Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Edit: It won’t let me change the thread title. Diamondback SE not HD

• Price: DB - $1649 / Ace - $775
  • Load: DB - 400 lbs dynamic (static = 1200 lbs?) / Ace - 1200 lbs static (dynamic = 400 lbs? Although it's made of 1/8" steel, so I'd say it could do more)
  • Secure: DB - Yes (locking) / Ace - Yes (with tailgate locked)
  • Waterproof: DB - Yes / Ace - Yes
  • Weight: DB - ~70 lbs / Ace - 120 lbs
  • Construction: DB - 0.080" 3003 aluminum / Ace - 0.125" steel
  • Access: DB - Gas strut lift front and rear / Ace - Gas strut lift with main access being rear
  • Carry "tall" items: DB - Yes (fold back one of the panels) / Ace - No (must remove)
  • Items on top: DB - Cleat system / Ace - Tie down points as well as "cage" around perimeter
  • Aftermarket provisions: DB - Yes, but may need to be creative (possibly drill through? I may be wrong) / Ace - Yes; should accept most mounts (kayak, bike, offer RTT mount, etc.)
  • Installation: DB - Looks to be pretty straight forward (unsure if it requires Trail Rail option?) / Ace - Requires 10 holes to be drilled and weatherproofing is up to your install
  • Removal time: DB - ~10 minutes solo (panels separate) / Ace - ~10 minutes with a friend (one piece design and guessing at time)
  • Warranty: DB - Lifetime / Ace - Lifetime
  • Made in USA: DB - Yes / Ace - Yes

DB = 10 points / Ace = 8 points

I think to compare the two, you have to choose the SE Diamondback variant to have similar load rating, but this is tough to say without knowing the figures used as one manufacturer uses dynamic and the other uses static. To estimate, take static and divide by three for dynamic to be conservative? This ambiguous math results in a wash on load rating, so I'd rather Ace comment on their dynamic load rating than assume. I think it's fair to say that most people on here are going to hit a few ruts and bumps to get their load where it needs to go. Additionally, you can spend about $400 more and opt for the Diamondback HD to get 1600 lbs dynamic which makes it the "winner" in the on-paper side by side comp. Regardless, max payload for a properly spec'd Gladiator is what, 1600 lbs? So the HD will be stronger than the Jeep. Factor in your gear, your passengers, and so forth, I'd say the SE is better suited for the Jeep as-is.

I think it boils down to personal preference and budget at this point. Objectively with cost not being an issue, I think I'd opt for the Ace for the "cage" to feel better about securing some items and I like the versatility of mounting options (as well as their RTT mount option with future Hi-Lift, Rotopax, etc. mounts). The downfall for me is the difficult to get to items in the bed towards the cab. The ability for it to raise is a big bonus, but I wonder if it is functional with a tent or something mounted on top (will the struts hold? will the tent make contact with the Jeep's top?). As a bonus, it's half the price.

What's everyone's thoughts?

img_20191001_182052-jpg.jpg

img_20191005_094944-jpg.jpg

ACEJTUD-AA_2000x.jpg

ACEJTUD-CC_2000x.jpg

ACEJTUD-V_2000x.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
They are each excellent products, and I like each of them in their own way, but for myself, I'm leaning strongly towards the Diamondback (still deciding if SE or HD, leaning towards HD). For myself, the option to be able to remove/reinstall the DB all by myself (vs the Ace needing two people) plus the DB being more manageable to handle and store if I take it off the truck/ while it is off the truck, are the deciding factors. I don't expect to take the cover off very often, but I want to be able to, without constraints, when I do need to take it off. If it weren't for those "handling" factors, I would like the Ace a lot.

One consideration on price - the difference may not be as big as it seems at first glance. DB is a _delivered_ price (with shipping) the Ace, other than an introductory free shipping that's now expired, you have to add shipping cost on top of the price of the Ace. In my location (not sure if it varies by location) that adds $250. Still less expensive than the DB, but it's no longer in the "1/2 the price" range.

No disrespect to the Ace, looks like a great product and I am glad that it is offered.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
@kd1yt
Good point on pricing. When I was taking pricing into consideration in my initial post I had been looking at Ace's posts on here that included the $250 credit and didn't think of expiration.

Another point for Diamondback over Ace is the capability to still gain quick access to the front of the bed even with things mounted on top. The only other thing I can see that would give this level of access would be to have a full topper (albeit needing to climb into the bed to get to it). I found this picture for a Tacoma to show what I mean.

img_3376-jpg.jpg

I feel between the two the Diamondback may be the better grab. A downfall that I have is that I wouldn't be able to mount an awning like a full topper unless I can find a way to mount it to the hardtop only (leaving the capability to remove the Freedom Panels still).

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
@kd1yt
Good point on pricing. When I was taking pricing into consideration in my initial post I had been looking at Ace's posts on here that included the $250 credit and didn't think of expiration.

Another point for Diamondback over Ace is the capability to still gain quick access to the front of the bed even with things mounted on top. The only other thing I can see that would give this level of access would be to have a full topper (albeit needing to climb into the bed to get to it). I found this picture for a Tacoma to show what I mean.

img_3376-jpg.jpg

I feel between the two the Diamondback may be the better grab. A downfall that I have is that I wouldn't be able to mount an awning like a full topper unless I can find a way to mount it to the hardtop only (leaving the capability to remove the Freedom Panels still).
I have seen that tacoma image as well. It looks cool, but I don't know how easy it would be to pull off in practice. The options for mounting a rack are limited unless you are ok with drilling through a very expensive cover. Diamondback sells a rack but it is stupid expensive.

Don't get me wrong I love mine, I just wish there was an easier way to mount a rack.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
FYI - all the diamondback add ons require you to drill through the cover.

Eventually I'm going with the HD version, stronger is just better in my opinion. Especially since I plan on putting a tent etc on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
I have seen that tacoma image as well. It looks cool, but I don't know how easy it would be to pull off in practice. The options for mounting a rack are limited unless you are ok with drilling through a very expensive cover. Diamondback sells a rack but it is stupid expensive.

Don't get me wrong I love mine, I just wish there was an easier way to mount a rack.

Eventually I'm going with the HD version, stronger is just better in my opinion. Especially since I plan on putting a tent etc on it.
What is done if you choose to remove the racks? Do you just run a screw through it with a rubber washer to make it watertight?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

Wow that is kind of terrible. I was thinking for the cost they replaced the cleats or something. I really wish there was something that could connect to where the cleats are installed. I don't need a rack often so the cost is kind of a detractor for me.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Wow that is kind of terrible. I was thinking for the cost they replaced the cleats or something. I really wish there was something that could connect to where the cleats are installed. I don't need a rack often so the cost is kind of a detractor for me.
Ace's cover has provisions put in place to accept most racks / mounts without the need to drill any holes. It was certainly a plus for me for that exact reason.

BUT once you start pricing everything out if you intend on putting a rack on top, you really start to approach topper prices. If ARE comes out to say that it can handle a decent dynamic load, I may be going that route. Otherwise, the price of a Diamondback with the proprietary ($$) racks/mounts that you have to drill through start to rapidly approach the price of things like RLD or Alucab with a lot more to offer at that pricepoint.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
What is done if you choose to remove the racks? Do you just run a screw through it with a rubber washer to make it watertight?
So I going to mount rails on top of the diamondback, that the cross bars slide onto (then tent on them). The rails will stay on the diamondback all the time, but cross bars and tent won't. Icantfi d a good picture for you, andfo t have I e setup yet. But if you youtu.be search for "overland last line of defense" there is a good video on it with a Toyota truck.

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
Yeah I was seriously looking at adding the headache rack to the diamondback, but you have to drill new holes in the cover to install.

I don't mind drilling for the slide rails...I'll make sure they are water tight.

Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So I going to mount rails on top of the diamondback, that the cross bars slide onto (then tent on them). The rails will stay on the diamondback all the time, but cross bars and tent won't. Icantfi d a good picture for you, andfo t have I e setup yet. But if you youtu.be search for "overland last line of defense" there is a good video on it with a Toyota truck.
That's exactly right. I also copied the Tacoma from the youtube video. It's really no big deal to drill the holes. The Front Runner tracks come with a rubber base and I also squeezed some silicone sealant into the holes before I added the screws/washers/nusts. I have had ZERO leaks. The improvement in versatility and utility are well worth the hassle of drilling.

I like the idea of adding a piece of track to the center section to allow a load bar to be mounted there and the front to be opened even with a load across both bars.

20191110_131710449_iOS.jpg

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Arborist
That's exactly right. I also copied the Tacoma from the youtube video. It's really no big deal to drill the holes. The Front Runner tracks come with a rubber base and I also squeezed some silicone sealant into the holes before I added the screws/washers/nusts. I have had ZERO leaks. The improvement in versatility and utility are well worth the hassle of drilling.

I like the idea of adding a piece of track to the center section to allow a load bar to be mounted there and the front to be opened even with a load across both bars.

Nice!

Can't wait till I can get mine set up like that. I have all the parts (except for the cover now). Picked up the tent tonight too.

Reactions: Tim

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
To me the Ace would be the choice for dedicated overlanding with tent mounted and other stuff that bolts onto the lip. For general coverage and flexibility to remove or access the bed front the DB gets the win. As well as looks. I love the look of my DB SE but the rim around the Ace is a certain statement you may or may not permanently want. I've been thinking about drilling the DB to mount a bike/ski rack system, no qualms about a few new holes and they will seal fine with some silicon and a bolt through. Maybe in the Spring.

Last edited:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

Nice I like that setup. What is the kit you ordered for the rack?

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Nice I like that setup. What is the kit you ordered for the rack?
I contacted Front Runner Racks and explained what I wanted to accomplish and they put together a parts list for me. Here is what I ended up with:

(1) Roof Load Bar Pair 1425mm(W) - by Front Runner
SKU: LBSK016 $140.00

(1) Universal Track / 1400mm(L) - by Front Runner
SKU: TRAC002 $122.00

(2) Pickup Roll Top Leg Mount - by Front Runner
SKU: LASS028 $157.90
Sponsored