First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
Has anyone attempted to close up any of the gaps on those flimsy inner fenders? Are there better ones available with better coverage?
Sponsored

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
Has anyone attempted to close up any of the gaps on those flimsy inner fenders? Are there better ones available with better coverage?
I initially bought metal inner fenders with plans to replace the plastic ones to work around the "sucked into the wheel at speed" issue. However, I've taken my Rubi w 2" Mopar lift on highway going 82+ mph for hours at a time and have had no problems, so I returned them. The metal inner fender options I see out there tend to have less coverage than the factory plastics. Since I'm staying with stock flares, the factory plastic liners are a good continuous cover to keep the Mag Choride crap CO spreads in Winter out of my engine bay. If you remove the factory liner it exposes pockets and wiring for the lights up under the stock flare, this has been discussed in other threads. Some have trimmed back the factory liner leaving some of it in place to cover the wiring and such but then also run metal inner fenders. This seemed like a lot of work to me to solve a non-problem, so they went back.

Last edited:

Richard Rose

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch
Occupation
Retired
I initially bought metal inner fenders with plans to replace the plastic ones to work around the "sucked into the wheel at speed" issue. However, I've taken my Rubi w 2" Mopar lift on highway going 82+ mph for hours at a time and have had no problems, so I returned them. The metal inner fender options I see out there tend to have less coverage than the factory plastics. Since I'm staying with stock flares, the factory plastic liners are a good continuous cover to keep the Mag Choride crap CO spreads in Winter out of my engine bay. If you remove the factory liner it exposes pockets and wiring for the lights up under the stock flare, this has been discussed in other threads. Some have trimmed back the factory liner leaving some of it in place to cover the wiring and such but then also run metal inner fenders. This seemed like a lot of work to me to solve a non-problem, so they went back.
I took a trip from North Idaho to Eastern Kentucky in August of 21 and again in late May of this year. On the way back in 2021 , heading west through South Dakota and Wyoming my driver side fender liner was blown or sucked into the wheel, chewing off a small portion of it. This past May, again heading west in the South Dakota and Wyoming winds my passenger side liner was sucked into the wheel and severely chewed up. With the wind blowing I couldn’t hear the noise being made by the tire slowly chewing up liner.
Sponsored