Sponsored

Recall & Stop Sale Issued Today, 9/12/19

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Fiat Chrysler filed documents with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dated Tuesday, recalling 3,427 Gladiators over the potential for their rear driveshaft to fracture. The Gladiator debuted in late 2018 as a Jeep Wrangler-style pickup for the 2020 model year, and as of June, FCA reported having sold 7,252 Gladiators in the U.S. thus far.

The recall, documents posted by NHTSA said, is for Gladiators built between Dec. 15, 2018 and June 25 of this year. The estimated number of the nearly 3,500 Gladiators with a defect is only 5 percent, but likely because of the nature of the recall, a stop sale was issued on affected Gladiators until a fix is complete.

Trucks involved in the recall could experience a driveshaft fracture, courtesy of some grease left off during assembly. From the documents:

Certain 2020 MY Jeep Gladiator vehicles built from December 15, 2018, through June 25, 2019, may have a rear driveshaft that was assembled without grease in the monoblock joint portion of the driveshaft. [...]

A monoblock joint is a constant velocity joint within the center of the driveshaft. A monoblock without grease may overheat and seize, which may result in a fractured rear driveshaft.

The documents said a fractured rear driveshaft could separate, potentially leading to a loss of motive power if the truck is in rear-wheel-drive mode, or road debris if the driveshaft completely separates from the truck. Owners, the documents said, could experience a noise or vibration before any fracturing.

Documents said FCA noticed the grease error when it received four driveshafts from warranty repairs and sent them to the supplier for analysis around June, and decided to issue the recall in late August. FCA also said it isn’t aware of any injuries or crashes related to the issue, but that it’s had six warranty claims. FCA confirmed, according to the documents, that trucks not included in the recall were found through supplier records to have been built containing grease.

FCA said it’ll replace the driveshafts for free in the recall, and that owners who have paid for work related to the problem elsewhere will be reimbursed with the right documentation. The plan is to notify owners on Oct. 18.

https://jalopnik.com/stop-sale-issued-for-certain-2020-jeep-gladiators-over-1838067116

Until then, maybe pay attention to any vibrations that might occur, should you choose to take the truck out of the garage. It might not just be the noise of the whole town abuzz about your mysterious Wrangler pickup truck, but your truck itself, about to have a fractured rear driveshaft.
Sponsored

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
So if we are in the affected date range but recall doesn’t show against vin we are good to go ? (Skeptical )

jncomatrix

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR LE Black, 1996 XJ 4.0 5.5" long arm, 2003 Matrix XRS,
Occupation
Commercial Vehicle Director
I logged into my mopar account and said that I have this recall on my launch edition. build date in door jam is 6/19 i called my local dealer and had him verify my vin. Which it does show on their end that I have the issue. Havent felt anything yet. Dealer said they had no fix in stock or what the direction was other than seeing the recall on the screen He talked with parts dept and said the same thing nothing in stock for it yet. They would contact me when they had the fix in. Now i havent gotten underneath so see for myself yet if there is grease in the cv joint/viscous coupler. Just dont want to be driving down the road or freeway and blamo!!!! im in the ditch with a totalled Launch Edition that i waited months for and can not be easily replaced. @JeepCares

Sponsored

CG07SUT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX being replaced by Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction
I reached out to Jeep Cares and received an email that they have no idea when the parts/repair will be made available. I also inquired why they continue to ship out new Gladiators by the truckload, yet cannot source the parts needed to get current owners or dealer stock available. Sad, very sad.

I purchased a new Gladiator and cannot even take delivery of it, it sits in the Dealer’s service bay awaiting direction from FCA. They let me know today that they received word to pull 6 more out of stock due to the recall. Jeep/FCA need to get this ironed out quickly as dealers are not able to even sell the ones they have on-hand and those that have the trucks cannot drive.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
From Autoblog.com (and several others):

"The NHTSA predicts that only 5% of the affected trucks experienced issues, but FCA isn’t taking any chances and is offering a free replacement of the entire rear driveshaft at no cost to the customer. So far, six warranty claims have been filed but there are no reports of failures, accidents, or injuries from the recall."

So, if I'm reading this correctly... out of a total of 3,427 Gladiators being recalled, if only 5% are affected that's roughly 171 Gladiators that will actually need the driveshaft replaced under this recall.

Since my Gladiator is part of this recall, I wonder if my dealer can inspect it now to determine if the driveshaft is indeed defective BEFORE and regardless of FCA having the repair parts available? If it is determined to need replacement, I may elect to not drive it until the parts are available and my Gladiator is repaired. @JeepCares

Last edited:

no1marine

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Something does not smell right here - if the recall was for a lubrication issue then why did Jeep change the driveshaft from Steel to Aluminum for the recall?

Why the change in Metallurgy?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Fiat Chrysler filed documents with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dated Tuesday, recalling 3,427 Gladiators over the potential for their rear driveshaft to fracture. The Gladiator debuted in late 2018 as a Jeep Wrangler-style pickup for the 2020 model year, and as of June, FCA reported having sold 7,252 Gladiators in the U.S. thus far.

The recall, documents posted by NHTSA said, is for Gladiators built between Dec. 15, 2018 and June 25 of this year. The estimated number of the nearly 3,500 Gladiators with a defect is only 5 percent, but likely because of the nature of the recall, a stop sale was issued on affected Gladiators until a fix is complete.

Trucks involved in the recall could experience a driveshaft fracture, courtesy of some grease left off during assembly. From the documents:

Certain 2020 MY Jeep Gladiator vehicles built from December 15, 2018, through June 25, 2019, may have a rear driveshaft that was assembled without grease in the monoblock joint portion of the driveshaft. [...]

A monoblock joint is a constant velocity joint within the center of the driveshaft. A monoblock without grease may overheat and seize, which may result in a fractured rear driveshaft.

The documents said a fractured rear driveshaft could separate, potentially leading to a loss of motive power if the truck is in rear-wheel-drive mode, or road debris if the driveshaft completely separates from the truck. Owners, the documents said, could experience a noise or vibration before any fracturing.

Documents said FCA noticed the grease error when it received four driveshafts from warranty repairs and sent them to the supplier for analysis around June, and decided to issue the recall in late August. FCA also said it isn’t aware of any injuries or crashes related to the issue, but that it’s had six warranty claims. FCA confirmed, according to the documents, that trucks not included in the recall were found through supplier records to have been built containing grease.

FCA said it’ll replace the driveshafts for free in the recall, and that owners who have paid for work related to the problem elsewhere will be reimbursed with the right documentation. The plan is to notify owners on Oct. 18.

https://jalopnik.com/stop-sale-issued-for-certain-2020-jeep-gladiators-over-1838067116

Until then, maybe pay attention to any vibrations that might occur, should you choose to take the truck out of the garage. It might not just be the noise of the whole town abuzz about your mysterious Wrangler pickup truck, but your truck itself, about to have a fractured rear driveshaft.
My JT was built 9/19, but isn’t under any recall notice. Wonder if it was built later

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My JT was built 9/19, but isn’t under any recall notice. Wonder if it was built later
If yours was built outside of the recall date window, you don’t need to worry. This is the 2nd driveshaft recall thread which has been resurrected today. What’s up with that?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If yours was built outside of the recall date window, you don’t need to worry. This is the 2nd driveshaft recall thread which has been resurrected today. What’s up with that?
One of the forum members made a post about finding out about his recall today and probably saw the related threads below his
Sponsored