Sponsored

Bumper Mount For Aux Lighting Besides Mopar?

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Are there other options besides the Mopar bumper mount light bracket (p/n 82215428) that are worth considering? I want to mount a pair of Baja Designs LP6 lights.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I mounted my BD LP6 lights directly to the steel bumper using existing bolts. It doesn't look like you have the steel bumper though. I don't know if your bumper would have bolts in the same location...probably not if it is the plastic bumper. Diode Dynamics makes brackets that mount to the frame, but they are for light bars only and you would have to make an adapter to give you a horizontal mounting point. Your only other option might be some type of frame-mounted bumper hoop. If you have the trail cam, the Mopar brackets should keep the lights from blocking it. If I remember right, one of the photos on the BD website showed the lights mounted exactly as I have mine mounted.

winched2.jpg

OP
OP
TYJ

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Looks good! Exactly where I want mine mounted. I guess I’ll just go with the Mopar mounts since the steel bumper will add $$$.

How do you like the LP6s? Any night photos?

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I mounted my BD LP6 lights directly to the steel bumper using existing bolts. It doesn't look like you have the steel bumper though. I don't know if your bumper would have bolts in the same location...probably not if it is the plastic bumper. Diode Dynamics makes brackets that mount to the frame, but they are for light bars only and you would have to make an adapter to give you a horizontal mounting point. Your only other option might be some type of frame-mounted bumper hoop. If you have the trail cam, the Mopar brackets should keep the lights from blocking it. If I remember right, one of the photos on the BD website showed the lights mounted exactly as I have mine mounted.

winched2.jpg
I assume no interference with the front camera view? I was thinking of purchasing the MOPAR bumper mounts, but I also have the steel bumper, after seeing your pics with a winch installed, I think I can go without the brackets and just use the existing winch plate holes. Thanks. If you happen to have photos of the camera view that would be awesome.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
To answer the last 2 posts...

Sorry, I have no night pix and they rarely give a good indication of the lighting anyway. The LP6s with the Combo pattern have a fantastic pattern for off-road and moderate speeds. I do have a pair of BD XL-R Racer Edition spots on order that will reach significantly farther for high speeds. I have always used Rigid lighting before this pair of BD lights. The only thing I liked better about my last Rigid light bar is that it had Hyperspots with incredible reach. I expect similar or better reach from the BD XL-R Racer Edition lights that have a beam pattern only 4 degrees wide. The plan is to mount them using the brackets that come with the lights on existing steel bumper holes just outboard of the LP6 lights. They will probably get mud flung on them periodically, but that's not a problem. BD lights are sealed well and bombproof. I hit a deer about 2 weeks ago. The Jeep and deer are fine...but it shattered the winch control pack cover (Warn sent me a new cover) and bent one of the LP6 brackets. The light was not damaged. Baja Designs is sending me a new bracket.

And here's the view from the Trail Cam before winch installation. The winch does not block any of the cam view.

front cam.jpg

Sponsored

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
To answer the last 2 posts...

Sorry, I have no night pix and they rarely give a good indication of the lighting anyway. The LP6s with the Combo pattern have a fantastic pattern for off-road and moderate speeds. I do have a pair of BD XL-R Racer Edition spots on order that will reach significantly farther for high speeds. I have always used Rigid lighting before this pair of BD lights. The only thing I liked better about my last Rigid light bar is that it had Hyperspots with incredible reach. I expect similar or better reach from the BD XL-R Racer Edition lights that have a beam pattern only 4 degrees wide. The plan is to mount them using the brackets that come with the lights on existing steel bumper holes just outboard of the LP6 lights. They will probably get mud flung on them periodically, but that's not a problem. BD lights are sealed well and bombproof. I hit a deer about 2 weeks ago. The Jeep and deer are fine...but it shattered the winch control pack cover (Warn sent me a new cover) and bent one of the LP6 brackets. The light was not damaged. Baja Designs is sending me a new bracket.

And here's the view from the Trail Cam before winch installation. The winch does not block any of the cam view.

front cam.jpg
That looks good, also another question while looking at these lights, I noticed that the specs say they are rated at 90W (FWD Projecting mode), 15W (IPT Mode) and 4.14W (Backlight Mode) each, do you have factory aux switches? Assuming you wired them to be on together which switch did you use, if you have the factory aux switches? Thanks a bunch.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So I got my WATTS and AMPS confused for a minute... max AMP is 6.5 each, so my "concern" that I posted above isn't as big a "concern" anymore...

Last question (I think... LOL) how much AMBER light do these produce? Would you say an ample amount or if I am wanting more AMBER light, a different light might be a better choice?

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I wired them to one of the 40 amp aux switch circuits. Each light is rated at 7.5 amps total. I would not recommend using a 15-amp aux switch circuit. I was not interested in using the amber running lights, low/high function, or any of the other frills. I just wanted bright lights. If you also bought the wiring harness, see photo. If you plan to use the other functions, the photo does not apply.

BDwiring.jpg

Last edited:

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Stoked with my Mopar mounts and Baja Designs LP6!

Jeep Gladiator Bumper Mount For Aux Lighting Besides Mopar? E444208C-EB14-4EAF-8E61-5091E70214E3
Were the Mopar brackets as difficult to install as the instructions imply? Gotta remove the grill and a few other things to get access to where they go?

Sponsored

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Were the Mopar brackets as difficult to install as the instructions imply? Gotta remove the grill and a few other things to get access to where they go?
I believe any light mount brackets will require the same type of access. I did use the Mopar Brackets. Grill and air dam are easy to remove.

However I did not enjoy drilling (4) holes in the frame and inserting rivnuts.
If I were to do it again I would buy a couples piece of metal flat stock drill a hole to mount it to the large front bumper bolt and bend it into place. I sealed the holes and rivnuts well but it would still rust there before many other places. The mopar position works fine my my BD XL lights.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I’m planning to go with these to mount my lp6’s. Though BD now has a non-steel bumper kit that includes their mounts but I can’t tell how they work.

I actually just helped a friend install the quadratec kit on his JL. It’s 100 times easier and better in every way than the mopar kit i did on my truck. Install was so painless.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link

winched2.jpg
No issues with your winch and those molar brackets? I had the quadratec hd brackets but they won’t work now that I have a winch.
Sponsored