Sponsored

Do we know when the Ecodiesel will be released?

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
No, neither can i, and the last thing Jeep Oz need are structural problems with people towing at capacity.......

While I was excited to buy a Gladiator as my retirement tow vehicle in 2 years, it's looking more and more like the Landcruiser v8 diesel will get my money. Can't afford reliability problems in the Oz Outback, and that's where well be spending a lot of our time.
Sponsored

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
No, neither can i, and the last thing Jeep Oz need are structural problems with people towing at capacity.......

While I was excited to buy a Gladiator as my retirement tow vehicle in 2 years, it's looking more and more like the Landcruiser v8 diesel will get my money. Can't afford reliability problems in the Oz Outback, and that's where well be spending a lot of our time.
Any reason it has to be a diesel JT? GenRight Off Road has confirmed that they will be doing an extended range fuel tank for the JT, so the 3.6L should be able to get some good range with that mod. Of course, if you want all that low end torque, it looks like the Landcruiser will be the winning ticket.

Just out of curiosity, what does the Landcruiser v8 Diesel crew cab go for down there?

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesels are number 1 here in Oz, top selling vehicles overall are hilux and ranger in diesel dual cab. Diesel is often up to 30 cents a litre cheaper than unleaded, and obviously a lot of aussies tow caravans and prefer the diesel for that. Some manufacturers don't even offer a petrol version, such as Isuzu in the Dmax Ute and MUX SUV.

A new landcruiser twin cab v8 turbo diesel is around 75000 AUD plus tray etc, but there are plenty of very well setup used with low kms on the market.
And legendary torque, reliability and resale value.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Diesels are number 1 here in Oz, top selling vehicles overall are hilux and ranger in diesel dual cab. Diesel is often up to 30 cents a litre cheaper than unleaded, and obviously a lot of aussies tow caravans and prefer the diesel for that. Some manufacturers don't even offer a petrol version, such as Isuzu in the Dmax Ute and MUX SUV.
Pardon my ignorance, but do new diesels in AU all use DEF & the other diesel exhaust tech that is so problematic in the US? Assuming so, do they have as many problems with those systems there as we do here?

Last edited:

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase

A new landcruiser twin cab v8 turbo diesel is around 75000 AUD plus tray etc, but there are plenty of very well setup used with low kms on the market.
And legendary torque, reliability and resale value.
That is a lot of pros for doing diesel for sure. The 30 cent a liter is a big savings for sure.

Sponsored

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes diesels here run particulate filters, some AdBlue too, like my wife's Mazda CX7.
My Isuzu Dmax runs a DPF but instead of a sensor telling the computer it's time for a burn, the Isuzu does it every 500km regardless, hopefully bypassing a lot of the potential problems.

Toyota have a massive issue at the moment with Hilux and Prado, there is a class action coming......

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I don't remember where I heard/read it, but I remember hearing/reading that VM Motori's plant is limited on how many engines they can produce. For that reason, FCA said there would be a slow release of Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, and Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel vehicles. Since they are now offering the Ecodiesel in 3 applications, the amount of engines available for each application would be limited. I think the number was less than 8% in the Ram 1500 and something around 3% in the Wrangler and Ecodiesel. Don't quote me on those numbers, but I do remember it being a very low percentage. My guess is that those numbers will be adjusted based off sales reports.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Every day, I go to build and price, to see if they snuck the 3.0 in there yet...
Probably won’t see it until 3.0 JL production ramps up. I’ve been watching on their forums and only 6 have received their ecodiesel so far. Lots of them waiting.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Every day, I go to build and price, to see if they snuck the 3.0 in there yet...
Just for reference, Ram posted a picture of the Ecodiesel engine on their website and a short description to go with it about 6 weeks before it was actually listed as an option. I noticed that Jeep hasn't even posted a picture or short description, yet. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I thought I would share how the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel was rolled out on their website.

Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Good, so long as you tell the rest of us here when it changes. That way we don’t have to do that too. I am OK with being the second guy to get my order in.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Good, so long as you tell the rest of us here when it changes. That way we don’t have to do that too. I am OK with being the second guy to get my order in.
Roger Wilco. :like: :captain:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just for reference, Ram posted a picture of the Ecodiesel engine on their website and a short description to go with it about 6 weeks before it was actually listed as an option. I noticed that Jeep hasn't even posted a picture or short description, yet. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I thought I would share how the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel was rolled out on their website.
Side note: They moved a couple of accessories around on the engine, such as the alternator, etc. so it would be suitable for use in a Jeep. They wanted to keep some of those important parts above the water line. Is it fair to say that moving accessories around is the ONLY change they made to the JL Wrangler version of the engine in terms of hardware/internals?

So basically, the 38 extra lbs/ft of torque in the Ram application comes from where? Tune? Air intake/exhaust?
Sponsored