8.4" Does Not Recognize All Files on USB

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Hmmmm..... maybe I should format my iPod and re-add my songs and try again?
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I also have an I-Pod that has truck loads of songs on it. My stereo system had always worked perfectly with my I-Pod. Just had many problems with my I-Phone, no clue why, was very very frustrating, many headaches.
Hmmmm..... maybe I should format my iPod and re-add my songs and try again?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Maybe you need to make all the tunes "available offline". A while back Apple/iTunes changed things up so tunes were downloaded or streamed on demand instead of being copied onto the device. If that wasn't frustrating enough, the method to fix this had a clumsy UI. If I remember correctly you need to create a playlist, drag all the tunes to it and try to find the "make available offline" selection, then copy the playlist to the device.

I have a bunch of tunes in my library that aren't set to available offline, and when they come up to play on the JT you see the title for a second and it skips right past it.

On my '17 Ram the stereo would recognize only 10 titles on the USB stick even if there were more on it, regardless of offline status.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Not certain about your theory. All of my songs, playlists etc have always worked and played on my cell phone when off line. As an example when I go for a bike ride I have a Bluetooth speaker mounted on my bike. And my phone always plays flawlessly while I pedal away. For such rides I am always off line and just playing songs via Bluetooth.

Maybe you need to make all the tunes "available offline". A while back Apple/iTunes changed things up so tunes were downloaded or streamed on demand instead of being copied onto the device. If that wasn't frustrating enough, the method to fix this had a clumsy UI. If I remember correctly you need to create a playlist, drag all the tunes to it and try to find the "make available offline" selection, then copy the playlist to the device.

I have a bunch of tunes in my library that aren't set to available offline, and when they come up to play on the JT you see the title for a second and it skips right past it.

On my '17 Ram the stereo would recognize only 10 titles on the USB stick even if there were more on it, regardless of offline status.

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
So I formatted the iPod, re-synched my music- same thing happens. Some music that shows up on iPod does not show on the Jeep audio. There are also some albums that are there and when you click on them- they either just don’t play or it plays the incorrect song.
I had the iPod play missing albums while not connected, then connected it and they would play. But when you go back and search for it, it’s not there.
Very frustrating. This happens with 2 different iPods, both of which worked perfectly in my forerunner, so it’s not an iPod or iTunes issue. It’s on the Jeep end. #JeepCares

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Corrected message and adding in @JeepCares for you. Quote from @Snowdogyyz :

So I formatted the iPod, re-synched my music- same thing happens. Some music that shows up on iPod does not show on the Jeep audio. There are also some albums that are there and when you click on them- they either just don’t play or it plays the incorrect song.
I had the iPod play missing albums while not connected, then connected it and they would play. But when you go back and search for it, it’s not there.
Very frustrating. This happens with 2 different iPods, both of which worked perfectly in my forerunner, so it’s not an iPod or iTunes issue. It’s on the Jeep end. @JeepCares

end quote

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Update: I used a 32GB drive and I see the same kind of behavior on it and the 64 GB USB drive. Not all of the folders load (though different ones) and not all of the songs are there (about the same 2592). I get all 3922 songs when I Bluetooth my iPhone XR.

I briefly showed it to the dealer and he verified what I saw, though he didn't have any other guidance other than to schedule an appointment.

@JeepCares, any ideas?

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I haven’t talked to my dealer about this yet because I know what the response will be. Bring it in- oh we tried but there’s nothing wrong. Someone at Jeep who knows the software needs to step in and figure it out. As far as dealer is concerned- the system plays and works.

@JeepCares

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I used a 32GB drive and I see the same kind of behavior on it and the 64 GB USB drive. Not all of the folders load (though different ones) and not all of the songs are there (about the same 2592). I get all 3922 songs when I Bluetooth my iPhone XR.

I briefly showed it to the dealer and he verified what I saw, though he didn't have any other guidance other than to schedule an appointment.

@JeepCares, any ideas?
I would try it with a 16GB drive and see what happens. It could be an issue with the size of the drive, or it could be an issue with the number of files. It could be an issue with the characters in the folder names, but if it were that I would expect to always have the same folders not showing.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I would try it with a 16GB drive and see what happens. It could be an issue with the size of the drive, or it could be an issue with the number of files. It could be an issue with the characters in the folder names, but if it were that I would expect to always have the same folders not showing.
I put in an 8 GB drive, but I'm not really sure if it worked as that's only a third of the size of my music collection. Only folders A-D were visible in the Jeep (I'll compare with what Windows can see). Also, I noticed that hardly any of the album art loads - is there some special trick for that?

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Just to update- I got a new laptop and had to re-do iTunes and playlists. So I reformatted my 120 gB iPod, created an entirely new playlist for it, double checked all songs/albums to ensure proper labeling, tracks numbered, etc, and uploaded the new playlist to the iPod. Hooked it up to the Jeep this morning and...... same behavior. Some albums won’t play at all, some don’t show up (but show up and play directly from the iPod). When you select one album it plays an entirely different one. Some albums it alphabetizes the tracks despite having track numbers, etc. And some that aren’t working are different from before and it seems very random. When you select one album and it pays a different one- when you go to media view it shows the actual album that’s playing.

this thing is so messed up that it’s not even enjoyable. When I take it my dealer for service I’m going to mention it, but it has to be a software issue. Even the crappy Forerunner system would play a 160 gB iPod correctly!
Is there a way that @JeepCares can log these complaints with Jeep to try and get a firmware update/fix?

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I think the issue is the size of the USB stick, which is bad. I tried 128, 64, 32, 16 and 8 GB sticks. Only the 16 and 8 GB sticks worked correctly in that I could see all of the file folders and all of the songs inside. Anything larger than 16 GB, and although the files were there (if you put the stick in a laptop), some of the folders are missing. I even tried tricking the system, by splitting a 32 GB stick into 2x16 GB partitions. Although the stick was recognized, there were still folders missing on one of the partitions. @JeepCares, 16 GB is a bit small for 2020. I have 28.8 GB of songs and it's growing. Is there a fix coming that will take a 128 GB stick?

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
A workaround I’m using for now-
I ditched my iPod Classic and bought a 120 gb touch. When connected via cable, it still doesn’t show all songs or plays in the wrong order, etc (although there is way more than 16 gb of music showing).
So, I leave the cable connected to keep it charged but I connect the music with Bluetooth. It seems to play correctly and show all loaded music via Bluetooth. Not sure why it can read correctly this way versus a direct connection but I’m guessing the issue will never be addressed or fixed so this a way to work around it.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
So, I took mine to the dealer. They said that Jeep is aware of the issue and they're working on a fix, but it is not available yet.

3ec54673f4924d2e20c3b9ac2d5788f5.jpg

Attachments

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Thanks for the update!
Sponsored