Degreez Heated and Cooled seat install with Katzkins leather

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
****** Warning******* I'm just some guy who wanted heated and cooled seats and this is what I did. These are not recommended by Katzkins or Leather Seats. No installer around here would do it. After going through the process, it can be done but it is not the best install. Mostly the back rest and the lumbar support is the problem.

I purchased my JTR without leather and without heated seat as I really wanted cooled seats too. I did not take time to research Katzkins to know that they would recommend or do. I am happy with my results, the seats work, they heat and cool. I also got my choice of seat color and perforations. Some may like it, some may not, its great either way.

My local katzkins installer agreed to do the leather install and would allow me to do the Degreez install. They would not be responsible for any of the work or warranty for the degreez, but will back their leather install with the 3/36 warranty.

I had MLK day off from work and they worked on that day. So Saturday night, I removed the driver's seat and removed the cloth seat covering. Honestly, I took my time and it wasn't that hard. The lumbar adjust knob doesn't look like a cover in the center, but it was/is (thanks internet). The covers are mostly plastic clips and hog rings in the center section.

Removing the seat, disconnect the main harness to the seat. Then disconnect the other plug off of that harness (it is the airbag connector). Later, I found that the tree clips for that wire must be removed on the bottom of the seat and the wire must be run out of a hole in the cloth seat to the airbag. I assume, the new leather seat covers have that hole also.
Sponsored

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pics

20200118_184028.jpg

Stock cloth seat

20200118_184045.jpg

Main Wiring harness

20200118_195736.jpg

You can see the yellow connector, that is the Airbag wiring. Disconnect the Main plug and then that one to remove the seat.

Last edited:
OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bottom

20200118_200326.jpg

The seat bottom has a steel pan near the front and then the white plastic with the clear hose is the occupancy sensor.

20200118_201453.jpg

2 screws and pull the cover off. Once off, there is another screw to remove to get the seat cloth off and new leather on.

20200118_202406.jpg

The back of your seat and the lumbar support adjuster. This thing is in the way of the cooled seats. I chose to run the unit in the middle and duct the exhaust straight down. There is little room to put any of the equipment and not have it hit part of that system. A better choice may to be delete the lumbar support system?!?!?

20200118_203510.jpg

Once you disconnect the airbag sensor, you have to remove the tree clips from the bottom of the pan and run that through a hole in the cloth upper and to the airbag. The airbag is in a "sleeve" in the cloth that you remove.

Last edited:
OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seat pan

20200119_131829.jpg

I set the distribution pad on the top of the seat cushion. You have a lot a room to move this and you will only interfere with 1 row of hog rings. I marked the position of the pad. Then, I traced about 1/2" inside of that mark and removed a depth of foam from the seat cushion about 1/2" down. The distribution pad will fit in the hole that I made. I used contact cement and the adhesive on the pad itself. This will keep your seat cushion level and not "lumpy".

20200119_132948.jpg

The occupancy sensor sits inside of a hard plastic. That plastic uses to tree pins to hold the position in the front to the pan. I radiused the plastic to cut a hole in the metal pan for the supply hose. I got lucky when I cut the cushion because I narrowly missed the hog ring attachment bar inside the cushion. Better to be lucky than good sometimes. You can't cut too much of the plastic as the sensor itself has some type of liquid/gel to detect your body in the seat. From my reading, I believe this adjusts the "smart" airbag system and has something to do with autopark system. There is also a seatbelt sensor.

20200119_141916.jpg

I marked a hole for the supply line and cut it out with a Dremel. It's just large enough for the hose to fit through. I then filed the edges and shot a coat of satin black paint to prevent rust. On the underside of the seat, there is a main support beam/bar, so there is only a limited choice in where you can cut the hole.

20200119_142334.jpg

The seat adjustment lever (for moving the seat fore and aft) also plays into where you can mount your TED and fan.

Last edited:
OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Distribution pad bottom

20200119_145507.jpg

With pad glued into the seat foam, it will not move it's position and it is level with the rest of the seat.

20200119_164004.jpg

I then attached the TED (Thermal Electric Device) to the supply hose into the distribution pad. I used silicon to seal the hose to the pad. I then attached the supply fan to a hose and attached it to the TED. I used small screws to keep them together. Zip ties to hold everything in place. But honestly, you only have a few choices on the bottom due to the many sensor and connectors already there, accounting for all of the movement of the seat, and the length of the supplied wiring kit for the heat/cooler (I got lucky on that length being exactly long enough for my install).

20200119_142334.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back

20200119_185854.jpg

I looked at connecting lower to the bottom and on the side. However, that lumbar adjuster moves a lot. There isn't any room to mount on the outside of the "framing" as the plastic back cover indents in the seat back. The exhaust hose runs down the center of the seat to the bottom and must be connected or the fan will ingest the exhaust preventing proper heating or cooling. The hose location in the center does seem to create a small ridge in the center of the seat. Nothing major, but if you drive a lot for long distances, you may notice it.

20200119_185912.jpg

Front of the upper seat with the supply hose hole. You can see the pad indent that I created for the pad. I used a box cutter type razor knife. This, like most everything, I learned from watching the Leather Seats.com install video. If you tackle this, you must watch that video.

20200119_202533.jpg

Seat installed ready for the local leather shop to install the leather Katzkins. That shop doesn't do electrical, so they hired out the switch and wiring install to another shop. I put blue tape on any screws that I have to remove, in order to help the leather installers know what I did.

Last edited:
OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Front seat and switch.

20200121_193111.jpg

Leather installed. Of course it is the coldest day of the winter for us today. There are a few wrinkles that the shop said will flatten out with a few days in the sun. The switch in on the gear shift console, red lights on. I have the shop install heated seats on the passenger side. I was not sure how the project would turn out and did not want to "waste" money on both seat. 90% of my driving is me (work and back) or with my 7 yr old (in the back).

It is black and lunar grey (sample color was closest to my Billet Silver exterior) and Cardinal stitching. I have full body color and wings with perf in the center body.

Last edited:
OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked at katzkins from a shop on ebay. I sent emails to them. They will order any color you would like. They will also order Degreez (or just heated pads). The tech guy at Leather seats.com was very helpful and their install video on a Silverado seat must be watched. They have a follow up video to that concerning cloth seat back without ventilation. Thankfully, it seems the molle panel has a lot of small holes to provide enough air for the back of the seat unit. This is something that you COULD do. I spend about 8-10 hours on seat removal and degreez install. The second seat would probably go faster. IMO, the seat bottom was a lot less of an issue than the seat back. There is a very good reason that katzkins and leatherseats don't recommend them in the Jeep. Also, you will have electronics that probably are water proof in a position to get wet.

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
cool stuff (no pun intended)

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had them for a few days. They work great, heat at least right now. I can't hear it when it is on, probably due to the soft top.

The leather seats are very soft and I like having something other than solid black.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
I wonder how the heated / cooled Degreez unit would work under the factory cloth? hmmmmmm

OP
OP

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably not well. You must get perferated leather and reticulated foam ( whatever that is).

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Probably not well. You must get perferated leather and reticulated foam ( whatever that is).
Do you have any pictures of the inside of the stock covers? I have a hard time believing the cloth seats would allow less air to flow than perforated leather.

FrankW GOBI

First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Self-Employed
I finally got everything installed. I did the back a bit different then Max did. I also cut down the pads to fit in the existing seats as I have installed the factory seats again. They should provide enough air flow but I will let you know when I get it all wired up. Here is a picture of the back. I vented it down and out the side where the seat pivots. It's not perfect but should vent it out given there is a natural hole there in the seat. I also custom fabled a peice of aluminum to mount everything to. I put a very thin plastic on the back to make sure there was no rattling.

14EC41FC-7391-4C3E-BCA5-A1225F3E0D00.jpeg

80FD882A-BDD7-4FBE-AC9A-C09D4958BC27.jpeg

4EE17DEF-F6E9-4050-A480-FDECAD669D1A.jpeg

CA3D1785-076C-4A96-B830-A71855F6C28B.jpeg
Sponsored