Sponsored

TPMS died what to do

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Over the weekend I had the dash light up to service TPMS and the picture below leads me to believe my left rear TPMS sensor died. So my question is, since I have aftermarket wheels (but I did buy OE TPMS sensors for them), will the dealer warranty it or should I just go to a local tire shop to get it fixed?

If warranty is out of the question, are the batteries replaceable? If not, can I take one of my stock wheels and have them swap the TPMS instead of buying a new sensor?

TIA.

2660845F-98EC-4B08-B703-C5E5805ECFC5.jpeg
Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I would check with your dealership service manager. Only they would have an accurate answer for you. Good luck.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
TPMS sensors are among the biggest scams in the industry.

In my experience (not for the Jeep):

- buy new rims from a popular site such as tirerack and pay extra for manufacturer compatible TPMS sensors (supposedly the same ones the manufacturer uses), and dealer still doesn't guarantee calibration will succeed unless you buy the sensors from dealer

- dealer says they can't guarantee the calibration will succeed but you must pay for calibration (some ridiculously high price) even if the calibration doesn't succeed

- third party shops can't afford to stock all the manufacturer-specific TPMS calibration tools so they can't help you (fair enough).

- when a third party shop can calibrate TPMS sensors they say you can't remove and transfer your stock TPMS sensors, gotta buy new ones, because "they always get damaged on removal" (really? How hard can this be? Sorry but my BS'ometer just went off)

Public rant over. Continues in my head.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN! :D

Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I would have preferred the non-sensor TPMS system, but I do like having the tire pressure readings in the display provided with the in-tire sensors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Only your dealer can answer that - anything else is mostly a guess.
Call 'em.

Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been intermittently going out. I took it to the dealer and they saw the error code and cleared it but couldn't repair because it was working while it was there.

20200121_074322.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have bought two sets of the Schrader sensors online over the last couple of years for $99 bucks. Yep, that's $25 per sensor, and they are the quality Schrader sensors that I believe are factory equipment. So it's not a big deal. Just get some new, quality sensors and have a tire shop install. Make sure they use new hardware kits with each TPMS sensor they install to avoid leaks later!

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
Mine has been intermittently going out. I took it to the dealer and they saw the error code and cleared it but couldn't repair because it was working while it was there.

20200121_074322.jpg
Same just happened to me but mine occurred right after i had dealer rotate the tires . TPMS was fine when I hopped in then more then halfway home I lose the left front sensor . I will have to see if it is actually intermittent or totally out now

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
Same just happened to me but mine occurred right after i had dealer rotate the tires . TPMS was fine when I hopped in then more then halfway home I lose the left front sensor . I will have to see if it is actually intermittent or totally out now
Yeah mine is totally broke. I guess its possible the sensor went bad on tire rotation (those things must be brittle). Either way will take back to dealer and force them to triage the issue. Will keep thread posted

MarkO

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT
Mine is going to the dealer today. Though not 100% TPMS related, valve stem is leaking air. They have to replace the TPMS with it.
Sponsored