my idle RPM climb by over 100 and I had to reset the carburetors.

I had one of the K&N filters on my 4.0 but after seeing the dirt in the intake tube, went out and found an air box that would fit and re-arranged my engine bay to put it in, and went paper. The tube stays cleaner now. (and it's quieter as those 4.0 liter engines make quite an intake noise when you wind them up under load.

Frankly, unless you spend a lot of time near red-line on these, at close to WOT, the paper filter isn't causing you issues.
They'll flow a whole lot - think of the air that a 401 takes in compared to these little 3.6 liter things. The proof that they aren't restrictive on these is in the fact that some of us run twice the engine on similar filter areas.
But if you want more - more pleats, deeper pleats, that will get more air through if you do mod your JT and run at 6,000 RPM a lot.
Would adding a snorkel affect this? I mean would it be redundant to add a snorkel and add an after market or Mopar intake?

Sruss915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep wrangler
Not to derail this but arent our truck Map? Not MAF?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not to derail this but arent our truck Map? Not MAF?
Last I knew the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, etc. were MAP.
They do have a temp sensor in the intake.
I know the earlier engines such as 4.0 are MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor equipped.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Would adding a snorkel affect this? I mean would it be redundant to add a snorkel and add an after market or Mopar intake?
The best benefit of the snorkel is higher cleaner air. slow-moving in a dusty environment tends to allow a lot more dirt particles to circulate right where the factory intake is. Getting it up to the top of the windshield is great.

Sruss915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jeep wrangler
So to add to this i installed a river raider snorkel an then an afe 7r cone filter should i be worried about crap getting past it ?

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I wouldn't stress it. cleaner air up higher but the oiled filter may allow some oil past and into the tube. best way to check it. put some miles on the system and then open the intake tube and wipe a rag in there. if its oily and dirty scrap the filter. if it's mostly clean..... let it go
Sponsored